Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now Taking Review Requests [Part Deux]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Now Taking Review Requests [Part Deux]

Old 04-01-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - I guess my thread got too long and had to be split. Here's a link to the part 1 of this thread. Anyway - I'll be happy to review the films I see or at least give you a quick "yay" or "nay" on it. I've posted dozens of reviews in their own threads (do a search for my name and the word "review" or "reviews" appearing in the thread title and set the date for "any date" in the International Forum and they should come up) and I've posted quite a few mini-reviews for several titles in the part 1 of this thread (which is now locked )... The reason for starting this thread was because I basically have too many DVDs and I don't know what to watch and I figure this would be a way for me to have a place to get started by filling requests for reviews. Below is my latest order (which as of 4/11 has not yet shown arrived) and below that is an incomplete list of asian titles I own... I own more than that, but it's hard to keep track and keep the list up to date ya know?

My latest order... I just buy everything, I'm hopeless. It's an addiction I can't stop.

Fighting To Survive
Crash Landing (DTS)
Happy End
Avalon
Dr. Lamb
Open Your Eyes
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Friend
Running Out of Time 2 (DTS)
Pulse (Kairo)
Beauty And The Breast
JSA (DTS)
Second Time Around (DTS)
Vidocq
Handsome Siblings
Marry A Rich Man
Millennium Mambo
The Black Panther Warriors
The Nameless (DTS)
Eternal Evil Of Asia, The
Foul King, The (DTS)
Devil Touch
Time 4 Hope
Ebola Syndrome

Here's a list of titles I already have:
<small>Story of Ricky
Fong Sai Yuk
Butterfly & Sword
Fong Sai Yuk II
Once upon a time in China II
Once upon a time in China III
Blade, The - VCD
Peking Opera Blues
My Father Is A Hero
Swordsman
Accidental Spy
The Shiri (DTS Version)
City Hunter
Jacky Chan My Stunts
Policy Story
Policy Story II
Wheels on Meals (MegaStar Version)
Tai Chi Master, The
Last hero in China
Gen-Y Cops
Duel, The
Gen-X cops
God of cookery, The
Man Called Hero, A
Moon Warriors, The
Purple storm
Stormriders, The
Zu : Warriors from the magic mountain
Sex and Zen
Time And Tide
Tokyo Raiders (DTS Version)
Drunken Master II
Duel To The Death
Drunken Master III
From Beijing With Love
Chinese odysseyI Pandora Box, A
Chinese odyssey II Cinderella, A
Fight back to school
Fight back to school II
Fight back to schooll III
Flirtong Scholar
Forbidden City Cop
God of gamblersIII back to Shanghai
Justice my foot
King of comedy
Royal Tramp (MegaStar)
Royal Tramp II (MegaStar)
Tricky master, The
City on Fire (MegaStar Version)
God of Gamblers
God of Gamblers Return
Hitman
Kung Fu Colt Master, The
China Strike Force (DTS)
A. D. 2000
Beastcops
Executioners
Magnificent butcher
Armour of god
Electrical Girl
Visible Secret
God of Gamblers II
All,s Well End's Well
Curry and Pepper
Final Justice
First of fury 1991
Hail The Judge
King of Beggars
Legend of the Dragon
Love on Delivery
Magnificent Scoundrels
Sixty Million Dollar Man
Tricky Brains
When Fortune Smiles
Bio Zombie
Blackship Afair, The
Once Upon A Time In China & America
Chinese Feast, The
Fist Of Legend
Fist Power
Mahjong Dragon
Martial Angels
Replicant
Love On A Diet
Isle, The
Brother
Fighting For Love
Attack The Gas Station
All's Well End's Well 97
Faithfully Yours
Lawyer, Lawyer
Look Out Officer
Love is Love
Lucky Guy, The
Lung Fung Restaurant
Unmatchable Match
My Hero
Feel 100%
In the Mood for Love
Body Weapon
Shaolin Soccer
Para Para Sakura
Ultimatum
Heroes In Love
F***/Off
Juvenile
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father
Hit Team
Lifeline
Needing You
Mission, The
Legend of the Wolf
Hero Never Die, A
Comrades-Almost a love story
Big Bullet
Bakery Amour
For Badboys Only
Future Cop
Downtown Torpedoes
Skyline Crulsers
Double Tap (DTS Version)
Chivalrous Legend
Fighting To Learn
All Man Are Brothers-Blood of The Laopard
Anna Magdalena
Flying Dagger
And I Hate You So...
Lavender
Lost And Found
Jiang Hu-The Triad Zone
Option Zero
Full Alert
First Option (MegaStar Version)
Thunderbolt - VCD
Sakuya-Slayer Of Demons
My School Mate, The Barbarian
Battle Royale
Full Time Killer
Audition
Wicked Ghost, A
Wicked ghost II The Fear, A
Bio Cops
As Tears Go By
Tell Me Something
Top Bet, The
Taxi 2 (DTS Version)
Taxi
Ring Virus, The
Evil Dead Trap 2
Ditto
C'est La Vie, Mon Cherie
Days Of Being Dumb
Fallen Angels
Sword Stained With Royal Blood
Sex And Zen II (PAL / Region 2 only)
Bare-Footed Kid, The
Heroes Among Heroes
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star
Kingdom, The (Complete 3-Disc Set)
King of Beggars (MegaStar)
Too Many Ways To Be No. 1
Tom, Dick & Hairy
Twelve Nights
Who's The Woman, Who's The Man
Your Place or Mine
Legend of the Flying Swordsman
He's A Woman, She's A Man
I Am Your Birthday Cake
Fly Me To Polaris
Full Throttle
Fighter's Blues, A (DTS Version)
Dragon Forever
City of Glass
Clean My Name, Mr Corner
Comeuppance
Conman In Tokyo
Conman, The
Conmen in Vegas, The
Cop On A Mission
Tempting Heart
Summer Holiday
Help!!!
Juliet in Love
Expect The Unexpected
Legend of speed
Longest Nite, The
Longest Summer, The
Moonnight Express
New Legend of Shaolin, The
Old One Dies, The
Only Fool Fall in Love
Savior of the Soul
Spacked Out
Suzhou
Task Force
Rules of the Game
There is a Secret in my Soup
Till Death Do Us Part
Tri Star
True Love
Moment of Romance, A
Victim
Walk In
War Named Desire, A
Wu Yen
Legend Of Zu, The
Sex Phone Girl
Sound From The Dark
Prison On Fire
Il Mare
Secret Tears
Dragon Heat
Ring
Ring 2</small>

Thanks - and I hope that my reviews and mini reviews help some of you in some way.

Last edited by Trigger; 04-11-02 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-01-02, 08:16 AM

I'll be getting my copy of Friend today. Along with some "essentials", I have also ordered Thatched Memories this time.
Old 04-01-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
My latest order... I just buy everything, I'm hopeless. It's an addiction I can't stop.

Crash Landing (DTS)
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Pulse (Kairo)
Second Time Around (DTS)
Vidocq
I would love reviews of these titles..
Old 04-01-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fighting To Survive
Crash Landing (DTS)
Happy End
Avalon
Dr. Lamb
Open Your Eyes
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Friend
Running Out of Time 2 (DTS)
Pulse (Kairo)
Beauty And The Breast
JSA (DTS)
Second Time Around (DTS)
Vidocq
Handsome Siblings
Marry A Rich Man
Millennium Mambo
The Black Panther Warriors
The Nameless (DTS)
Eternal Evil Of Asia, The
Foul King, The (DTS)
Devil Touch
Time 4 Hope
i've already asked for a millenium mambo review but i'd love to hear what you think about jsa, marry a rich man, second time around and barking dogs never bite.
Old 04-01-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - I'll get to these as soon as the package arrives.
Old 04-09-02, 12:31 PM

Ok - Watched Sino Dutch War last night... well the first half hour or so anyway before falling asleep. Guh - it's pretty slow. Lots of talking. Hopefully it'll get better. I'm gonna take some nodoze and pry my eyes open with toothpicks next time I sit down to watch it.

Hey Trigger, you ever finish the Sino Dutch War? Like to hear your opinion if you did.

Thanks,
Gabe
Old 04-09-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gabegarwick

Hey Trigger, you ever finish the Sino Dutch War? Like to hear your opinion if you did.

Thanks,
Gabe
Not yet - I'll try to get to it... I've been too busy lately to watch movies, but that hasn't stopped me from ordering them. I just ordered The Blade HKL release. I am also still waiting for my shipment from DDDhouse. Didn't you review it? Post a link if you did...
Old 04-09-02, 09:03 PM

Nope, I looked... never put up a review of The Blade, I'll put it with some other more recent viewings I need to type up yet. (then I'll come back and link it for ya)

-Speaking of ordering more movies, I think I need to start putting together another list to order, my 'unwatched' pile fell below 30 over the weekend..

Cheers,
Gabe

p.s. People think I'm nuts cause I'm up to approx. 170 titles now, hehe... The ones that I loan to on a reg. basis however, think it's great!
Old 04-10-02, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gabegarwick
Nope, I looked... never put up a review of The Blade, I'll put it with some other more recent viewings I need to type up yet. (then I'll come back and link it for ya)
I guess I didn't make sense there - I meant didn't you review Sino Dutch War... I've seen The Blade and it's one of my favorite films. I was just wondering what you thought of Sino - it would give me an idea of whether or not I should even bother with the second half of it.

As for ordering more stuff... I'm a HKaholik... I just order everything that comes out... I'm sure I have well over twice that amount and it's growing all the time... I must stop.
Old 04-10-02, 04:16 PM

hehe! Miscommunication!
I was thinking to myself as I was typing that... "I could've sworn Trigger has seen and liked The Blade..."

No, I've never seen Sino Dutch War. Was wondering if I should order it... Isn't it the same guy that starred in The Blade?
Old 04-10-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would like to here about Fighting To Survive. I can't find anything about this title.
Old 04-11-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My father's illness (prostate cancer) has finally gotten the better of him after seven years and he only has a few days left. I'm taking a break while my sister and her husband watch him to post a few things here and there and check my email and catch some sleep (I've been up for about 30 hours) and some sanity before heading back tomorrow. I probably won't be able to get to watch any of the movies for awhile (and the package hasn't arrived here yet anyway), but once things have settled down, I'll try to get back to it. You don't have to turn this into an "I'm sorry to hear about your father" thread (you can email me if you feel the urge)... I'll be okay. I just wanted to kinda let you all know what's going on kinda so you don't think I just stopped liking HK movies or something. So - I'll pop this thread back up when I'm 'back'. Thanks again and take care.

Trigger

Last edited by Trigger; 04-11-02 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by roseart
I would like to here about Fighting To Survive. I can't find anything about this title.
Got my shipment today and this DVD didn't make it into the order in time.
Old 04-15-02, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - Four Half-reviews and one full review... I only saw one of these films from beginning to end. The rest I never finished watching for various reasons... exhaustion, boredom, or time constraints. So I figured I'd at least put my thoughts on record and then perhaps see where my thoughts go from there once I've seen the films in their entirety.
  • Crash Landing (DTS)
  • Barking Dogs Never Bite
  • Vidocq
  • Foul King, The (DTS)
  • Ebola Syndrome

The Foul King - Korean

This is the only one I saw from beginning to end. It's about this meek guy who works a desk job (poorly) and lives with his father. Nobody really takes him seriously and his life is pretty bland. His boss puts him in a headlock one day after showing up late for work. He then goes in search of someone who can show him how to get out of a headlock. He finds himself at this run-down gym that trains professional wrestlers. He then becomes a wrestler himself and his life takes on new meaning... or whatever...

It's somewhat of a feel-good comedy/drama with a bit of a dark edge to it. The laughs seem few and far between at first, but you eventually realize that they are just paced really far apart. The story has alot of potential that never really gets fleshed out enough. The characters are likable enough and the cinematography, sound, dialogue etc are all fine. It's a solid film, but it just doesn't have quite enough meat on the bone. This is an uncommon situation in which you have a movie where instead of trying too hard, they didn't try hard enough. You don't really have to be a fan of pro wrestling in order to appreciate the film. They never really pick a focus for 'the point' and several characters get too much development so that you care about them just to have them end up as loose ends that never really get explained or explored. Overall though it was an enjoyable experience. I laughed out loud several times. While the film missed the mark, it managed to deliver a good experience. The DVD has a nice DTS track and a good transfer. The case is a dreaded snapper, but it's forgiveable. Nice presentation overall. I score this film a 7/10 (just barely) and recommend it - certainly not the best Korea has to offer, but good enough to rent or borrow.

Ebola Syndrome - HK

Only saw like the first 15 minutes and had to leave the house... It's quite violent and bloody. I notice the cut scene with the pee and while I'm not really into the whole pee fetish thing, it does bother me that there's a cut there. Senseless really considering what was left in. I am interested to get back to this film because it looks like it's going to be quite gross. The look is quite 80's despite the fact that it was filmed more recently than that. I already hate the main character, so it'll be interesting to see if they end up giving me someone to root for.

Crash Landing - HK

This film is in Mandarin. The Mei Ah DVD is a flipper. Mei Ah seems to be changing their image to compete with MegaStar and Universe in terms of quality. From the cases and artwork to the transfer and extras, they are finally starting to get it right. Except for this flipper business... I don't want to watch half a movie only to have to get up and flip the DVD over to watch the second half. Quite disappointing. Except for that flaw, Mei Ah gets a huge thumbs up from me for upping their standards. The film starts out supposedly at 4am, but the sky and daylight tells me it's more like 10 or 11 am. Passengers and crew board a plane and it takes off. The pilots quicky notice that the landing gear won't come up or go back down... uh oh. At most 45 minutes have transpired yet it's pitch dark out and looks like it's about 10pm. The effects are handled by miniatures rather than CGI and look alot like some crappy Dr. Who effects. The acting is poor and the story is even poorer. They spend the first half of the film trying to shake the landing gear loose so they can land safely. The second half is them trying to crash land the plane. I only got a few minutes into the second side of the disc before I had to leave the house again. I never got back to it because the film was a stinker. I'd like to see the rest of it someday though because the trailer I saw almost a month ago made me want to see the film and I haven't seen any of the funny/cool stuff from the trailer yet. I'll let you know how it turns out. So far I'd suggest staying far away from this turd.

Barking Dogs Never Bite - Korea

We watched about 15 minutes of this and decided it wasn't moving along fast enough for our mood so we switched to Foul King. It's about a guy who hates the barking dogs in his building so he tries to kidnap them and kill them. It's supposed to be all quirky and dark and funny, but so far it's just really really slow. I do want to watch the rest of it though, so I'll surely let you know when I finish it.

Vidocq - France

Gerard Depardon't plays a private detective who tries to solve some murders. It's alot like Name of the Rose meets Star Wars Episode 1 meets The Musketeer. Strange mix. The cinematography is excellent... this DVD presents it in 4:3 though sadly. There's some wicked camerawork going on here. I fell asleep during it just because I was so damn tired from this weeks events. I'm for sure going to finish it. My roommate stayed awake through the whole thing and said "it's pretty cool". I'll let you know.
Old 04-15-02, 03:03 PM

Cool. Thanks again for the comments. I'll have to put up my thoughts on Foul King.

Videocq sounds interesting...

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 05-07-02, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched The Loser's Club tonight. It's kinda like that made for TV movie with Danny DeVito and his wife called "The Ratings Game" that came out in the 80's. It's about this guy who works for a television station as a director and his show is getting really low ratings. The threat of being fired causes him to try to resurrect this washed up flamboyant elton john type singer played by Francis Ng.

It's all pretty nonsensical at first and then a story emerges and charaters manage to develop... it's a strange thing... anyway - once all is said and done, nothing too terribly dramatic happens and nothing all that funny happens either. I wasn't moved to tears, laughter or farts... it was just there. I watched it. That's all. It kept my attention, but I don't know what that says about it. I can't recommend it, but I can't say it's bad either. I guess I'd say there's no real reason to watch it. How's that?

edit: Oh - the DVD... another China Star release. Once again - decent transfer and sound. Nice menus. Everything pretty smooth... but oh dammit!... the stupid subtitles again. Can't China Star get the subtitles right for once? Actually this time the subtitles were pretty decent in terms of adequate translation and completeness... the problem here was they were really small. Oh well - nobody in the film said anything really interesting anyway.

Last edited by Trigger; 05-07-02 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-07-02, 01:01 PM

edit: Oh - the DVD... another China Star release. Once again - decent transfer and sound. Nice menus. Everything pretty smooth... but oh dammit!... the stupid subtitles again. Can't China Star get the subtitles right for once? Actually this time the subtitles were pretty decent in terms of adequate translation and completeness... the problem here was they were really small. Oh well - nobody in the film said anything really interesting anyway.
Fret not, with Mei Ah have taken hold of the China Star releases, the subs are a decent size with their new releases, but I guess the films already released won't get anything significant done to them when they are rereleased.
Old 05-07-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should put this post into another thread, but Trigger I wanted to give you thoughts for your next DDDHouse excursion. The last 3 weeks or so there have been some interesting HK movies that have come out on DVD.

- For brainless fun, the first 3 Happy Ghost movies, very popular in the mid-80's, are out on DVD. Good to see Loletta (Rachel) Lee looking like such a cutie 15 years ago.

- Happy Family, which I have an extensive review of in the Asian DVD Guide, is a surprisingly good movie. I go so far as to say that it's the most entertaining HK romantic comedy that I've seen in the last 2 years, since Needing You. I'm beginning to like Candy Lo more and more, she's been good in every movie she's been in.

- Chinese Odyssey 2002 is a hilarious movie, it's been talked about on another thread.

- Love Undercover, a film that just came out the other day on DVD is a really good Miriam Yeung comedy. Highly enjoyable.

- Also coming out in early May is My Life As McDull, one of the best animation stories that you'll ever see and 100 Ways to Murder Your Wife, a funny CYF and Anita Mui film from 17 years ago.
Old 05-07-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
I should put this post into another thread, but Trigger I wanted to give you thoughts for your next DDDHouse excursion. The last 3 weeks or so there have been some interesting HK movies that have come out on DVD.

- For brainless fun, the first 3 Happy Ghost movies, very popular in the mid-80's, are out on DVD. Good to see Loletta (Rachel) Lee looking like such a cutie 15 years ago.

- Happy Family, which I have an extensive review of in the Asian DVD Guide, is a surprisingly good movie. I go so far as to say that it's the most entertaining HK romantic comedy that I've seen in the last 2 years, since Needing You. I'm beginning to like Candy Lo more and more, she's been good in every movie she's been in.

- Chinese Odyssey 2002 is a hilarious movie, it's been talked about on another thread.

- Love Undercover, a film that just came out the other day on DVD is a really good Miriam Yeung comedy. Highly enjoyable.

- Also coming out in early May is My Life As McDull, one of the best animation stories that you'll ever see and 100 Ways to Murder Your Wife, a funny CYF and Anita Mui film from 17 years ago.
Yup - I've had my eye on Happy Family and Love Undercover since I saw it pop up at DDDHouse. I watch DDDHouse for new films and when they have around 20 I'm interested in, I place an order. They need to resend Beauty and the Breast cuz my copy came with no disc in the case. I saw the preview for Love Undercover and it looks really good. Chinese Odyssey was on my list since it came to theaters out of title curiousity... I may hold off ordering for another week or so if you know of some other worthy titles coming out soon. I wasn't going to order those older films, but if you insist that they are good I'll give em a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-07-02, 05:30 PM

Put "My Life as McDull" in your order, as it looks very much like one of the best films from last year (I've been eargerly awaiting it's release since then). I haven't seen it, but from what I could cull from the usually catty and rude comments (most of the time) on the boards at http://www.mov3.com was a pretty much unanimous praise for the film. Further to that reviews from http://www.mhvf.net/forum/asian/post...108230918.html and http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/revie...isplay_set=eng as a few positive words for the film.
Old 05-07-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

forgot to add a couple of other oldies that just came out - The Dead and the Deadly is a classic Samo Hung funny scary movie from almost 20 years ago and won quite a few HKFA nominations. Also, A Bite of Love is a funny vampire movie with George Lam and Rosamund Kwan from the early 90's which was somewhat popular.
Old 05-07-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't going to order those older films, but if you insist that they are good I'll give em a chance.
Well the Happy Ghost movies are probably aimed at the young crowd, kinda like watching Twins videos I suppose. I liked the movies mainly because of Loletta Lee but when I watched it it was like 10-15 years ago.

100 Ways To Murder Your Wife is quite a funny movie and I do recommend the movie. I'll also recommend The Dead and the Deadly.
Old 05-10-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched two films tonight, but I'm too tired to come up with a decent review for either - I'll comment though. If you want a proper review, feel free to ask me.

Legend of Speed

I told myself I wasn't going to watch any Ekin movies for awhile, but it was staring at me and I thought I'd pop it in anyway. It was terrible. I really am starting to hate Ekin... I didn't get it before why everyone hated him, but now I'm getting it. So this film starts out really bad... you don't like any of the characters really so all of the horrible things that happen to them pretty much don't matter since everyone sucks. The second half starts to get a little better although it never achieves better than sub-mediocre. There are about 2 minutes of semi-cool cgi effects, but nothing worth wasting your time over. It's about a rich kid who races cars and motorbikes and then loses everything only to realize that he never needed that stuff anyway... Ugh - it was just dumb.

Wu Yen

I had been putting this off for the longest time because a.) Nobody wanted to watch it with me and b.) I had read too many bad reviews. Well, I loved it. I don't know why everyone pans this film... I thought it was wonderful. It's a farcical gender bender with a wonderful story. from me. Now I'm gonna have to make my girlfriend watch it. I have to highly recommend it... I guess it's not for everyone, but if you get a good explaination of what it's like you should be able to decide if it's for you. I honestly can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.
Old 05-10-02, 08:05 AM

Wu Yen huh? I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-10-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a big fan of Johnny To, so it's now on my next oder.

Thanks Trigger

Edit: It's out of stock @ DDDHouse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.