DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   MUSA S.E for 19$ (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/202645-musa-s-e-19%24.html)

tiger121 04-24-02 11:06 PM

MUSA S.E for 19$

www.krdvd.com has MUsa S.E for 19.00$ best price ive seen for it

Heliosphann 04-25-02 12:17 AM

Has anyone ordered from this site? Looks kinda sketchy... Well at least the site's design is minimalistic, which is kinda nice in a way...

Musa according to the front of site counts as two dvd's when shipped. So it's $4.00 total shipping for it. That's still not to bad.

They've also got the Korean ver of Pulp Fiction.....

trae 04-25-02 05:19 AM

Pretty reputable from what ive read from others users comments...and the owner frequents this board i believe.

Heliosphann 04-25-02 05:45 AM

Yeah, I looked into it some and it and that's what I came up with... They're checkout system is down, but I think you can e-mail them orders. I sent one so I'll find out soon!

dleedlee 04-25-02 07:50 AM

I think they only use PayPal, though.

eXcentris 04-25-02 12:35 PM

I ordered from them once and everything went without a glitch. The checkout doesn't work so you need to e-mail them orders. And yes, they only take Paypal for now. A plus for me is that they are in Canada, so no worries about custom's charges.

mugwump 04-25-02 12:52 PM

I got a copy of Musa from them last week and everything went smoothly. Just send them an email detailing what you want and where you live and they'll let you know the total to pay via PayPal.

no pants 04-25-02 01:28 PM

--

just ordered from them yesterday, and they emailed me back quickly answering all my questions about the musa dvd and how to order. total shipped to the US, san francisco was $23, it comes with a 80 page hardback book too, so that's also why shipping is more.

pants

gabegarwick 04-25-02 02:15 PM

doh on me! :) I'm getting it from poker for $29!

tiger121 04-25-02 04:40 PM

i ordered from hkfilx for 29$ but they should match krdvd.com cause its there policy

zerotl 04-26-02 09:15 AM

what a coincidence

I just saw MUSA (Great flick), then I started looking around here for the older korean movie threads and I stumble into this, their price seem to beat mrkwang. So here's a list of what I'm planning of getting, comments are welcome>>

JSA
Friend (When is this going on sale?)
Memento Mori
Attack Gas Station
Nowhere To Hide
Jakarta
Beat
Il Mare
Christmas In August
Tell Me Something
Barking Dogs Never Bite

If you're only buying three what would it be? I'm kind of low in paypal cash, tnx.

As a sidenote, after watching MUSA, I popped in the 2nd DVD which to a non-korean understanding fan is pretty worthless. Why would someone pay 5 bucks extra for a double disc, if the HK version is way cheaper? Is it the quality?

Civic2oo1 04-26-02 11:04 AM

Also with the extra you pay for the R3 version you get the 80 page hardbook whereas the HK version (if a legal one exists out there) doesn't have it.

Here are my opinions on the movies you listed.
JSA-good, worth a buy
Friend (When is this going on sale?)-good movie
Memento Mori-not bad, not a movie I can watch more then once
Attack Gas Station-funny movie, replayable
Nowhere To Hide-Decent, not worth a buy
Jakarta-decent movie, worth a buy if you could find it cheap
Beat-great movie, my favorite of all-time
Il Mare-haven't seen
Christmas In August-good movie, good DVD
Tell Me Something-great movie, worth a buy
Barking Dogs Never Bite-good movie

So if I had to say which 3 or 4 to get I would definately get Beat, Tell Me Something, and either JSA or Friend. Jakarta and Christmas in August are outside picks.

roseart 04-26-02 11:30 AM

Re: what a coincidence

Originally posted by zerotl
JSA
Friend (When is this going on sale?)
Memento Mori
Attack Gas Station
Nowhere To Hide
Jakarta
Beat
Il Mare
Christmas In August
Tell Me Something
Barking Dogs Never Bite

If you're only buying three what would it be? I'm kind of low in paypal cash, tnx.

If I was only able to buy 3, I would say:

- JSA - Great film.
- Tell Me Something - if you liked SOTL, you like this.
- Friend - Very cool..

And if you could get a 4th:
- Libra Me - Not on your list, but if you liked Backdraft, this movie beats it IMO..

Trigger 05-03-02 04:16 AM

Re: what a coincidence

Originally posted by zerotl
"comments are welcome--"

JSA - Fantastic film, the HK dvd is great and it's cheaper
Memento Mori - decent haunted school flick. It's part 2 of another film or else a remake of sorts. Worth watching... actually has some really great stuff in it, but something was missing.
Attack Gas Station - very funny and easy to digest. Good times watching this.
Il Mare - Beautiful. I love this film. Also look for Ditto.

Here's what I'm thinking about ordering... anyone care to comment on my list? Cheaper versions to be had? Movies in list suck? I'm also still looking for a place to buy Volcano High.

Samurai Fiction
Poppoya
Owl's Castle
Love Letter
Kids Return
Hana-Bi
Gemini
April Story
Bad Guy
Christmas In August
Bungee Jumping of Their Own
Address Unknown
Guns & Talks
The Humanist
Jakarta
The Legend of Gingko
Musa
My Wife is a Gangster
Nowhere to Hide
Kick the Moon
My Sassy Girl
Sorum
Pulp Fiction

gabegarwick 05-03-02 07:30 AM

Re: Re: what a coincidence

Originally posted by Trigger
Here's what I'm thinking about ordering... anyone care to comment on my list? Cheaper versions to be had? Movies in list suck? I'm also still looking for a place to buy Volcano High.

My Wife is a Gangster
Nowhere to Hide

My review for Nowhere to Hide (I seem to be one of very few who really dig this movie.) :hscratch: :)

I just watched My Wife is a Gangster last weekend. I'll get a review up soon, Score= 8/10. Very enjoyable. Recommended buy.

I just got Musa, probably watch it tonight... About half of the others on your list Trigger are on mine too, hehe. Imagine that! :D

Really interested in Hana-Bi and Guns&Talks...

cheers,
Gabe

eluminati 05-04-02 04:14 AM

I've gotten all my Korean dvds from DDDhouse (they seem to be adding more every week). Any other places that are similar in price but more selection? Thanks.

Trigger 05-04-02 05:14 AM

Originally posted by eluminati
I've gotten all my Korean dvds from DDDhouse (they seem to be adding more every week). Any other places that are similar in price but more selection? Thanks.
Try DVDShelf.com for similar prices and a few more Korean titles. For alot more korean titles - try krdvd.com

eluminati 05-05-02 01:52 PM

Thanks. I've visited dvdshelf.com and quite frankly, it looks like a mess and so I haven't ordered from them yet. Krdvd looks like a good option and they're selling the authentic Korean version.

Trigger 05-05-02 04:01 PM

Originally posted by eluminati
Thanks. I've visited dvdshelf.com and quite frankly, it looks like a mess and so I haven't ordered from them yet. Krdvd looks like a good option and they're selling the authentic Korean version.
dvdshelf is actually a pretty good place to order from and they have lots of harder to find stuff listed. The only problem with them is that sometimes they won't ship something if it's not in stock, so rather than holding your order until everything is in stock they will just send what they have in stock and not charge you for the other stuff. They don't charge you if it doesn't ship though. :) I've ordered a few times from them and don't have any complaints other than that.

young 05-05-02 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: what a coincidence

Originally posted by gabegarwick
My review for Nowhere to Hide (I seem to be one of very few who really dig this movie.) :hscratch: :)
i really like nowhere to hide also. very stylistic but it isn't gratuitous. i was very pleasantly suprised by how good it was - funny, poignant, relentless at times. i just don't get why it makes me change to 16x9 in order to see it properly. is it a defect?

musa is also excellent, imho.

i just started watching korean movies and i'm off to a good start. :D

Furious 05-05-02 08:10 PM

Nowhere to hide

The video was flagged improperly in Nowhere to Hide which is why to get it to display properly the 16x9 switch is required to force the outputtted image to switch into "tall mode." The downside is that you aren't really taking advantage of the added resolution that a properly flagged, anamorphic transfer provides. It's definitely a premastering error, and I believe it was subsequently corrected, some months after many Koreans complained about the issue.

young 05-05-02 08:18 PM

well, that's interesting. thanks for the explanation.

i got nowhere to hide a month ago and it has that issue so i'm not sure if they corrected it. maybe i got an old one?

Shiv Shankly 05-05-02 08:37 PM

For those wondering about the Hana-Bi Korean edition, it looks decent. However, they only put it on a single layer, so if you have a high quality TV, I would think it may not look as good. It does look better than the New Yorker version. Probably not as good as the French or Japanese editions. Packaging is nice; it comes with a booklet that has either the entire script, or at least excerpts from it, in Japanese.

As for some of the others on Trigger's list: April Story is a fine film, albeit short (67 min). A gentle love story that takes its time, but once it pieces everything together, it all makes sense.

Owl's Castle is one I personally found somewhat dull; a ninja story with very little action, and at 138 minutes or so, the story just isn't very compelling. Lots of extras and a nice package, though.

Kick the Moon is from the director of Attack the Gas Station, and is an excellent film. Recommended.

Jakarta is a caper film that is pretty good; another one that is fun to watch a second time, once you know what is really going on. Not an essential purchase, but worth catching.

Nowhere to Hide was a film I liked, but not one I want to watch over and over. The beginning and end are awesome, the middle sagged a bit to me.

Love Letter is by Shunji Iwai, the director of April Story, and is another love story. A good film. Comes with the soundtrack.

Christmas in August is a tragedy and is very good. I have the original release, which is fine, but the newer edition comes with extras and the soundtrack.

IC_Freeze 05-06-02 01:31 AM

il mare

definitely get il mare, it's beautiful in all ways

eluminati 05-06-02 07:10 AM

Thanks for the tip guys. For my first order I got:

Samurai Fiction
Musa
Adventures of Mrs. Park