Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Legit "Versus" W/ English Subs

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Legit "Versus" W/ English Subs

Old 03-08-02, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at first, i bought the dvd region x for the ps2 so if you have one, that'll be cheapest, the after a while i went and bought a region free player with PAL to NTSC conversion, best thing i did besides get a divorce
Old 03-08-02, 10:36 PM

sazuma.com has a version available for $19. Is that the bootleg as well?
Old 03-08-02, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by chococat
sazuma.com has a version available for $19. Is that the bootleg as well?
The version Sazuma is selling is definitely the bootleg. There is no other version available aside from the booleg until the official Japanese release.

On a side note, never buy from Sazuma! I've had 2 terrible experiences with them and, if you search around, you'll be able to read dozens of horror stories and absolutely no good experiences. They are the absolute worst online retailer in existence.
Old 03-11-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by carnifern

The version Sazuma is selling is definitely the bootleg. There is no other version available aside from the booleg until the official Japanese release.

On a side note, never buy from Sazuma! I've had 2 terrible experiences with them and, if you search around, you'll be able to read dozens of horror stories and absolutely no good experiences. They are the absolute worst online retailer in existence.

How good will the picture quality really be for the actual release? I haven't had alot of luck with any HK stuff yet....
Old 03-11-02, 07:14 AM

it's a japanese dvd and not an HK dvd. the japanese dvds are put together very well so as with most of them, i'd expect 1st rate picture and sound.
Old 03-11-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dyerjp
it's a japanese dvd and not an HK dvd. the japanese dvds are put together very well so as with most of them, i'd expect 1st rate picture and sound.

Sounds good.....
Old 03-13-02, 02:01 PM

The bootleg copies have terrible picture. (very grainy) Wait for the official release.
Old 03-13-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is the movie like Blade?
Old 03-14-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pay $100 to CDJapan instead of giving $19 to Sazuma.
Old 03-14-02, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by young
is the movie like Blade?
Not really. I'd escribe it as more of a cross between Night of the Living Dead, The Killer and any Ching Siu-Tung film. It's basically an HK martial arts/gunplay style action film with zombies runing around with guns.
Old 03-23-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, at around $51 including the currency conversion fee I'll be charged, this will be the most I've spent on a single DVD yet.
Old 03-23-02, 09:21 PM

My order confirmation says $47.58 but that puts it at about what I spent on Swallowtail Butterfly. The most I've ever spent on a single DVD/set purchase is the Gamera 95-99 Set which cost me $250 shipped (from CDJapan).
Old 03-24-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by carnifern
My order confirmation says $47.58 but that puts it at about what I spent on Swallowtail Butterfly. The most I've ever spent on a single DVD/set purchase is the Gamera 95-99 Set which cost me $250 shipped (from CDJapan).
Well, I've spent more than $50 on a set (Godfather trilogy...). I've spent more than this on a video game that I hardly played more than once. $50 for a DVD, I just hope I like the movie.... If not, I could probably dump this off on eBay for a reasonable price. But, I'm definitely looking forward to this and hope it retains a spot on my shelf.

For anyone that has seen the film, specifically in theaters or at festivals. Barring the actual DVD vs. bootleg in terms of quality, how good can the video and audio of the official release potentially be? I mean, does the film have a Blair Witch home video feel? The only footage or anything I've seen of this is a Quicktime file the size of a quarter. Does the audio of this DVD have the potential of being a strong 5.1 mix?

Last edited by Cornfed; 03-24-02 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-24-02, 01:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so... I am little confused, there is a listing for Versus at www.diabolikdvd.com is this the Japanese edition, or not? I am going to be placing an order for "Porco Rosso" at CDJapan in the next couple of days so is it best to order both titles at once?
Old 03-24-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
so... I am little confused, there is a listing for Versus at www.diabolikdvd.com is this the Japanese edition, or not? I am going to be placing an order for "Porco Rosso" at CDJapan in the next couple of days so is it best to order both titles at once?
They're selling bootlegs... R0 of Versus, Amelie, etc... I wouldn't give this place any business just by the look of the site alone. But no, this is not the Japanese edition. Looks like the omnipresent port from VHS bootleg.
Old 04-30-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I got my copies of Versus and Wild Zero today and will post a review when I get a chance to watch them. Anyone else?
Old 04-30-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I got my copies of Versus and Wild Zero today and will post a review when I get a chance to watch them. Anyone else?
Yes, I got mine today along with Chaos. My Malata won't be here til the end of the month but I'll probably use my dvd-rom to watch them before then(especially if the versus audio is 2.0).
Old 04-30-02, 09:23 PM

My Versus is waiting for me at the post office to be picked up tomorrow.

Good choice on Wild Zero by the way. I have the R2 DVD and, while it's not anamorphic, it's a nice DVD. I'm looking forward to a nice anamorphic transfer from Synapse later this year.
Old 05-01-02, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Versus and Wild Zero tonight... Both are very cool. Wild Zero made almost no sense at all, but was still a really good zombie flick... it was very Alex Cox. Versus was really cool as well, but wasn't really a zombie flick or a vampire flick - it was something else. It was kinda like Blade meets Highlander meets Matrix meets Crying Freeman except that this movie was cool (ok, Matrix was cool too...). It started off strong and managed to keep a pretty intense pace for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the film, then it just started to drag its feet. I still really enjoyed it though. Two from me... one for each film. Minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
Both of these movies ended with a big explosion - that seems pretty typical of Japanese films... they're really good at alot of things, but coming up with a good ending seems to be difficult for them.
Old 05-01-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Trigger I've been contemplating whether or not to wait for the Synapse R1 release of Wild Zero, but might have to go ahead and pick this one up...
Old 05-01-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by roseart
Thanks Trigger I've been contemplating whether or not to wait for the Synapse R1 release of Wild Zero, but might have to go ahead and pick this one up...
If I had known about the R1 version, I would've waited... how long till it comes out? The movie is really cool - punk rock, zombies, exploding heads, questionable gender, and complete confusion. Both of these films are way better than Junk (which I thought was... well, junk). This DVD for Wild Zero has no menus (well, the film just started instead of going to a menu first so I'm assuming there aren't any) and the transfer is reasonable. It has stereo sound and good removable subtitles. I had to tweak the x, y scaling on the malata to get it to look right. You might want to wait if it's not going to be a long wait. I may sell off my Japanese copy when the Synapse version comes out and I can verify that it's a good DVD.
Old 05-01-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

If I had known about the R1 version, I would've waited... how long till it comes out?
No date, just the news

From KFCCinema (4/13/02):

Synapse DVD news
Apparently that Synapse DVD have acquired the rights to the Japanese rockabilly movie Wild Zero. So this might be a good opportunity for those who are still waiting for an affordable alternative to the expensive Japanese release. But RapidEyeMovie, German distributor also have the rights to the movie and will release theri DVD in the near future. The Synapse DVD will be R1 NTSC and the RapidEyeMovie release will be PAL and may not contain English subs.
And Media Blasters has Versus (I will dump my boot and get this release):

Versus in North America
It's now official, Disney is out of the running and apparently Media Blasters is now the proud official owner of the U.S. rights to the Japanese zombie/action film VERSUS. The movie will be released in theaters in the art-house circuit later this year.