DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Daewoo 5700/5800 player questions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/202179-daewoo-5700-5800-player-questions.html)

tiger121 04-23-02 12:24 PM

daewoo 5800 player

anyone have this player-all region no macrovision and converts PAL to NTSC and vice versa-saw on ebay for 140.$any suggestions on an all region player and PAl converter not to much $$$$ though

wheres Sam's Club?

"The Daewoo DV-5700 units at Sam's Club (haven't seen any at Wal-Mart) are being phased out in favour of the newer DV-5800. The DV-5700 units were $79.95 over here and they are "region-free" via the remote control (secret menu option)."

gabegarwick 04-23-02 01:44 PM

Click here to try the SamsClub locator.

SamsClub is a membership driven warehouse-store owned by Walmart (walton's). Membership I think is around $35/yr. now...

cheers,
Gabe

Startide 04-23-02 03:34 PM

Please note carefully that the original author of quote was trying to be precise. The DV-5700 (which could play all regions sans macrovision by using a remote control hack) was being phased out by Sam's Club in favour of the DV-5800 model. I have not tried the DV-5800 to see if the remote control hack works for it as well.

I am posting now because I have now received three emails asking about the DV-5800 which I supposedly bought. Ack. In the original post, I had bought the 5700 (NOT the 5800).

dleedlee 04-24-02 08:16 AM

I got the 5800 last week and the remote hack still works. As to MV, I believe you have
to do the firmware upgrade to disable but I'm not positive.

Check the Daewoo forum at nerd-out:
http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

pwong5 04-24-02 08:18 AM

Check this link for info on the Daewoo 5700/5800.

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/index.php

indrid_cold 04-24-02 09:15 AM

I bought one of the Daewoo 5800's off eBay and am extremely happy with it. Plays just about anything except coasters and coffee can lids. Great picture and sound to boot.

But that's just my 2 cents...

Lampei 04-24-02 12:46 PM

What did they cost at Sam's?

jtkv 04-24-02 07:01 PM

Can someone confirm if the Daewoo can convert Anamorphic PAL DVDs to NTSC properly??
Play a Hong Kong Legends DVD to see if the image is vertically stretched or not...

J.T.

Trigger 04-24-02 10:40 PM

Originally posted by jtkv
Can someone confirm if the Daewoo can convert Anamorphic PAL DVDs to NTSC properly??
Play a Hong Kong Legends DVD to see if the image is vertically stretched or not...

J.T.

I can confirm that the Daewoo doesn't do such conversions properly. So far, only the Malata does them properly. The Daewoo is a nice player though and can be had for under 100 bucks. I've heard someone grabbing one as low as 68 bucks. Go to www.nerd-out.com and head to their forums where they discuss this player in depth.

Startide 04-25-02 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Lampei:
What did they cost at Sam's?
The 5800 are $89.9x at my local Sam's Club. They are less tall and silvery as compared to the 5700 which was taller and all black.

lordzeppelin 04-28-02 12:20 PM

Anyone have the firmware upgrade for the daewoo 5700-5800?

I just picked up the Daewoo 5800 cheap at sams, based on the reccommendations here for it, and between the time I bought it (last night) and the time I went to DL the firmware that disables macrovision (this morning) the site has gone down. Anyone have this file that can email it over to me?

It appears that nerd-out is down now as well. Either that or my cable connection is being picky

norm949 04-28-02 04:37 PM

Nerd-out is back online. I've noticed that occasionally it will go down for brief periods of time. If you still want the firmware emailed, let me know, but you should be able to d/l it yourself w/o problem.

gabegarwick 04-28-02 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Startide
The 5800 are $89.9x at my local Sam's Club. They are less tall and silvery as compared to the 5700 which was taller and all black.
I just looked on Fri 4/26. My Sam's club has about 30 of the 5700 model. Price= $89.9x
(I'm thinking of picking one up so I'll have a spare on hand in case my Aiwa dies.) :)

Cheers,
Gabe

lordzeppelin 04-28-02 05:44 PM

Originally posted by norm949
Nerd-out is back online. I've noticed that occasionally it will go down for brief periods of time. If you still want the firmware emailed, let me know, but you should be able to d/l it yourself w/o problem.
Yes, I most def can do it myself. Thanks for the offer, but now that the site that has the file is up, it's gonna be smooth sailing from here on out. Gracias...

jlm71176 05-13-02 01:57 PM

I recently bought a Daewoo 5800 so I can finally start buying some non-Region 1 disks (DDDhouse is going to bankrupt me if I'm not careful, just had my first order arrive from them and my "want" list is climbing into the dozens already) and wanted to ask 2 quick questions.

1. I know about nerd-out and the remote control hack and used it to set the player to region 9 and confirmed it with the debug menu. I popped Audition R3 in today and "wrong region" was displayed. I went and checked the debug menu and R1 was selected. So, I went and set it back to R9. So, the question is, once I select R9 should it stay selected or will I have to use the remote hack every time I want to watch a non-R1 DVD?

2. I read/heard somewhere, and can't recall now, that you are limited to the number of times you can use the hack until it will no longer work, locking the player into whichever region was last used. Is there any truth to this or did I just take someone's bait?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone in the group whose postings I've been reading for the past few weeks as I've been lurking in the group deciding what to buy and where to buy it from.

no pants 05-13-02 03:06 PM

-

i've had the player about 2 weeks now, and the first night i did the remote hack and haven't had to do it since. and the unit has been unplugged many times since i've had it, and tried each time it been re-hooked up with a non region 1 dvd and everything has been fine. at nerd-out.com i haven't read anything about the player's region getting locked, so i don't think that's true, but i could be wrong.

pants

dablueguy 05-14-02 02:55 AM

Originally posted by jlm71176
2. I read/heard somewhere, and can't recall now, that you are limited to the number of times you can use the hack until it will no longer work, locking the player into whichever region was last used. Is there any truth to this or did I just take someone's bait?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone in the group whose postings I've been reading for the past few weeks as I've been lurking in the group deciding what to buy and where to buy it from.

The only thing that I have ever heard that being true for are certain DVD-ROM drives and even then you can get around it with certain software programs.

DreamingReal 05-15-02 12:05 AM

DVD menu appears pastel on Daewoo 5800 ??

<p>
I just bought the Daewoo 5800 and have been noticing an odd occurance - the DVD menus appear in pastel colors. This also happens when using the zoom function. I have no problems while playing a disc, however. It seems to happen to all of my discs.
<p>
Has anyone else had this problem?
<p>

dleedlee 05-15-02 12:21 PM

No, mine doesn't do that.

tiger121 05-15-02 12:59 PM

mines fine 2

lordzeppelin 05-15-02 03:52 PM

My 5800 is perfectly fine as well...

Maybe it's an issue with your video cable or connection. Hell, I'd take the player back and get another just on general principle.

Stan Stark 05-18-02 04:31 PM

DVD-R on Daewoo 5700 player?

I just bought a Daewoo 5700 at Sam's Club $89.95. There were only 10 left at my local Sam's.... and plenty of new 5800s. I went with the 5700 because many other forum members had already bought it and successfully installed firmware. I figured the "learning curve" would be much lower and help readily available.

I know of no other retailer (or Internet site) that sells Daewoo 5700/5800. Maybe this unit is made specifically for Sam's?

I bypassed the region and disabled Macrovision. Everything works great. Many thanks to forum members and Nerd Out, etc.

Can anyone tell me if the 5700 will play DVD-R?

gabegarwick 05-18-02 04:35 PM

Re: DVD-R on Daewoo 5700 player?

Originally posted by Stan Stark
. I went with the 5700 because many other forum members had already bought it and successfully installed firmware.

Umm, you should not have to flash the firmware on the 5700 to my knowledge... You just do the remote control hack...
(then again, I could be wrong) :)

Cheers,
Gabe

dleedlee 05-20-02 12:47 PM

HK vcds on 5800

I've had no problem playing DVDs with the 5800, but there's
a quirk playing vcds. It seems that when I'm playing vcds I can't simply toggle the audio button on the remote to switch between Cantonese and Mandarin tracks. I have to go into Setup and choose Left Mono or Right Mono. This is a pain ! If I select Stereo in the Setup, I'm not allowed to toggle channels. Can anyone verify this or did I miss something in the setup? I have two other players and have not run into this before.

I see that Target is now selling a Daewoo 4000 for 79.95.

vaporware 05-23-02 11:02 AM

Re: Re: DVD-R on Daewoo 5700 player?

Originally posted by gabegarwick

Umm, you should not have to flash the firmware on the 5700 to my knowledge... You just do the remote control hack...
(then again, I could be wrong) :)

Cheers,
Gabe

You don't have to flash the firmware for the macrovision defeat? Are you sure?