Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel season 2 W/S vs Pan & Scan pictures

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Angel season 2 W/S vs Pan & Scan pictures

Old 03-26-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel season 2 Review

Examples of just how much better the forthcoming W/S version will be here

The widescreen version is only available in the UK - all other territories are getting pan & scan.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 04-09-02 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-26-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australia's won't be widescreen?
Old 03-26-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No
Old 03-26-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Though it is obvious that the 16:9 images posted have more picture information on the sides than the 4:3 images, the effect is exaggerated by those shots. The 4:3 images have been squeezed horizontally into a 1:1 square.
Old 04-03-02, 02:20 PM

widescreen problems on apex?

I read somewhere that hacked Apex players have a problem with widescreen (or anamorphic?) conversions from Pal to ntsc. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, maybe it would be best to get a region 4 set????

tasha
Old 04-04-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: widescreen problems on apex?

Originally posted by tasha88
I read somewhere that hacked Apex players have a problem with widescreen (or anamorphic?) conversions from Pal to ntsc. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, maybe it would be best to get a region 4 set????tasha
This is true. Apex players have picture geometry distortion when converting PAL to NTSC.

However, Region 4 is also PAL, so that really won't make a difference for you.

Buy a Malata.
Old 04-04-02, 09:38 PM

thanks

Thanks, Josh Z. But. . . I already have an Apex. I have Angel Season 1, and it looks okay to me--do you happen to know if the distortion is more noticable in widescreen? Maybe I'm just not picky, because I thought my Region 4 Angel looked just fine.

tasha
Old 04-05-02, 04:28 AM

Thanks jonathan.e,

I've just forked out for a Metz Artos Widescreen TV and I'll be damned if I'll let Fox Australia dictate what aspect ratio I can view my DVDs in.
Do you know if Buffy Season 4 is widescreen UK only as well?
Oh well, more of my money for Amazon UK!

Cyberdemon
Old 04-05-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty sure Buffy season 4 is W/S everywhere which just makes even more of a mockery of this selective W/S for Angel.
Old 04-05-02, 04:39 AM

Anyone know for sure if Angel S2 R2 is going to suffer some content edits?

I've heard the rumor pop up a few places, and it's not out of question considering the Buffy S3 issue.

If it is edited for content, that leaves pretty much no good alternative, does it?
Old 04-05-02, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The VHS release of season 2 was not cut and there’s nothing on the BBFC website to indicate cuts.
Old 04-05-02, 05:00 AM

Just checked and it seems Australia is getting Buffy S4 Widescreen after all.
Can't understand the logic (or lack thereof) of only releasing Angel WS in the UK.

Cyberdemon
Old 04-05-02, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of us kicked up a big stink in the UK about Fox releasing season one in full frame. I guess we shouted loud enough for them to take notice.
Old 04-05-02, 05:09 AM

Half your luck!
Fox Australia have postponed Futurama Season 1 indefinitely (thanks again, Amazon UK!), and Warner Roadshow over here are only releasing Harry Potter in Pan & Scan!

I actually enjoy speaking to the various DVD reps when they come in to see me just to question them about the sometimes sub-standard releases we get in Australia.

This year, Universal Australia will release the 2-disk Shrek with DTS (only single disk edition released so far), and I'm dreading to hear what Warner Roadshow has in store for 'our' version of LOTR.

Time will tell...

Cyberdemon
Old 04-05-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: thanks

Originally posted by tasha88
Thanks, Josh Z. But. . . I already have an Apex. I have Angel Season 1, and it looks okay to me--do you happen to know if the distortion is more noticable in widescreen? Maybe I'm just not picky, because I thought my Region 4 Angel looked just fine.
tasha
The Angel season 1 box should have a full-frame 1.33:1 picture. The Apex will squish it down to around 1.5:1. There will be small black letterbox bars above and below the picture, and all the people and objects in the frame will look shorter and fatter than they should.

Does it really not look that way on your TV? This is a very notorious problem for the Apex players when converting PAL to NTSC.
Old 04-07-02, 06:00 AM

looks okay

I just checked my Angel Season 1 dvd, and it really does look okay. I have a Toshiba 24 inch flatscreen tv hooked up to a hacked 1500 player, and there is maybe a half centimeter taken off the top and a whole centimeter off the bottom. However, there's also about a centimeter taken off the left side, and a half centimeter off the right (so it's very slightly letterboxed, but cropped on the sides as well.)

Maybe they fixed the problem by cutting the sides too to make it proportional? I don't know, but if these guys are shorter and fatter than normal, I'm not seeing it (and I have seen them on regular tv for comparison.) Or maybe I'm just being inobservant--could it be that the compression is so slight that you'd have to have the pictures side by side to see the difference?

tasha

Last edited by tasha88; 04-07-02 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-07-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tasha,

As far as object proportions, the squish is pretty mild so maybe you're just not noticing it. However, the image should not have ANY letterboxing. When I had an Apex clone, I saw a lot more than you're describing, but that might be attributable to your television having more overscan than mine.

This problem is caused by the player removing too many scan lines when it does the PAL-to-NTSC conversion. The player is also unable to do both PAL-to-NTSC and 16:9-downconversion at the same time, so anamorphic discs will always appear in 16:9 stretch mode (too tall and skinny). The problem with dropping too many scan lines actually works in your favor this time, but it does not totally compensate. Basically, a 2.35:1 movie with anamorphic enhancement will be stretched to 1.85:1 on the Apex.

Now, you see windowbox bars on the side of the picture. I don't have an answer for that. Maybe, as you suggest, Apex has added a new chip that scales the sides of the picture to compensate for the geometry distortion? I hadn't heard of such a thing, but without seeing exactly what you're seeing it's hard to know.
Old 04-07-02, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
A lot of us kicked up a big stink in the UK about Fox releasing season one in full frame. I guess we shouted loud enough for them to take notice.
Agreed. I'm in the uk, thought hard for widescreen and Angel, phoning up Fox, senting e-mails, complaining everywhere, and it was meant so we'll get a Angel season one in widescreen, which we did not get, but while I'm really pleased I'm going to get Angel season two widescreen, we should not need to fight for it to get special treatment, it's bizare how these companies think, sorry for all those fans who are not in region 2 and have to order from here.
Old 04-08-02, 02:47 AM

Well, i went ahead and bought the Angel Region 4 discs (were available here from the 5th). My thinking was that it didnt really matter as its a tv show. 4:3 is what they originally aired in (I think). Plus i wanted them asap. Having never seen them (our tv airings only at season 1 at the moment) i was real eager to get into them.

But looking at those pictures makes me wonder if i shouldnt now get region 2. It just looks nicer in the wider aspect ratio. and when i get a widescreen tv 4:3 will annoy me.
Old 04-08-02, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by NZ_DVD_Freak
Well, i went ahead and bought the Angel Region 4 discs (were available here from the 5th). My thinking was that it didnt really matter as its a tv show. 4:3 is what they originally aired in (I think). Plus i wanted them asap. Having never seen them (our tv airings only at season 1 at the moment) i was real eager to get into them.

But looking at those pictures makes me wonder if i shouldnt now get region 2. It just looks nicer in the wider aspect ratio. and when i get a widescreen tv 4:3 will annoy me.

Once you get widescreen, like you said, you'll see things in different ways with aspect ratios like never before And then 4:3 is the enemy if a show or film has a wider aspect ratio.
Old 04-08-02, 11:03 PM

blonde moments

Okay, I looked again and those "letterbox lines" on all sides are there even on other dvd's that shouldn't be letterboxed at all (they're in the tv--I can see them even when it's off, lol. . )On the bottom there's about a centimeter or less and that's it, so maybe that's why I didn't notice.

Still, I'm going with Region 4 on this since no one has said whether widescreen would have more or less noticable squishing. (I can't afford to pay $70 plus bucks for videos that I can't watch.)

tasha