International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[Review] F***/OFF

Old 02-23-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
[Review] F***/OFF

Universe Laser DVD

I know this title has generated some curiosity in someone besides me, so I figured I should do a review on it. I watched this a few nights ago. It's a comedy about two strangers who meet and decide to rob a bank together. It's pretty funny. Ah Lee is a middle class businessman who somehow ends up owing alot of money to someone and also loses his job in the same day. He meets PaPa who thinks he's a triad, but he only talks the talk. PaPa decides to teach him how to rob banks, so they go into training... it's like the blind leading the blind. There are some very funny circumstances and there are a few references to other films. It seems like they had alot of fun making the film which is always a good thing. The plot is pretty thin, but for a comedy there's enough there that it doesn't get in the way.

The DVD presentation is nice. Decent transfer (nothing too bad or exceptionally good - typically Universe) and sound (even though it's mono). The subtitles are average. Easy enough to read. I didn't get into the extras, but there's the typical trailers and such and a making of which I watched a few minutes of and it seemed kinda boring and it wasn't subtitled.

I laughed some and I didn't think it was particularly bad... It's not the funniest picture I've ever seen, but it was good. I'd give it a 7/10 for what it was and I'd recommend it to someone looking for a light comedy. It gets a small from me. If I were to rate it against higher standards, I guess it would get a much lower score... some of the humor is very low brow. However, it's an enjoyable little comedy that would be good to tack on to an order if someone was curious about it and wanted to watch a comedy.

Sorry the review is so short, guess I didn't have as much to say as I thought I would. Please feel free to add your 2cents.
Old 02-24-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the title of the movie is done primarily to not confuse this movie with the Nicholas Cage/John Travolta John Woo movie, but more people including myself thought that F*** meant the word that starts with an 'F' and ends with a 'K'.
Old 02-24-02, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
the title of the movie is done primarily to not confuse this movie with the Nicholas Cage/John Travolta John Woo movie, but more people including myself thought that F*** meant the word that starts with an 'F' and ends with a 'K'.
Myself included... I did not know that. Thanks.
Old 02-24-02, 02:35 PM

Nice review Trigger.
I liked too for a light comedy.
Heheh, those taser scenes crack me up.

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 07-29-02, 01:42 AM

I like it ... the two stars in it can be considered the alternative comedians of HK, not your usual Wong Jing juvenile rubbish.