Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How did Austrilia get rid of snappers?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

How did Austrilia get rid of snappers?

Old 04-04-02, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did Australia get rid of snappers?

I just found out last night that Warner doesn't send snappers to Australia. How did Australians make Warner Bros see the light of day and stop?

Also, what is the packaing like for 2 disk sets like Citizen Kane over there?

Thanks!

Last edited by Avid; 04-04-02 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-04-02, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure how, but things arent all sweet and rosey in the land down under.

Australia has a bit of a problem, they have rental pricing.

Makes me wonder whats holding back a revolt.
Old 04-04-02, 08:17 AM

Basically we just complained to Warners about the snapper packaging. Through the aegis of a few of the web sites, both overtly and behind the scenes, Warners were eventually persuaded to get rid of the damn things.

As for 2 DVD sets, the only Warners one I have is in a dual Alpha case. Other distributors have a variety of cases in current use.

The rental pricing scheme tried by Warners has been thrown out by the courts. It just means that rental windows will become more prevalent and probably longer in duration....

Ian
Old 04-04-02, 09:36 AM

Citizen Kane. R4. Ahahaha. (although the R1 disc is dual R1/4 coded) Now generally Alphas, replacing double brackleys (two Amaray style cases glued together) for doubles (including JFK).

Whilst Warners was good enough to stop supplying snappers, us Aussies still have reason to fear them for two very big reasons, and one smaller one.

1) Rumors abound that Harry Potter will be only available in fool screen cropped and chopped rubbish, even though a PAL widescreen master is available.

2) Warner's (quite reasonable IMHO with the exception of being made to feel a criminal if you bought the retail version) attempt to dual price rental/retail versions backfired, which will probably mean more rental windows (hey, I'll keep importing).

3) Warner has been releasing lots of NTSC DVDs in Australia. PAL is Australia's standard, not NTSC. It wouldn't be so bad if Australia got the releases at the same time as R1, but they usually take six months to come and superior R2 releases (eg Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) are ignored.

Last edited by samuelowens; 04-04-02 at 09:40 AM.