Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When the new regionfree player arrives I want to see....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

When the new regionfree player arrives I want to see....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Wormwood
Glad I found this thread. I too didn't want the 996 with the VGA, I didn't need it. Btw, thanks roseart.
No problem I can't wait to get it. I already have a few movies I need to watch on my TV, not my computer:

- Musa: The Warrior R3
- Drive - Director's Cut R2
- Boondock Saints UNCUT R2
- Guns & Talks R3
- Die Bad R3
- My Sassy Girl R3

and on the way:

- J.S.A. R3
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels D.C. R2
- The Blade R2
- Vidocq (2 disc) R2

Any other Region DVDs that are essential???
Old 04-20-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by roseart

Any other Region DVDs that are essential???

Well, if you like the first Vacation movie Region 2 has it in widescreen.
Old 04-21-02, 01:40 AM

I just recently got a region free player but here of some of the things I have picked up.

I got The Ring 1 & 2 from the UK. I think Bensonsworld may still have these on sale if you hurry. The quality is not outstanding, but it is better than some people have made them out to be. Now it's the only way to get these movies with english subs. I haven't had a chance to watch these yet tho so I can't comment on the movies.

I picked up my first five HKL discs from Bensons too. They were three bruce lee movies The Big Boss, Fist Of Fury and The Way of the Dragon. I also got Police Story and Iron Monkey.

Now I understand why so many people rave about HKL. I have been waiting to see bruce lee movies in this way for probably 15 years. Fist of Fury was like watching it for the first time. I have only gotten to see the pan and scan , dubbed american copies. If you are a Bruce fan I definetly recommend these. The extras are very cool as well.

Police Story looked great. I know people have said there are problems with the framing, but to tell the truth I really didn't notice anything major. I have never seen this movie look this good. I had just previously seen it in pan and scan and dubbed. The dub voices turn the movie comical when it isn't meant to be.

Iron Monkey was great. I had never seen it before and it was a very entertaining movie. Donnie Yen was tha man. There is a region 1 disc that is supposed to be good also, but I had to have the original uncut version with the original soundtrack. The extras were very interesting, especially the interviews with Donnie Yen and Woo Ping.

One purchase that I was hesitant about was Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt. I hadn't heard much about the film, but everybody said the best version of it to get is the R2 PAL version from Spain. Damn I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It really reminded me how entertaining Jackie's movies used to be. There were some great fight sequences and stunt work. Some really painful looking moments , especially for Jackie's stunt team. The disc looked great. It was released by Columbia/Tri-Star. I picked it up at dvdgo. It ended up being around 27 bucks. The only shipping option they had was 2-3 day and the price was about 10 bucks. I would have liked to get a cheaper shipping option but I did get the disc pretty fast so it wasn't a huge deal. It's not my all time favorite Jackie Chan movie but it was really entertaining and it was nice to see a older Jackie movie I hadn't seen before. I was a very happy customer.

I just placed a big order , for me anyway, with DDDHouse early yesterday morning. Most of them were R3 releases. Here's what I got.

From Japan:

Pulse ( Kairo )
Avalon
Battle Royale
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus
Inugami
Sakuya-Slayer of Demons
Space Travelers
St. John's Wort

From Korea:

Friend
Barking Dogs Never Bite
The Isle
Joint Security Area ( JSA )

From HK:

Chinese Odyssey 2002
The Stormriders (DTS version)
On the Run

the other ones I picked up from other countries were:

The Nameless
Taxi
Taxi 2
Session 9

I have never seen any of these movies with the exception of Storm Riders. I am really looking forward to getting my first taste of Korean cinema and getting to watch some Japanese films that I have been hearing alot about. I am especially looking forward to seeing Battle Royale. If anyone wants me to comment on any of these films when I get my order in, I would be happy too.

It is so great not to have any restrictions on my dvd purchases now. My wallet is very lonely and sad tho hehe. I plan on getting a ton more HKL discs and several Korean discs. I am also wanting to get the Japanese movies Wild Zero and Verses.

Sundance Channel is showing alot of Asian cinema in May so I maybe making some other purchases after watching them. Here is the dates for anyone interested.

Postman Blues-May 1
The Eel-May 6
Cure-May 17
Audition-May 25
Another Heaven-May 27
Uzumaki-May 28
Don't Look Up-May 29

Sorry for the long winded post. Sometimes I don't know when to shut up. Hope that gives you some ideas roseart.

Clint
Old 04-21-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
I got The Ring 1 & 2 from the UK. I think Bensonsworld may still have these on sale if you hurry. The quality is not outstanding, but it is better than some people have made them out to be. Now it's the only way to get these movies with english subs. I haven't had a chance to watch these yet tho so I can't comment on the movies.

Sorry for the long winded post. Sometimes I don't know when to shut up. Hope that gives you some ideas roseart.

Clint
Thanks Clint I just picked up Ring 1 & 2, nice heads up on the sale....

I will be picking up Police Story 1 & 2 soon. Does anyone know if the Police Story 2 listed on bensonsworld is the HKL version? The cover doesn't look like an HKL disc. Is there another R2 version???
Old 04-22-02, 10:54 AM

yes bensonsworld sells the hkl versions.
Old 04-22-02, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rocky Raccoon-
"It is so great not to have any restrictions on my dvd purchases now. My wallet is very lonely and sad tho hehe. I plan on getting a ton more HKL discs and several Korean discs. I am also wanting to get the Japanese movies Wild Zero and Verses."

Hey I would hold off of buying Wild Zero. For one the quality is supposed to be lacking which especially sucks when paying that much. Second there are I think two versions with English subs coming up. One will be a reg 2 pal disc from Rapid Eye I think and there is a US version coming as well I believe from I think Media Blasters. I rember reading about these not to long ago on the Kung Fu Cinema website. Also Media Blasters has Versus as well.
Old 04-23-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
Hey I would hold off of buying Wild Zero. For one the quality is supposed to be lacking which especially sucks when paying that much. Second there are I think two versions with English subs coming up. One will be a reg 2 pal disc from Rapid Eye I think and there is a US version coming as well I believe from I think Media Blasters. I rember reading about these not to long ago on the Kung Fu Cinema website. Also Media Blasters has Versus as well.
Actually, Wild Zero is coming from Don May Jr. over at SYNAPSE FILMS. It should be worth the wait and you can check on it at:

http://www.synapse-films.com/

I wasn't aware that Media Blasters had "Versus".

Last edited by dablueguy; 04-23-02 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-23-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dablueguy
I wasn't aware that Media Blasters had "Versus".
From Kung Fu Cult Cinema on 4/13/02:

Versus in North America
It's now official, Disney is out of the running and apparently Media Blasters is now the proud official owner of the U.S. rights to the Japanese zombie/action film VERSUS. The movie will be released in theaters in the art-house circuit later this year.
Synapse DVD news
From GoreZone
Apparently that Synapse DVD have acquired the rights to the Japanese rockabilly movie Wild Zero. So this might be a good opportunity for those who are still waiting for an affordable alternative to the expensive Japanese release. But RapidEyeMovie, German distributor also have the rights to the movie and will release theri DVD in the near future. The Synapse DVD will be R1 NTSC and the RapidEyeMovie release will be PAL and may not contain English subs.
And from 4/19/02:

Wild Zero PAL
It's now official, Rapid Eye Movies release of WILD ZERO will containing English Subtitles! The rental version will be released at the end of this month and the retail version will follow two month later!

Last edited by roseart; 04-23-02 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-23-02, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info ScreachingWeasel, dablueguy and roseart. That's great news. Any idea when the R1 versions will be coming out? I may break down and have to get the german versions if the wait will be long for the R1.

Clint
Old 04-23-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
Thanks for the info ScreachingWeasel, dablueguy and roseart. That's great news. Any idea when the R1 versions will be coming out? I may break down and have to get the german versions if the wait will be long for the R1.

Clint
Well, if they plan on a Theatrical run, it might be awhile. Probably around 4-6 months... Hopefully sooner...