International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Second Time Around - Subtitle Problem

Old 04-22-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Second Time Around - Subtitle Problem

The English subtitles seem to be screwed up on my Second Time Around DVD. The top does not appear. I only get the bottom part of the subs (only one line at all times). I know this because when English is spoken, I only get like 2 words that end in a period, and it's the end of a longer speech. The same happens on my DVD-ROM.

I know a few people here have ordered the DVD, so I was wondering if you could check it for me. I have a Toshiba 3109, which I know has had it's problems with some DVDs, and I have a Malata on the way. SO, I need to know if it's my current player, or just a defective disc. I have never had this problem before with HK DVDs.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by roseart; 04-22-02 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-23-02, 07:29 PM

Hmmm...

I don't have the disc. So, I can't help you directly. But, I can say that I have heard a lot of people complain about the subs. Some actually just thought the subs were THAT vague.... but it makes sense that likely its cutting off top lines.

I'd like to hear more about this and whether it is being resolved in future pressings, because I want to get this movie - but don't want to if I'm going to have to deal with sub problems.
Old 04-23-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by Klotera
I don't have the disc. So, I can't help you directly. But, I can say that I have heard a lot of people complain about the subs. Some actually just thought the subs were THAT vague.... but it makes sense that likely its cutting off top lines.

I'd like to hear more about this and whether it is being resolved in future pressings, because I want to get this movie - but don't want to if I'm going to have to deal with sub problems.
Where have you heard others complaining about the subs? I have sent mine back to DDDHouse thinking it was just a defective disc, but if they are all like that, then I need to let them know so they can wait to ship it to me once the problem is resolved.

Is there anyone else who has the disc, that can confirm??
Old 04-24-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - Trigger to the rescue. I can confirm that it is a mastering error. It appears that the subtitles all appear when it's just one line of dialogue, but when it's 2 lines, the top line is missing... so you're missing the bulk of that sentence and only seeing the last few words. It seems to be about a 5-10% loss of subtitle information overall, but I only watched the first ten minutes so it's just a guess. I like the Matrix-style intro during the credits and isn't that the kid from Goonies??

Anyway - that's too bad... I don't know if Mei Ah will fix this - if you find out from Johnny that they will, let me/us know and I'll probably just re-order it since it was only 5 bucks or something (wasn't it?). I'm otherwise really impressed with Mei Ah's DVDs lately and I hope the trend continues. I mean - this is an anamorphic print with DTS and animated menus... they jumped ahead of Universe and MegaStar I think, but their prices remain low. With the exception of a few bugs (the subtitles in this and the fact that Crash Landing is a flipper), Mei Ah is really becoming a quality distro company.
Old 04-24-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Okay - Trigger to the rescue. I can confirm that it is a mastering error. It appears that the subtitles all appear when it's just one line of dialogue, but when it's 2 lines, the top line is missing... so you're missing the bulk of that sentence and only seeing the last few words. It seems to be about a 5-10% loss of subtitle information overall, but I only watched the first ten minutes so it's just a guess. I like the Matrix-style intro during the credits and isn't that the kid from Goonies??

Anyway - that's too bad... I don't know if Mei Ah will fix this - if you find out from Johnny that they will, let me/us know and I'll probably just re-order it since it was only 5 bucks or something (wasn't it?). I'm otherwise really impressed with Mei Ah's DVDs lately and I hope the trend continues. I mean - this is an anamorphic print with DTS and animated menus... they jumped ahead of Universe and MegaStar I think, but their prices remain low. With the exception of a few bugs (the subtitles in this and the fact that Crash Landing is a flipper), Mei Ah is really becoming a quality distro company.
I was hoping it was just a defective disc I had, and a replacment would not have this problem... From the first 25min of the movie, it looked pretty good, but I refuse to watch it, missing that much dialog.

I to think they put out a nice disc, the animated menus were nice.

That kid was also in Indiana Jones: "Dr. Jones, Dr. Jones"
Old 06-04-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI. Tai Seng will be releasing Second Time Around on 7/30. Just wanted to let peeps know, incase you were holding out becuase of the subtitle problem.
Old 06-04-02, 08:36 PM

huh... in case you haven't heard, Tai Seng's releases of some recent HK movies have subtitle problems, which are not present on the HK released DVDs.
so Tai $eng is not necessarily a better option....

J.T.
Old 06-05-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats a bummer I was thinking of getting this but may hold off. My issue is shipping charges... but then again maybe I will get who knows.