International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Damn it R2, You're Getting Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY!

Old 04-18-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn it R2, You're Getting Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY!

Sleeping Beauty (DVD): Pics from the menus of the upcoming Disney R2 DVD version of the animated classic is up at DVDRama.com

here's the actual link:
http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php?4504

Last edited by highdef; 04-18-02 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-18-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh...hasn't it been released for a while now there?
Old 04-18-02, 11:54 AM

Yeah it has, although it took forever to receive, my understanding is that the French and German releases are the only 2 disc releases.
Old 04-18-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDRama.com claims that it comes out on April 24th.
That's what the site says.
Old 04-18-02, 12:09 PM

Well, it appears that the release of the DVD started with the German release followed by the British and next week's release in France.
Old 04-18-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't one of those releases Panned-and-Scanned only?! That's just horrible to do to a 2.35:1 animated film. Although it's really horrible to do that to ANY film, but it's the latest trend.
Old 04-18-02, 01:18 PM

I think the British release was full-screen.
Old 04-18-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With all these Sleeping Beauty DVD releases in Europe, I would hope Disney is planning on releasing this in R1 this year. If not, I'll have to order the German edition.
Old 04-18-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichardW
With all these Sleeping Beauty DVD releases in Europe, I would hope Disney is planning on releasing this in R1 this year. If not, I'll have to order the German edition.
A Q4 release is possible, but nothing has been set yet. Not sure what the delay is. This and The Rescuers are really the only two Disney Animated classics that will not be getting Platinum treatment and are still unreleased.
Old 04-18-02, 07:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to International Forum.
Old 04-18-02, 07:37 PM

Maleficent rules!!Disney should release this classic on R1 now!!

This has always been a movie unjustly disregarded by Disney, and I,for one, am appalled that it is not being given a Platinum release. It was important as it was one of the first widescreen features (the first was Lady and The Tramp), and the fabulous backgrounds by the late Eyvind Earle are stunning. The late Marc Davis was resposible for the wondrous villainess Maleficent ( and Aurora too, I think!) who has never been surpassed, though Cruella did come close. Come on Disney what are you guys playing at? Release it now on Special Edition DVD!! There is plenty to fill out a two disc special edition set. In England ( where I'm writing from) the wretched Disney organisation has only seen fit to release it in a flat Pan and Scan version, whilst Germany and France have given it a two disc deluxe widescreen edition. The French disc has a fabulous piece of artwork on the cover. It is due out on the 25th of April in France. Try Amazon.com Fr to order this double box set.
Old 05-06-02, 09:17 PM

My copy just arrived from Amazon.fr & I had only 30 min to watch it.
Simply beautiful. Sound (5.1) is very robust. I have yet to try the French DTS.
Anyone else recieve their copy yet from France or Germany ?
Old 05-06-02, 10:27 PM

Spain (dvdgo.com) also released fullscreen version. What a shame!
Old 05-06-02, 11:25 PM

I've have had the German edition for awhile now, I can definately say that it's great to own my favourite Disney movie on DVD. On the down side the aspect ratio is altered due to my Apex player's PAL to NTSC conversion. I can tell because I own the domestic laserdisc version which I can compare it too. The only extra I have had the time to watch is the "Grand Canyon" Academy Award winning docu-film, which isnt in the best looking shape, letterboxed to the same aspect ratio as "Ben Hur", the only positive thing I can say is that the 5.1 sound is breathtaking.
Old 05-07-02, 09:21 AM

I've had the french R2 version for a while, and it looks great. However a lot of the extras on disk2 are french only, though some are in english with french subs and many - like posters, artwork, the Grand Canyon short etc - don't need words. The navigation of disk 2 is all in french too.
There's a very cool extra comparing widescreen and p&s versions on the same screen. Guess which looks a thousand times better?
Disk 1 can be viewed entirely in english right from a language selection screen at the start.
Old 05-07-02, 08:24 PM

So I'm done watching the DVD & I think that it's a port of the following:

Sleeping Beauty (9511CS) (Dolby Digital CAV LD, Letterbox) )(75 min.) (Rated G)(2.35:1) (1959); LD includes a bonus featurette called Once Upon A Time-Making of Sleeping Beauty CAV version also includes two widescreen color shots--Oscar winner "The Grand Canyon"(AC-3) and "The Peter Tchaikovsky Story"; Theatrical trailers; Concept Art; Storyboards; and more.

Question still remains-why did'nt Disney just port it over to R1?Odd..

Last edited by funkydjmcescher; 05-07-02 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-07-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... if by 'port' you mean what I think you mean, you must be mistaken: afaik the German and the French releases feature anamorphic transfers - which, unless I'm wildly mistaken - and I'm sure if that's the case someone will immediately pounce on this post - which, as I was going to say, in my usual long-winded manner, means a brand new transfer, to wit: an anamorphic one ... unless, that is, Disney are trying to pull one over on their French and German fans, by releasing a faux anamorphic disc... in which case all the ooh-ing and ahh-ing over these two releases is pointless, if not slightly absurd, to say the least...

...yes ?... no ?...

. . . . . .
Old 05-08-02, 12:27 AM

Hendrik, again the voice of reason.
But, it's hard to tell if the transfer is different as I no longer have a LD player. But, I do remeber some of the extras on the DVD being on the CAV (along with the VHS deluxe veresion). Again I may be wrong. Scrape the bong resin and you'll find grey matter in here someplace.
As for Disney jerking people--they would NEVER do a thing like that !!!
Old 05-08-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...from dvdfr.com's review (specifically, regarding the image) of the French Edition Collector...

" [COLOR=sky blue]Magnifique ! Restauration oblige, les images sont exemptes de rayures et autres tâches. Un travail de fourmi rendu avec merveille grâce à un encodage façon "on prend toute la place" et son bitrate à 8.74 qui donnent une définition et une stabilité impeccables. [/COLOR]"

...which in the language of Shakespeare comes out (more or less) thusly:
" Magnificent! Thanks to restauration, the images show no scratches or other specks. An ant's work, rendered wonderfully well thanks to 'let's use all the available capacity' encoding and the [transfer's average] bit-rate of 8.74[!], which provide impeccable definition and stability. "

...users' rating (15 votes, so far): 9,93/10...

...and there you are...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 05-08-02 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 05:49 PM

French Sleeping Beauty 2 disc set is the best version!!

The French 2 disc set of Sleeping Beauty ( La Belle Au Bois Dormant) is by far the best release of this title. The transfer is far better than the German set or the execrable British release which is full screen ( Pan & Scan). It begs the question why no US release? Why on earth do the French get the only Anamorphic version? It's quite crazy, and there simply is no logical reason! Come on Di$ney get your act together!
Old 05-16-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There’s a deluxe edition due in November in the UK which should hopefully replicate the French disc.
Old 11-15-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by jonathan.e
There’s a deluxe edition due in November in the UK which should hopefully replicate the French disc.
Any word on this edition?
Old 11-15-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Appears to have been postponed. R1 release rumoured for April/May 2003.
Old 11-15-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Awww Man. Maybe i'll just buy the French version.

As far as the rumour, I hope it's true but when I was at Disneyland recently a cast member said that Lion King was the Platinum Edition for 2003 and Aladdin was 2004's. [Originally they were reversed...]

Would Disney release two Platinum Editions in one year? [Well, after the HOLIDAY fiasco...]
Old 11-15-02, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Awww Man. Maybe i'll just buy the French version.

As far as the rumour, I hope it's true but when I was at Disneyland recently a cast member said that Lion King was the Platinum Edition for 2003 and Aladdin was 2004's. [Originally they were reversed...]

Would Disney release two Platinum Editions in one year? [Well, after the HOLIDAY fiasco...]
A cast member talking about that sort of think is considered a minor kfabe, but it's an interesting bit of info.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.