International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Histoire(s) du Cinema - A tough one for Hendrik

Old 04-21-02, 05:09 PM

Histoire(s) du Cinema - A tough one for Hendrik

Histoire(s) du Cinema the Jean-luc Godard opus IS available as a 5 dvd set... but only as a Japanese import. Japanese only (removable) subtitles and a 5.1 mix. Now, I've only been able to find it at hmv.co.jp and cdjapan.co.jp for BIG dollars. kinokuniya.co.jp has it (they are the publishers) on sale right now - but I find their site impossible to navigate. Their NYC store will import it, but for 50% more than what it costs on their japanese website.

Now Hendrik, I'm sure this is a challenge worthy of your expertise! Are there any other etailers out there that can get this?

Last edited by bhomatude; 04-21-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-21-02, 06:13 PM

Well I'm not Hendrik..but

Generally speaking, no. You aren't going to find it for any cheaper than the cheapest between amazon.co.jp, hmv.co.jp, or cdjapan.co.jp unless you know someone in Japan who can pick up a copy for you. There are some importers in the US who resell Japanese R2, but by the time they add the extra costs for their work you aren't really saving anything and will likely pay more....My advice is to choose the cheapest out of the three etailers above once you have taken into account any tax, handling, and shipping charges.
Old 04-21-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... to be honest, I had never even heard of this title (these titles?) until you mentioned them [*] ... (turns beet red and bows head in shame)

[*] ...small wonder! turns out this is a made-for-TV series of short films...
http://onfilm.chireader.com/MovieCap...DU_CINEMA.html

...but - lo and behold: it (they?) WILL come out on French DVD(s):
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=706

...when? - unknown...

...optional English subtitles? - not yet known...

...haven't bought anything in Japan since I got Besson's Léon - Version intégrale a few years ago, together with a set of CDs featuring music of Ryuichi Sakamoto (from cdjapan.co) - remember that prices were relatively high, but understand that, in Japan, everything is expensive...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-21-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-21-02, 06:38 PM

Ahha! Well I checked dvdfr a few months ago and nothing. OK this is worth the wait. I'm glad that someone is thinking of releasing this on dvd. I have the vhs set but this series is begging for the interactivity that dvd offers.

Thanks Hendrik and Furious.

The 4-part series is worth checking out. It may be a little abstract and dense for some tastes but it truely is The History of Cinema ala Monsieur Godard!