Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Snake In The Eagle's Shadow" and "Drunken Master" re-releases planned!!!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just made my day.

DVD Debate is reporting that the reputable British DVD company Hong Kong Legends is working on re-releases of Snake In The Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master. The existing HK Legends releases of these films are great except for the fact that they have been cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1. But that's going to be fixed with these re-releases according to the following report:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackie Chan fans rejoice - Hong Kong Legends have revealed they're definitely revisiting their former cropped titles, Snake In The Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master. After massive number of requests, the guys at HKL are finally planning to do what they had always wished they could have done in the first place; release remastered 2.35:1 versions of these two Jackie Chan classics with their original cantonese audio.

HKL Producer, Brian White has revealed that he's begun to source materials for the new discs which will form part of the premiere Platinum Collection range of double disc sets including brand new animated menus, cast interviews, feature-length audio commentaries, and retrospective documentaries. There's also another Jackie Chan title waiting in the wings for the Platinum treatment, but it's hush hush at the moment. You can expect to see all three titles some time later this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-16-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, normally I'd be happy, but.... While it is nice that HKL will be fixing their previously botched Drunken Master release (the first was matted wrong, the wrong ratio). The Columbia Drunken Master that comes out in a couple of weeks is supposed to be great. If its everything advance reviews say it is, I'll not need to import a HKL version... As far as Snake in the Eagles Shadow is concerned, it will never come out definativley from HKL uncut. UK censors will remove all the animal fighting like they always have, and although taboo, as an old school purist, those scenes are important and a "must have" in my book.
Old 03-16-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy do I remember these movies... bloody fun! Are these the covers for the original or the Platium series?

Last edited by Krug; 03-16-02 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-16-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the old covers.
Old 03-16-02, 06:59 PM

Reports are the R1 DVD only has Mandarin soundtrack, and the soundtracks have sections that are "mixed up"
ie: The Mandarin tracks has English dialog sections mixed in!!!

I have not read a definitive review though.....

J.T.
Old 03-16-02, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be re-purchasing both of these. Hopefully it will be Bey Logan doing the commentary on these. I've listened to about six of his audio tracks this week. I love listening to this guy talk about movies. I think these are for the most part are some of the best commentary tracks that are out there.
Old 03-17-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a shame about Snake being cut... why can't HK Legends release an uncut "not for sale in the UK" version? It's tragic that a company spends so much time and money to create a terrific DVD of a film like this, only to be forced to cut fighting between two animals to appease the fascist regime (had to quote Sid Vicious there ) of England.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 03-17-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-21-02, 06:11 PM
Banned

I got the Drunken Master DVD from Columbia and the soundtrack
doesn't sound messed. But I only watched part of it though. It's great
to see this movie in widescreen again.