Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reviews: Iceman Cometh, Wonder Seven, Zu: Warriors FTMM

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, thought I'd put up a few more reviews

-Iceman Cometh
Starring: Yuen Biao, Maggie Cheung, and Yuen Wah (as the antagonist)

A pretty enjoyable movie.
The basics: Starts out as a period film during the Ming dynasty. Fong, head guard of the city (played by Yuen Biao) is out to catch the murderer & rapist Fung San. They both get transported to the future (present day HK. Okay, 80s HK) Fong runs into Polla (Maggie), who convinces him that women now rule society. Fong becomes her servant. There are a lot of funny scenes with Fong trying to understand/adjust to the new ideas/things. Soon, women in HK are being raped & killed. Fong figures it has to be Fung San on a spree again. He decides that his vow of catching him is still valid. And off we go... Watch it for yourself. Print quality is okay (this was the 80s afterall). Sound/subtitles are fine also.
Score=7.5/10

-Wonder Seven
Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Ning Li, Kent Cheng and others.

I enjoyed this one very much.
The basics: Wonder Seven is a team of seven Chinese special agents who basically do cleanup for the cops. (And they ride dirt bikes!) They end up on an assignment to retrieve some bank cards and find that others want the cards also. (Enter Michelle Yeoh as Ying) Fei, the leader of the seven is stricken with her. She likes him too... but, they are on opposite teams. The seven end up with the cards and Ying comes after them. She goes head to head with Fei and some humor ensues. Then the Chinese government gets involved. They want the cards too... Lots of action in this movie, it doesn't drag much. Has most things you'd expect. Action (some kung fu), humor, a little tradegy, a little love interest, corruption. Very entertaining and some nice action scenes/stunts. Recommended film.
Score= 8/10

-Zu: Warriors From the Magic Mountain
Starring: Yuen Biao, Adam Cheng, Brigitte Lin, Sammo Hung...

The basics: Yuen Biao ends up on a quest to find the Twin Swords which are, of course, the only weapons capable of defeating the evil demons and thus saving all of humanity.
There were parts that I enjoyed quite a bit and thought that they still held up today after almost 20 yrs. since the film was made. And there were parts that were cheesy IMO because of the special effects. But, in all fairness, these were very good special effects for 1983! I thought the story was slightly more developed here than it was in Legend of Zu... LoZ was very beautiful to watch, but there wasn't a lot of character development IMO. (Not that there was a great deal here either, just a different feel I guess). For those of you who already have Legend of Zu and have an interest in seeing what the original creation was, I can definitely recommend this.
Score=7/10

Click here for my reviews of Running Out of Time 2, The Blacksheep Affair, Runaway, Enter the Eagles.
Review of Nowhere to Hide

I've also recently watched these:
-Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog
-The Foul King
-The Duel -(this rocked)
I'll probably stick those in a new thread though. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 04-20-02 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-20-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Reviews: Iceman Cometh, Wonder Seven, Zu: Warriors FTMM

Originally posted by gabegarwick
Oy! bedtime for me. I will update this on 04/19/02.
I'll add Zu: Warriors From the Magic Mountain then.
liar...

I wanted to know what you thought about Zu. I've watched a few and I'll probably update my thread 'sometime' (see, vague... leaves me open to update it whenever I feel like it)
Old 04-20-02, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Reviews: Iceman Cometh, Wonder Seven, Zu: Warriors FTMM

Originally posted by Trigger

liar...
Doh! You caught me, didn't quite get it done.

Updated now though