Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody own Angel (Season 1 )?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-02-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it pretty good or should I wait for the Region 1 release.

How many versions are out anyway? I've been at FNAC, Blackstar, DVDzone2, etc. Each Site has the Box set with different covers.

I THINK BlackStar has the best price.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-02, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have it, but you might want to check some R4 etailers b/c the USD is really strong against the Austrialian dollar right now. I have used [url]www.ezydvd.com.auk[/url} and have like them.
Old 03-03-02, 01:41 AM

I have the R4 Angel Season 1 set.

It is pretty good, almost identical to Buffy Season 3 in picture and soud quality. Please note that the R2 UK packaging uses a booklet with 'pockets' to store the discs, whereas the R4 set has each disc in a separate keepcase. The seaon comes in two 3-disc boxsets, the first box has a yellow-ish colour and the second a blue-ish colour. This is identical to the UK VHS release colour scheme.

In contrast, the UK R2 release uses only the Blue scheme.

I would too recommend EzyDVD if you want the R4, though it may not be cheaper than the UK version. Angel Season 1 R4 is around US$70 shipped. The version you choose really depends on whether you prefer the pocket-type storage or 6 keepcases.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/219332/ (Season 1)
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/219913/ (Season 2) - Due April

Last edited by lwdog; 03-03-02 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-03-02, 02:05 AM

Heck ya! Get it today!

I bought mine and from Amazon.co.uk I think they are great because they offer discounts, plus no VAT. So when ordering, the prices really drop, and are comparable to Australia. Box sets are the best deals, when you order individual titles, the shipping replaces the VAT so you end up paying about the regular price. However, the box sets drop enough that they are great deals. I already pre-ordered season 2 as well. Angel, in my opinion, is getting to be the best show on TV! It's funny, interesting, and scary! Buffy has been a bit of a downer, and I am finding myself really looking forward to Monday nights now. So I say order it!
Old 03-03-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Angel season 1 R2 is full frame whereas season 2 is anamorphic widescreen. Itís hoped that when the eventual R1 season 1 set (probably a couple of years off) is released that it will be in widescreen. I have season 2 on order but did not and will not buy R2 season 1.
Old 03-03-02, 12:39 PM

I also own Angel S1 (R4) and am very happy with the release as I am all 3 Buffys. The only flaw about Angel is that the spine on the two boxes could have been done much better like the Buffy's were. The spines don't even say Angel on them.
Old 03-03-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered Angel!!!!!!!!

Went ahead and ordered Angel (S1) along with Superman(SE).

Came out to be $75 American, before shipping(I hope that won't be too much).

Does anybody know how long it takes for Ezydvd.com to ship to the U.S.? They ship all their orders via 'Air Mail' through there postal system.
Old 03-03-02, 11:28 PM

Re: Ordered Angel!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Does anybody know how long it takes for Ezydvd.com to ship to the U.S.? They ship all their orders via 'Air Mail' through there postal system.
I've ordered from them several times and it usually takes anywhere from 5-10 days for the packages to arrive once they've sent an email confirmation of shipment.
Old 03-04-02, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Angel season 1 R2 is full frame whereas season 2 is anamorphic widescreen. Itís hoped that when the eventual R1 season 1 set (probably a couple of years off) is released that it will be in widescreen. I have season 2 on order but did not and will not buy R2 season 1.
Related News. Though not specified, the R4 Angel Season 2 has been delayed by two weeks to April 10... so probably it will be anamorphic widescreen as well, to match the R2 version.
Old 03-05-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A further update:

It appears I missed an important paragraph in last weeks "Angel" announcement:

Following the monstrous success of Angel Season 1 DVD, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have responded to the overwhelming demand for this amazing 6 disc set to be in widescreen. The UK will be the only country offering this release in the widescreen format and with a mouth watering array of special features this is a boxset you can really delve into.

Garth over at Australian site Dark Horizons has confirmed with Fox in Australia that the R4 version will be Pan & Scan. Apparently the same goes for all other releases. So now you know.
Source
Old 03-05-02, 12:07 PM

Well then I'll get the R2 UK version, assuming it's anamorphic of course.
Old 03-05-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears I missed an important paragraph in last weeks "Angel" announcement:

Following the monstrous success of Angel Season 1 DVD, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have responded to the overwhelming demand for this amazing 6 disc set to be in widescreen. The UK will be the only country offering this release in the widescreen format and with a mouth watering array of special features this is a boxset you can really delve into.

Garth over at Australian site Dark Horizons has confirmed with Fox in Australia that the R4 version will be Pan & Scan. Apparently the same goes for all other releases. So now you know.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season 1 (WS) When???? and What retailers??? Maybe, I can still cancel my ezydvd order.

I had to send EZYDVD an email confirming that I was aware that Angel is R4/PAL.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 03-05-02 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-06-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

candyrocket, itís season 2 theyíre talking about.
Old 03-07-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

candyrocket, itís season 2 theyíre talking about.

Ok...so where to I buy Season 2(WS)? Blackstar, FNAC, ???????
I haven't seen any of the U.K. sites list the Aspect Ratio for Angel(S2).
Old 03-07-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.amazon.co.uk www.blackstar.co.uk
It is anamorphic 1.85:1. Retailers will eventually catch up and list the specs.
Old 03-11-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got my Angel (S1)...Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to start taking donations for Season 2 (LOL).
Old 03-11-02, 08:15 PM

www.amazon.co.uk www.blackstar.co.uk
It is anamorphic 1.85:1. Retailers will eventually catch up and list the specs.
Old 03-14-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree

It is anamorphic 1.85:1. Retailers will eventually catch up and list the specs

dvdstreet.infront.co.uk is listing SEASON 2 as 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio.

Has anybody ever ordered from them? How's the shipping?
Old 03-14-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

.............Also, Bensons World is taking orders for Season 2.

Can't decide what etailer to buy it from:

Bensons(has free US shipping, whoo hoo!)
Dvdstreet
Blackstar
Old 03-15-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I've been at FNAC, Blackstar, DVDzone2, etc. Each Site has the Box set with different covers..."

- FNAC is a French company, and would carry the French release, which will necessarily feature a version dubbed into French, as well as the original English-language-with-French-subtitles version, and which may (but does not necessarily) also feature optional subtitles in other (European) languages (Italian, Croat, Serb, Portuguese, Turkish, whatever)...

- BlackStar is a UK company, and would carry the UK, English-language, possibly censored-by-the-infamous-BBFC release, which may (but does not necessarily) feature English subtitles and/or captions, and which may (but probably does not) feature subtitles, captions, and/or dubs in other European languages (Russian, Polish, Czech, Icelandic, Hebrew, whatever...)

- DVDzone2 is a Belgian company, and might carry the Benelux release, which will necessarily feature a version dubbed into French, as well as the original English-language-with-French-and-Dutch-subtitles version, and which may (but probably does not) also feature optional subtitles in other (European) languages (Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Arabic, whatever...)

NOTE: all three may (but do not necessarily) come in different packaging, depending on which company distributes the title in which country...

...who said life was easy?...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-15-02 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by candyrocket786

dvdstreet.infront.co.uk is listing SEASON 2 as 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio.

Has anybody ever ordered from them? How's the shipping?
Um, that's not my quote, it's jonathan.e's. Regardless, I believe the correct aspect ratio of Angel Season 2 is 1.78 not 1.85 or 2.35
Old 03-15-02, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some further details and clarification of the ratio here
Old 03-15-02, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
- BlackStar is a UK company, and would carry the UK, English-language, possibly censored-by-the-infamous-BBFC release, which may (but does not necessarily) feature English subtitles and/or captions, and which may (but probably does not) feature subtitles, captions, and/or dubs in other European languages (Russian, Polish, Czech, Icelandic, Hebrew, whatever...)[/B]

I havenít read of any cuts to this yet (the link I posted above lists "uncut episodes") and regardless the UK is the only country that is releasing this in widescreen so if thatís your preference youíll have to import it as other European retailers will be selling their own local pan & scan/full frame versions.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 03-15-02 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SPEAKING OF CUTS.............................

The Rep. at Benson's World had a very interesting response when I asked him if he knew of any cuts made to the Angel (S2) DVD set.....

His response:

"That's a tricky one...............

What's the definition of a cut? One that is enforced by the censor; one that is recommended by the censor to obtain a lower rating than otherwise would be given; or one that is made by the distributor prior to submission to the censor so that it can be called "uncut"?

It's a question that can't easily be answered..."

CUT or UNCUT, I will be placing my order with BENSON's. They have some great reviews from other DVD Talkers in the STORE FORUM and I was surprised by their immediate responses to my
e-mails.

-cr786
Old 03-18-02, 04:39 PM

Agreed Good to see you here Jonathan.e the same Jonathan.e from DVDtimes?

It was painful as a angel fan not to buy season one, my favorite show, but no widescreen was a killer, I'm waiting for a re-release or region 1 to do a widescreen of it. I don't mind waiting, as season 2 is widescreen on dvd to be released soon, and watching season three on tv.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.