International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

JSA DVD (Korean edition)-region free?

Old 04-26-02, 10:40 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 57
JSA DVD (Korean edition)-region free?

I've been browsing different sites and well, I've been getting conflicting information regarding the Korean DVD edition of JSA. For most part, people seem to say it's region 3 only but dvdasian has it listed as region free and I think someone told me that it's actually not region free but encoded for region 1 and 3. Can someone who has the DVD clarify this? Actually, I'm interested to know if it works for region 1 DVD player (I own Panasonic DVD-RV30) as I don't own a region free DVD player. Thanks in advance for your help.
erhee is offline  
Old 04-26-02, 10:54 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 62
Like I said in the other forum, it is coded for regions 1 and 3 and not region-free. If you're still skeptical, the Hong Kong release is definitely region-free and is about half the price.
Tristran is offline  
Old 04-26-02, 02:45 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 57
Thank*, Tri*tran, for your reply. I gue** I'm ignorant but how can a DVD be encoded for two different region*? I know a DVD can be encoded for one *pecific region or be region 0 but thi* i* the fir*t time I heard about a DVD being encoded for two different region* only.

Al*o, do you actually have the J*A DVD and tried it out on a region 1 DVD player? *orry, I don't mean to be a punk or anything but I ju*t want to really make *ure I can play thi* DVD before I plunk down twenty*ome dollar* for it. I know there i* a HK ver*ion available but I really don't want to get that if I can help it. That i* why I really want to make *ure. I don't want thi* to be a fluke and be *tuck with a DVD that I can't even play. Well, thank* for under*tanding.
erhee is offline  
Old 04-26-02, 03:58 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 862
Is there any review of these two (Korean and HK) versions?

Thanks.
cine is offline  
Old 04-27-02, 12:00 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 118
There are a bunch of DVDs that are R2/R4. This is the first time I heard of R1/R3 but I trust Tristan has the disc as I beleive he does sell Korean discs online. I'm hoping to receive the disc sometime soon. I really enjoyed this movie a lot.
Trencher is offline  
Old 04-27-02, 06:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: harpers ferry, wv
Posts: 659
i just watched the korean disc. the extras aren't subtitled. they have some good stuff on there but without the subs, it's kinda pointless. as for the picture, i thought that it had some softness to it, kinda like the MUSA dvd but it was a really good picture (i haven't seen the HK dvd so i can't compare). i listened to the DTS track on it and it was damn good when it needed to be, but it's not an action oriented movie so i wasn't expecting too much from the sound department. the english subs are excellent, i noticed a flaw or two but other than that, they were great. i thought that the movie was awesome, having been to the JSA myself a few years ago when i was in the military, they did an outstanding job of recreating the JSA, even down to the PROPAGANDA VILLAGE playing propaganda over the loud speakers on the north korean side. i have some pictures of the real JSA in case anyone is interested, just email me at [email protected] and i can send them to you.
dyerjp is offline  
Old 04-27-02, 11:16 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
That's the case with many of these 2-Disc Korean DVDs. The extras aren't subbed, so if you're not fluent in the language, go for the cheaper HK version.
Civic2oo1 is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 04:20 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by erhee
Thank*, Tri*tran, for your reply. I gue** I'm ignorant but how can a DVD be encoded for two different region*? I know a DVD can be encoded for one *pecific region or be region 0 but thi* i* the fir*t time I heard about a DVD being encoded for two different region* only.

Al*o, do you actually have the J*A DVD and tried it out on a region 1 DVD player? *orry, I don't mean to be a punk or anything but I ju*t want to really make *ure I can play thi* DVD before I plunk down twenty*ome dollar* for it. I know there i* a HK ver*ion available but I really don't want to get that if I can help it. That i* why I really want to make *ure. I don't want thi* to be a fluke and be *tuck with a DVD that I can't even play. Well, thank* for under*tanding.
What's with the "s"? - is your keboard missing a letter or something?

I just watched JSA - the HK release. It's a fantastic DVD. Great transfer and great presentation. The movie itself is really really good. I was reminded of A Midnight Clear while watching this... although since it's been years since I've seen it, I don't remember exactly why I'm reminded of it. JSA is only marred by some spotty acting by a few english speaking characters and the main girl who appears on the cover. She's outright terrible in this. It's okay though because she's not in it all that much. The main characters are all superb actors though. I laughed out loud at some scenes and the rest of the time I was simply riveted to the screen. Outstanding film and the HK DVD is no slouch (and it's region free, so there you go). Highly recommended.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 07:46 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,604
Originally posted by Trigger
What's with the "s"? - is your keboard missing a letter or something?
It was a bug in the forum. Allot of people's posts were this way. Very weird.
roseart is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 11:59 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California
Posts: 1,137
I also watched the all-region HK version recently, and agree that it's a great film with a great picture, even though it's non-anamorphic. It's also a very nice package, with an outer slipcover around a clear keepcase. Single disc, no inserts.
I wouldn't be surprised if this shows up here for region 1, like Shiri did.
dvd2001 is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 12:54 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,604
Originally posted by dvd2001

I wouldn't be surprised if this shows up here for region 1, like Shiri did.
Did you not get the 4 post cards? If not, I guess they really were limited.
roseart is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 01:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by dvd2001
I also watched the all-region HK version recently, and agree that it's a great film with a great picture, even though it's non-anamorphic. It's also a very nice package, with an outer slipcover around a clear keepcase. Single disc, no inserts.
I wouldn't be surprised if this shows up here for region 1, like Shiri did.
My copy had inserts - it had 4 or 5 postcards with stills from the film and it had a booklet with a bunch of info about the JSA, the actors and the film.
Trigger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.