International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Tartan DVD's regions?

Old 04-18-02, 12:52 PM

Tartan DVD's regions?

I recently bought Tartan's Ring O DVD on the knowledge that it was Region 0. Upon receiving the disc there is a Region 0 logo on the back, however under the special features it says "Region Coding: 2". Why is that?

My Xbox can convert region free PAL to NTSC, but not play Region 2. So basically, I can play region free PAL discs. I was upset when it couldn't play Ring O. So I'm guessing that it really is a Region 2 disc. My question is way have the Region 0 logo on it? Are all Tartan discs region 2?
Old 04-18-02, 12:54 PM

Sounds like they made an error. Most of Tartan's releases are Region 2 and marked that way, even though some of them are actually R0. It seems they went the other way around on this particular title.
Old 04-18-02, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Are there any sites that list the correct regions for Tartan discs? I was planning on picking up Man Bites Dog, but held off on it after Ring 0.
Old 04-18-02, 01:03 PM

My best advice to find out for certain which discs are R2 and which are R0 would be to check UK review sites like http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk
Old 04-18-02, 04:12 PM

Try to avoid Tartan-the quality on many of their discs has come under fire.
If it's the only option, then Caveat Emptor.
Old 04-18-02, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to International Forum.
Old 04-18-02, 08:45 PM

Tartan's Battle Royale in the UK says R0 on the package.
Old 04-18-02, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Robert Spalding
Tartan's Battle Royale in the UK says R0 on the package.
Have you tried it? My problem with the Ring 0 DVD is that it has a Region 0 logo(you know, the picture of a globe with the region number on it) on it, but under the special features listing it says "Region Coding: 2". I don't have a region free player, but my Xbox converts PAL to NTSC, allowing me to play PAL region free discs.
Old 04-19-02, 05:55 AM

Tartan suck.

I have several of this company's dire releases and have been prompted to comment.

Poor transfer, irremovable subtitles, lopped-off framing...but - yet - great choice of titles (Man Bites Dog, Ring, Dobermann, Audition, Battle Royale).

All Region 2.
Old 04-21-02, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by darktrippers
Tartan suck.

I have several of this company's dire releases and have been prompted to comment.

Poor transfer, irremovable subtitles, lopped-off framing...but - yet - great choice of titles (Man Bites Dog, Ring, Dobermann, Audition, Battle Royale).

All Region 2.
Dobermann is just one of the GLARING (F*BOMB)ups that Tartan pulled- BUT the French version is great, HOWEVER it has no english subs.
Upshot(s): Bad ass lookin' cover-French Version
Looked down upon by BOTH the French AND JohnWallis of DVDTALK reviews!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?id=2962

Last edited by funkydjmcescher; 04-21-02 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-21-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by funkydjmcescher

Dobermann is just one of the GLARING (F*BOMB)ups that Tartan pulled- BUT the French version is great, HOWEVER it has no english subs.
Are there any other versions of this DVD? I have the HK, but have seen the French version, and it looks SWEET!!!

Also, can anyone comment on the Man Bites Dog release?? Video, sound, subs???
Old 04-21-02, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by roseart

Are there any other versions of this DVD? I have the HK, but have seen the French version, and it looks SWEET!!!
The French version is the one to get. I have seen the HK version & I'm sorry to say that it's rather weak compared to the 2 disk LE.
Even if you have a rudimentry understanding of Frech like I do, it's well worth searching out a copy & crankin' up the sound on this DVD. The French may hate all things VIVENDI UNIVERSAL,
but I have no complaints for the DVDs that I have from them.
But I digress, Tartan stinks!