Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any one have or can tell me what "Pulse" (Kairo) is about?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-24-02, 01:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have this, any good. A link to a review would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-24-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...ahh, yes... the movie by the other Kurosawa...

http://www.deep-focus.com/flicker/pulse.html

...a two-disc (R2/PAL) DVD release (which includes the same director's Charisma) is available in France (anamorphic 1.66:1, DD 2.0 Surround,
French subtitles only, I'm afraid)...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=4919

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/charisma.shtml

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-24-02 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-24-02, 08:43 AM
Cool New Member

i don't have it as yet - but i have preordered it from cdjapan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/.
i believe it is has an anamorphic transfer and english subtitles.

i use cdjapan extensively and have always been very impressed with their service. never a lost package and all of my orders have arrived within a week of shipping. can't say that for the US reteailers.

it cost a little more - but worth it.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KWDV-12

hope this helps
kitok
Old 03-24-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 177 Posts
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2027/qx/details.htm

HKFlix has it for $15.00 a lot cheaper than CD Japan, they also have some reviews there also... Just got mine on Saturday but have not watched it yet.
Old 03-24-02, 01:00 PM

I got it for about $10 from DDDHouse. I watched it the other day and I rather liked it. It's not as solid a film as Kurosawa's others (i.e. Charisma and Cure) but a very good ghost story none-the-less.
Old 03-24-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I got the R3 Universe a little over a week ago. Will have a review up in the database in the next couple of days..... But the short- Creepy, interesting, but flawed horror, with a mediocre but acceptable transfer.
Old 03-29-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVDTalk review
Old 03-30-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the R3 version of this and while trying to watch it on my APEX, the picture is full-frame. When I watch it on my DVD-ROM it's widescreen. I have changed the settings on the APEX with no luck. Anyone else with an APEX have this problem with this disc?
Old 03-30-02, 01:17 PM

I believe the DVD is anamorphic and the (cr)Apex is unable to convert an anamorphic picture without stretching it. Unfortunately this is a problem that is built into the chipset and there's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix it.

I had an (cr)Apex and I upgraded to a Malata 996. Perfect PAL conversion and no distortion problems. The wisest player purchase I've ever made and I'd recommend you do the same.
Old 03-30-02, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by carnifern
I believe the DVD is anamorphic and the (cr)Apex is unable to convert an anamorphic picture without stretching it. Unfortunately this is a problem that is built into the chipset and there's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix it.

I had an (cr)Apex and I upgraded to a Malata 996. Perfect PAL conversion and no distortion problems. The wisest player purchase I've ever made and I'd recommend you do the same.
The region 3 Kairo is NTSC not PAL though, so there should be no problem with a anamorphic transfer. It sounds like the player is set to 4:3 pan and scan or maybe 16:9 mode instead of 4:3 letterbox, but if the setting have already been checked for that I have no idea.
Old 03-30-02, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
The region 3 Kairo is NTSC not PAL though, so there should be no problem with a anamorphic transfer. It sounds like the player is set to 4:3 pan and scan or maybe 16:9 mode instead of 4:3 letterbox, but if the setting have already been checked for that I have no idea.
Yes the R3 Kairo is NTSC but unfortunately the Apex cannot convert anamorphic signals whether they're PAL or NTSC. I had an Apex and any DVD that is anamorphic is stretched by the player.

There's absolutely no workaround for the problem using the Apex which is why most people don't buy it anymore. The Malata is currently the only player I know of that can convert an anamorphic image without stretching it. I believe there are a couple of other players that use the same chipset as the Malata so they would work as well.

Avoid the Apex. It is an inherently flawed player.
Old 03-31-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have tried the different settings (P&S, LBX, etc) and nothing works although it does seem as though the APEX is not downconverting. It doesn't list the disc as 16x9 on the case, and even if it were as long as it's NTSC it should do the downconversion. Oh well, thanks anyway guys!
Old 04-01-02, 03:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The only two movies that somehow cant get played with my Apex are "My Name is Joe" and "Fifth Element: Special Edition", they just stop at a certain point, have no idea why? other than that I have not any other problems with my Apex player.