Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sticky moments: announcement[s]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Sticky moments: announcement[s]

Old 03-11-02, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sticky moments [OT]

For quite some time I've been considering a re-jig of how we approach the vexed question as to what threads should be sticky atop of this forum and, to a lesser extent, how to decide on suitable "one-and-onlys".

The Other Forum has already dispensed with the plethora of stickies following a discussion in various quarters where it was suggested that any more than four was too many. Likewise, in the "main" forum I think it was codefree who instituted a system of one master thread listing all the essential ones. Any items of temporary import can receive temporary sticky status as has happened before here once or twice.

So, some time this week, I'm planning to cut free all the current sticky threads barring one or two.

Personally, I think that as AutumnNights' thread already contains links to some or all of the one-and-only/essential threads then it is a prime contender for one of the "top slots". Likewise (in its soon-to-be revitalised form?) Trigger's "Newbie Help" thread might also be deserving of permanent sticky status as a useful pointer.

That is not to detract from any of the other such threads by the way. The work done on all of them is very impressive and I think much appreciated by the regulars as well as by many of the casual visitors here.

The idea of posting this announcement is to allow some feedback on the forum beforehand. If anyone wants their thoughts or views anonymised please feel free - as always - to email me and I'll post a summary of anything I receive (unless requested not to, naturally).

Thanks to all in advance for your understanding and co-operation. And, of course, a particularly big thank you to all of those who have spent so much time on those great ESSENTIAL threads!

Benedict
Old 03-11-02, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it was me who created a thread like that in the main DVDTalk forum awhile back. It'd be nice to see a One & Only Helpful thread here in the International forum. There really only needs to be one sticky with all threads linked inside IMO.
Old 03-11-02, 09:01 PM

Sounds good to me.

I think 2 in here is a great idea. Master index (autunmnight's) and Newbie HK resource (Trigger's) get my vote.

(On a personal note relating to resource threads here: I am in progress of trying to put together some kind of 'Beyond Newbie status HK resource')
I will ask for help/suggestions once I get a rough outline done up. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Many thanks to all who help make this such a great place!
Cheers,
Gabe
Old 03-11-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd be glad to re-do the Newbie thread - clean it up a little and whatnot... I'd like to maybe incorporate the International list of e-tailers in my thread. If I could post the first few posts and then have nobody post until Autumn pops those listings in there. I already had a small section for etailers and links, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as that list. I guess the FS/FT thread can drop, but it'll just mean that people will bump it when they update or add something. Perhaps if we combined the two codefree threads and the cynthia thread into one resource we wouldn't need three seperate "exclusive outside region 1" threads. If someone wants to do a section on other countries besides Hong Kong (and surrounding) like France or India or Russia or whatever, that could be incorporated into some International Newbie Help thread. You'll have to give me a week or so to get my part redone cuz I'm going through some really ugly family stuff at the moment. This way we could have the FS/FT thread, an International Newbie help thread and a comprehensive listing of exclusive outside USA DVD thread. Narrowing it down to three. Either that or just have one sticky and closed thread that has links to all the important threads... it would just make them a little more difficult to find for those new to the forum is all...
Old 03-12-02, 06:38 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally posted by AutumnNights
Well, here're my thoughts on the matter. I think we're talking about fixing something that isn't broken. Personally, I don't find having the "sticky threads" numbering six the least bit cumbersome or visually confusing.
I agree 100%. I don't see any problem with 6 "sticky" threads as long as the information is relevant. I could understand if this was a more crowded forum, and the "stickies" were pushing new posts to the second or third page. But there are threads that are 4 days old at the bottom of Page 1. I don't think this forum is hurting for Page 1 space.
Old 03-12-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ultimately I agree that we don't need less sticky threads, I was just trying to come up with a solution in which they could all stay sticky without taking up as much space. So my first choice would be to leave it as it is.

edit: maybe codefree's two exclusive threads could be combined since they are so closely related to each other, but other than that...
Old 03-14-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree
Originally posted by Aghama
codefree: Since the mods have made these sticky, what would you think about consolidating this and the DTS thread, something along the lines of "DVD Feature Exclusives Outside of R1"?
I'm strongly against that idea. I think it'd make the lists far too long and believe me some would be confused as to which are dts and which are anamorphic no matter how obvious I make it.
IMO, the lists are already far too long, and doubling the length wouldn't make much difference. Another option would be to reformat the DTS list to shorten the half dozen or so really long lines and make it into two seperate columns; the thread wouldn't be any longer, and it would be pretty clear which movie has what feature. Though I don't remember what the official resolution of DVD Talk is; 800 x 600 might not cut it for columns.
Old 03-14-02, 08:42 AM

Why didn't you just ask your question of me in this thread rather than post in my thread when you were just going to quote me here anyway. Please delete your comment from my thread since it's offtopic. Thank you. I repeat, I do not wish to combine my threads.
Old 03-14-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree
Why didn't you just ask your question of me in this thread rather than post in my thread when you were just going to quote me here anyway. Please delete your comment from my thread since it's offtopic. Thank you. I repeat, I do not wish to combine my threads.
Because I didn't know about this thread when I posted in yours. And I quoted you here because a) it was offtopic in your thread and b) Trigger had already brought it up here. You're being overly defensive; my point is just that if your threads are going to be sticky, they should be combined. If they're just going to be linked, then of course it's fine and dandy if they remain separate.
Old 03-14-02, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
my point is just that if your threads are going to be sticky, they should be combined. If they're just going to be linked, then of course it's fine and dandy if they remain separate.
You are entitled to your opinion of course but as the thread author I believe I'm entitled to do what I want with my own threads regardless of if they are stickies or not. Sorry if you take it personal.
Old 03-19-02, 01:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Please note....

LINKS TO OTHER SITES' REVIEWS
[list][*]Links to reviews on sites you aren't affiliated with:
Feel free to provide all the links to external reviews you want as long as you aren't affiliated with the site. Do not, however, cut and paste the entire review into our forum. These folks put a good bit of work into their reviews, they deserve the click throughs.
[*]Links to reviews written by you or written for a site you are affiliated with:
Normally, this kind of behavior will earn you a permanent suspension from our forums. Using our site for free advertising is explicitly against our forum rules. HOWEVER, the special nature of this forum has prompted us to create an exception:

If you write reviews for another site, or would like to post reviews written for your site, we ask three things.
  1. Don't just come here to post your reviews. This is a fun place with interesting people. Take part in the community, don't just look at our members as potential affiliate fees and click throughs. If you don't care about our members, we don't care about you. Let's not waste each other's time. Thanks.
  2. Don't do too many at once. Doing that looks like spam and will be treated accordingly.
  3. Post a mini-summary of your review along with your link. For example: We don't expect you to give away the store, but give our members the option of deciding whether they want to read more or not.[/list=1]

Please understand that we appreciate the hard work that goes into creating a good DVD review, and we also understand wanting as many people as possible to read it. But a lot of work goes into making sure our members are able to enjoy these forums, and a lot of money goes into paying for this bandwidth too. We think the above is a good compromise and one that has worked here for a couple years now. Thank you for your cooperation.
  4. Final note, DVDTalk reviews are obviously exempt from the above.

Benedict
Old 03-23-02, 01:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by AutumnNights
I think we're talking about fixing something that isn't broken. Personally, I don't find having the "sticky threads" numbering six the least bit cumbersome or visually confusing.
In principle I agree with the idea that when it is not necessary to change it almost becomes necessary not to change.

This has been discussed elsewhere and I believe that many said that they had a blind spot where the stickies were concerned simply because there were so many.
I find each thread to be very clearly labeled. [....] I think Trigger, codefree, and cynthia have done an awesome and incredible job on their threads
I agree, and said so in my first post.
But if this "un-sticky-ing" is what the majority want, then I have an even stronger concern about any proposals for what we do with the individual threads and the information in them. Here I respectfully very strongly disagree with Trigger's proposal. Everyone has spent a very large chunk of time working on the threads, and, not wanting at all to sound paranoid/possessive/or having a "go-it-alone attitude", I do not care at all for the idea of merging the information.
Nor do I - and Trigger has clarified what he was suggesting - and of course it won't happen: no-one here I hope would plunder the work that you guys have put in to those threads.

If individuals want to get together and collaborate that is fine but I certainly wouldn't get involved in or condone any involuntary merging of the long-term informative threads.
One other thought, one that I say with all due respect. The threads that we're talking about have had several thousand hits. But right now there are only a few people voicing that (any) changes are needed. Perhaps Couldn't that be construed as an indication that these proposed changes might not be needed at this present time ?
Point taken, although, as you have already suggested, silence can be taken to mean whatever one wishes. There is no indication of the number of unique hits by the way. As well as the regular visitors (see my suggestion below) there are also the occasional visitors and the newbies. Their take on this may be different.

People have complained about there being excess stickies on the forums in general: Limit Sticky thread to 3 per forum, plus. . .

To date I've left things as they are but we'll just have to see what the feedback is looking like after Easter. Regulars could consider doing what I did and set up a DVDTalk folder in their respective browsers containing links to all the threads of longer term interest. Most of us fave Favourite/Bookmark functionality so there is no absolute need to have to search or click onto a remaining catchall thread....

(The number of stickies, incidentally, does not actually affect adversely the number of discussion threads on the front page: the total of non-sticky threads remains the same regardless).

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 03-23-02 at 01:49 PM.