Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where to find the newer Japanese Gamera films...

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-07-02, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the last three gamera films on VHS (they are pretty good quality, but not the best), and I know that they were released in Japan on DVD with English subtitles. I've been trying to find online import shops that carry them, but so far I've been out of luck (I tried all the ones listed in the DVD Talk SHOP section). Does anyone know a place I might try finding these at?
Old 04-07-02, 02:02 PM

You can get the set from CDJapan. Here's the direct link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TDBD-2020

I have the set and it's amazing with great picture and sound and English subs. There's also 2 bonus DVDs but all special features are in Japanese. CDJapan is the best place to get it from but keep in mind that it's going to cost you well over $200 for the set with shipping (probably around $230).
Old 04-08-02, 03:16 AM

Is the soundtrack Dolby Digital 5.1? If so, how does it compare to Hollywood movies' 5.1 tracks?
Old 04-08-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes you can pick up used DVDs at www.animejungle.com They mostly deal in anime items, but they do carry some Japanese films. They have the Gamera set on hold for someone right now.
http://www.jungle-scs.jp/cgi-local/c...play=30&page=1
You can put the item on a watchlist and they will contact you when they get another copy in.
Old 04-08-02, 02:31 PM

All three movies have 5.1 surround and I'd rate it up there with some of Hollywood's best. Japanese DVDs are often on par with US DVDs.
Old 04-08-02, 08:23 PM
Cool New Member

gamera 3's video transfer is not great...

The Awakening of Iris)
Old 04-09-02, 05:20 PM

I believe ADV Films has the US rights to all three Gamera movies but they've been sitting on it since time immemorial. Only Gamera 1 is available and that's VHS-subbed.
Old 04-09-02, 07:04 PM

You're correct that only the first film is available on VHS but it's actually dubbed and there is no subbed version. Supposedly ADV has 2 and 3 on their schedule for DVD this year but not 1.
Old 04-10-02, 12:43 AM

ADV has had the rights to all 3 for quite a while now, and has been mentioned, they've been just sitting on them. I've read numerous interviews with people there for at least 2 years saying that they would soon be releasing all 3 on DVD with all kinds of special features, but nothing has ever materialized. Frankly, ADV is full of B.S. and has blatantly lied about their material (and falsely advertised it) is the past (anyone remember the debacle with NINJA RESURRECTION and its sequel where they advertised it as a sequel to Ninja Scroll [and even used the the same font] and it had nothing to do with Ninja Scroll? This was solved when Manga threatened a lawsuit which forced ADV to go back and change their packaging removing the claimed it to be a sequel).

Maybe a good company will pick up the rights from them.