Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Korean movie called Hwa San Go?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-19-02, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen this movie? It was released last Nov. How was it if you've seen this movie.
Old 02-20-02, 03:03 PM

Do you know the English Title to the movie?
Old 02-20-02, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by trae
Do you know the English Title to the movie?

No. I don't think there is one. All I know about this movie is that it opend November 2001 in Korea. It' about High school students and their teachers trying to gain super power or somthing. It's suppose to have effects that is similar to Matrix, but with a low budget for Hollywood standars. This is movie's website. I think it is all in Korean.
http://whasango.co.kr/
I am pretty sure it is official website. This site also has couple of trailers.
Old 02-20-02, 04:35 PM

Hwa San Go means Fire Mountain Highschool in english
Old 02-20-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
That looks totally cool - wow! The trailer is awesome. I wanna see it now. Wasn't there another Korean movie about kung fu fighting in a high school with cool effects? I know there was a thread around here somewhere.
Old 02-20-02, 07:52 PM

Trigger was it called Whasango? It's still in the theatres in korea right now i believe. About this kid with superhero type powers.
Old 02-20-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sildenafil
Hwa San Go means Fire Mountain Highschool in english
The english title is actually Volcano High

Volcano High ["Hwasango"] Directed by Kim Tae-gyun. Screenplay by Suh Dong-hun, Jung An-chul. A contemporary martial arts/fantasy about a high school for students with supernatural powers. One day a new student transfers in, after being expelled from eight previous schools. This time, he's determined to graduate. Starring Jang Hyuk, Shin Min-ah, Huh Jun-ho. Cinematography by Choi Young-taek. Produced by Sidus Corp. Distributed by Cinema Service. Rating: 12. 116 min. December 8. (http://whasango.co.kr)
Old 02-20-02, 10:57 PM
MiK
Cool New Member

Whasango

The movie is out of the first run theaters in Korea, and should be headed to video/DVD soon.

Not too good, from what I've heard... nothing really going for it other than the drawn out fights and some low budget but still nifty effects.
Old 03-27-02, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - now I KNOW there was another Asian film involving special effects and a school or something. Please - someone tell me what the other film is that I'm thinking of - must've just come out real recently and I'm certain I saw another thread somewhere. Could've been before I saw this thread or after. Anyway - I want to know when this flick comes out on DVD... anybody know?
Old 03-27-02, 10:22 AM

Yeah I wouldn't go getting my hopes up for this one..It was in and out of the theaters here in Seoul pretty quick-Never a good sign...Never fancied it myself but a few of my work colleagues went and they said that the fights were few and not very good and that the best bits were shown on the making of that was on tv before Xmas..(lots of wirey type fighting-and not too realistic either).Definitely one for the teenagers they said....

The trailer looks good but Koreanmovies these days never seem to live up to the promises made in teh trailers....
Old 03-28-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Darcy's Korean film page:
http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm01.html#volcano

Volcano High

Comic books are more popular in Asia than in any other part of the world, and in Volcano High we get a movie that aspires to the look and feel of Asian comics. Bizarre, disjointed, and at times obnoxious, the film is nonetheless true to its word, and it delivers a distinctive visual and auditory rush.

Set during an unspecified time frame which mixes bits of the past and future, Volcano High tells the story of a high school student with intense supernatural powers. Able to lift objects and hurl them through space with his mind, he nonetheless has problems with control, which gets him expelled from eight successive high schools. When he arrives at his ninth, a place filled with other students much like him, he is desperate to avoid expulsion, but harassment from other students (and teachers) makes his internal struggle more and more difficult to bear.

This is the third film for director Kim Tae-kyun, whose previous works were in romantic comedy: The Adventures of Mrs. Park (1996) starring Shim Hye-jin and Shall We Kiss? (1998) starring Ahn Jae-wook and Choi Ji-woo. When casting for his new film, he decided that a new-styled genre deserves new actors, so he chose Jang Hyuk and Shin Min-ah for his leads, both of whom are making their film debut. The roles they take must have been a challenge, given the film's schizophrenic leaps between different moods, but they pull it off rather well. It's the older actors who steal the show, however, particularly the neurotic vice principal, played by the man who narrates the story of "Boiler Kim" in Barking Dogs Never Bite.

To be honest, my favorite thing about this movie is its color scheme. After shooting, the production team digitally enhanced each frame of the film in order to create a distinctive mood, in much the same manner as Amelie or O Brother, Where Art Thou?. The dark tones that result are impressive, giving the film a brooding, unforgettable aesthetic.

Kim Tae-kyun says he made this film for the generation that grew up surfing the web. One second you're reading the news, then in a flash you flip through discussion boards, shopping sites, and chat rooms from other countries. His film shows much the same impatience, careening through different locales and wildly exaggerated actions. Many viewers become frustrated with the film's rapid mood swings, but it is nonetheless an interesting ride.

Trailer at the end. Can't wait for this DVD release....
Old 03-29-02, 05:52 AM

well i watched the movie in the theatres here...the movie wasnt that good and the visual effects lose their appeal after the first 10 times. i generally love movies like this and find most movies in general pretty watchable-but the last fight scene i just wanted to hurry up and end so i could get out of the theater. the trailer really made me want to watch the movie...just dont get your hopes up.Its eye candy-but not very good eye candy...

but a movie i would recommend is Guns and Talks which also came out on DVD recently..i laughed out loud in a few scenes and movie was really enjoyable.

also a heads up on another movie that came out here recently called Jungle Juice. Its about 2 guys without direction in their lives who decide to become gangsters. They run into trouble with the law and the gang itself over missing cocaine. The movie wasnt that great..but they had more nudity(also sex scenes) and cussing than i can ever remember in a korean movie for people who like that stuff.
Old 05-07-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm told we are to expect the Korean release of Volcano High on DVD next month. It's going to be on a new label called Cinema Service - their first DVD is Public Enemy and will be released in a few days. Volcano High will be their second apparently.
Old 05-07-02, 02:54 PM
MiK
Cool New Member

YES

Great news about Public Enemy hitting DVD so soon.

Any word on 2009 : Lost Memories?