Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"What's Up, Tigerlily?" R2 Question...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But first, some background....

A few years ago, I was happy to see that "What's Up Tigerlily" had been re-released on video again here in the U.S., after not being available for a long time. So even though it was only VHS, I picked up a copy. However, much to my horror, I found that A LOT of the original dialogue (Woody Allen's original dubbed comedy dialogue, I mean) had been changed, usually to make the jokes more "family friendly". Having grown up with this movie, I know most of it by heart, so I know it wasn't faulty memory.

Okay, so for anyone still able to follow this story, here's my question: Is the R2 DVD the original version, or the "family friendly redub" version? Anyone out there know?
Old 04-17-02, 07:19 PM

Nope, all of the "sexist" & "racially insensitive" jokes are in the all region PAL Aussie version that I have.
AAMOF, I was just watching it the other day & had a few chuckles. It fills in the blanks of my Woody Allen collection & for the price (Less than $ 16 shipped from Australia ) it's worth it.

Last edited by funkydjmcescher; 04-17-02 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-18-02, 09:52 AM

Thanks, man! Just what I wanted to know! And I've already ordered my copy!

Nice to know the original is still around, somewhere. Whew!
Old 04-18-02, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by indrid_cold
Thanks, man! Just what I wanted to know! And I've already ordered my copy!
No problemo! Did you get the UK or Aussie version ?
Old 04-18-02, 04:06 PM

Since you said your Aussie PAL version was "uncorrected", I decided to play it safe and get that one.

I can hardly wait...

"This is Wing Fat's house..."
"He lives in that tiny piece of paper??!!"
Old 04-29-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone confirm the U.K version is uncut? What scenes, jokes were cut or changed?
Old 04-30-02, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by shaggy
Can anyone confirm the U.K version is uncut? What scenes, jokes were cut or changed?
Stick w/the Aussie version.
Old 05-03-02, 10:01 AM

Go to the scene, early in the film, where Phil Moscowitz is in a car, making out with a woman, next to a prison. When the prisoner escapes, jumps into Phil's car, pushes the woman out, and drives away with Phil, there's a shot of the jilted woman running after the car, yelling.

Woman (original version): "Hey, wait! You've got my vibrator!"

Woman (edited version): "Hey, wait! That's a rental!"
Old 05-03-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by funkydjmcescher
Nope, all of the "sexist" & "racially insensitive" jokes are in the all region PAL Aussie version that I have.
AAMOF, I was just watching it the other day & had a few chuckles. It fills in the blanks of my Woody Allen collection & for the price (Less than $ 16 shipped from Australia ) it's worth it.
Where did you buy the Aussie version online?
Old 05-03-02, 10:13 PM

Where did you buy the Aussie version online?
www.DeVoteD.com.au
Old 05-06-02, 09:44 PM

Got my Aussie copy today and IT'S THE UNFUNNY, RE-EDITED VERSION!!!!!!!!! NOT THE ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some examples:

The Sultan of Roshpar introduces Phil to his female secret agents:

Original Version: "This is Miss Teri Yaki, one of our finest agents who, on this very spot, became a virgin for the 4th time."

Re-edited Version: "... who, on this very spot, became invisible for all time."

(What the %#$%$ is that supposed to mean?)

In the next scene, Teri spots a boat in Yokohama harbor:

Original Version: "That's Shepard Wong's gambling boat. I'd call him a beastial masochistic necrophile, but that's beating a dead horse."

Re-edited Version: "That's Shepard Wong's gambling boat. Oooh, I hate him so very much. He's one of the seven worst people in the world."

(Who rewrote this stuff? Somebody's PTA committee????)

So, I'm back to m original question: Anyone out there know if the R2 release of the film is the original, or re-edited, version. It has a different cover and is put out by a different company than the all-region PAL version, but this time I ain't spending my bucks until I know for sure.

PLEASE, HELP ME!!!

In the meantime, anyone want to buy an unfunny Woody Allen film....
Old 05-10-02, 06:19 PM

So was the original ever released on any format? Anyone have the old Vestron laserdisc or VHS version to compare to?

Jeff
Old 05-12-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The uk version is also the censored version
Old 05-12-02, 10:06 PM

The uk version is also the censored version
#$%%@!%$!!!!!!! But thanks for the warning and info, Shaggy.

Rant follows:

In the early mid 80's, when Ted Turner began colorizing old black and white films, the U.S. Congress actually held hearings on the matter (yeah, there's a good use of taxpayers' money). One of those who testified as to what a horrible thing Turner was doing was none other than Woody Allen. So how come it's BAD to colorize an old movie, but OKAY to replace classic dialogue with bland and nonsensical tripe???!! Although I'm unsure of the circumstances, if "Tiger Lily" was reworked with the approval of Allen, then all I can say is, Take this mangled POS and put it up your Hollywood Ending.

End of rant.

And, apparently, end of my search for the "original version". Looks like it's now a lost film...
Old 06-26-02, 10:00 PM

Agh, crap! I just got the Aussie version. I ordered it before this thread took a turn for the truth, thinking the Aussie version was the uncensored one. Now I can also confirm that it is the edited one. Hopefully this will be released one day on DVD in its original form, though I fear it may never be released on DVD in the states at all. From what I've read, Woody has pretty much disowned this film and tried to stop the production company from releasing it at all in the first place but lost the fight. I guess he's just doing everything possible to keep it buried now. Making sure that the only version available is this edited one is a good way to do just that...
Old 06-27-02, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up I was thinking about buying this and I have read many reviews but no mention of this has ever occurred!