Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Henson's THE STORYTELLER in R2/Netherlands!!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-18-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I love this show and I can barely sit still in my seat. Can someone translate this, please? Apparently two discs have been released in the Netherlands.

http://www.dvdspecials.nl/recensies/...yteller_1.html

http://www.dvdspecials.nl/recensies/...yteller_2.html

Last edited by cynthia; 02-18-02 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
This probably doesn't make too much sense, but this is what I was able to get via translation page (http://translation.langenberg.com/)

first link provided:

"release: Region 2, The Netherlands ( junto )
publisher: Bridge Entertainment
Speelduur: 80 minutes
stage-manager: # Steve Barron
# Jim Hands
# Charles Sturridge
leading part: # John Hurt
# Brian Hands
style: Fantasy, Folk Tales
species Disc: DVD 5
Beeldformaat: 1.33:1
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0
subtitle: Dutch ( sure within symbol )
extra Election: not one

Volume [content?]: ****
Symbol [picture?]: **
Sound: ***
sentence: ***

Volume
Jim Henson’s "The Storyteller" is one splender soap opera based on special Europese and Russian volksverhalen. Jim Hands wax among others responsible until heat when "The Muppets" and "Dinosaurs", solely too until movie when " labyrinth ", "The Witches" and the fantastic "The Dark Crystal". "The Storyteller" is out of 9 number with everyone one speelduur with one tiny semi- o'clock wherein storyteller John Hurt is being bijgestaan through cynical annotation with one's hound . Bridge Entertainment brings this splender fantastic heat within z'n wholly out of worn three DVD's. Strangely enough has you themselves yet not the originele order with the number kept . Solely ranch, remaining it is principle with the heat very nice and thus ready-made who this suitable is until the complete household . The face guard and stock one's thus now and then somewhat nep, though who proper not truly troublesome is and the wholly remaining splender is aangekleed. In conclusion does John Hurt the very ranch when storyteller and is the muzikale support very suitable . Whole-hartedly upon within order!

This review goes within worn the first disc, on which the next three fairy tale standing:
# One Tale within Little
# Treurroosje
# The Giant Without Heart

Subjoined treft you with everyone tale the synopsis like beschreven worn the slipcover .

Synopsis: One Tale within Little
Long ago partner yonder hunger within the land . Too sprookjesvertellers hadden nothing within have dinner . Solely within the palace with the king wax yonder yet plenty nourishment . Thus pillowcase the sprookjesverteller the royal kitchen within and probeerde what have dinner within seize . The cook wax wild and was willing him within the cook with gas petroleum toss . Solely the king smile erom and vergaf the the sprookjesverteller worn term who he one wholly year tall everyone night one original tale would be tell .

Synopsis: Treurroosje
Yonder wax sometimes one king who three daughter had . The two senior were wholly vicious, solely the young one, Treurroosje, wax one ranch and sweetheart sweetheart who through their sister terrible wicked went behandeld. Who went solely solely worse when the king besloot within hertrouwen. Now were acquainted with one's land one stranger statute . The king was obliged to viz. wed with who queen who the royal wedding ring fits .

Synopsis: The Giant Without Heart
The oude king heel wholly very very many with one's people . Therefore deed the him very many grief who yonder within one's land one giant woonde who with all the persons row make . Lucky wist the king him within catch and worn within shut within one obscurity prison with one tiny window . Years went past . Until worn one bye bye Leo, the young one son with the king, the window ontdekte.

Technique
This through Bridge Entertainment uitgegeven DVD is uitgevoerd within the standard 4:3 (1.33:1) beeldformaat and has unfortunately one disappointing beeldkwaliteit. The symbol is sufficiently onscherp and the tone one's not undoubtedly untroubled and ranch separate within this remittance . Next to the onscherpe reproduction it is troublesome qua beeldkwaliteit undoubtedly the vigorous amount beeldruis who continuous present is . in short The symbol with this DVD is undoubtedly worse then one mean transmission worn TV . Wholly very unfortunately, because the fairy tale one's very pretty!

The sound with the release is with one reasonable quality and uitgevoerd within the standard Dolby Digital star . The principal with one product when this is normal the dialogue . This is very good understandable, what by John Hurt's splender voice ranch until utterance comes and one prominent scroll vervult within the creation with the separate an atmosphere of "The Storyteller". The wholly latch very yet somewhat warp and go-ahead with true enough little trend, solely one reasonable whole sound reproduction with the pretty muzikale support . Noise is well-being present, solely within restricted measure and sometimes not even truly understandable audible .

Extra Features
The menu with this DVD one's rope when the number uitgevoerd within the standard 4:3 (1.33:1) beeldformaat. The statische representation see yonder relatively out of and shut ranch upon towards the an atmosphere of "The Storyteller". Unfortunately contains the disc yet nobody extra election, very not one promotionele trailers whether spotlight .

Inference
Firstly wish I Bridge Entertainment compliment until the utter with one fantastic heat when "The Storyteller" with the master der fantasy, Jim Hands . The fairy tale c.q. volksverhalen will many viewer partial well-known prevent with for instance the acquaintance fairy tale with the brothers Grimm. Partial, yonder this somewhat adjusted one's whether simply other variant one's worn the acquaintance tell . The tell went sooner surely too jarenlang with opening worn opening doorvertelt, what by yonder various variant ontstonden. John Hurt is within everyone case sore suitable when storyteller and the wholly is pretty aangekleed and with suitable music band provided . Unfortunately is the DVD with Bridge with one very many worse quality . The symbol is worse then one mean transmission worn TV and the sound is reasonable . Next to it contains the target total sum not one extra, what by solitary the truly lover with fairy tale will consider to this heat upon within travel supply until one not yet within high price . "

2nd dvd:
release: Region 2, The Netherlands ( junto )
publisher: Bridge Entertainment
Speelduur: 80 minutes
stage-manager: # Steve Barron
# Jim Hands
# Charles Sturridge
leading part: # John Hurt
# Brian Hands
style: Fantasy, Folk Tales
species Disc: DVD 5
Beeldformaat: 1.33:1
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0
subtitle: Dutch ( sure within symbol )
extra Election: not one

Volume: ****
Symbol: **
Sound: ***
sentence: ***

Volume
Jim Henson’s "The Storyteller" is one splender soap opera based on special Europese and Russian volksverhalen. Jim Hands wax among others responsible until heat when "The Muppets" and "Dinosaurs", solely too until movie when " labyrinth ", "The Witches" and the fantastic "The Dark Crystal". "The Storyteller" is out of 9 number with everyone one speelduur with one tiny semi- o'clock wherein storyteller John Hurt is being bijgestaan through cynical annotation with one's hound . Bridge Entertainment brings this splender fantastic heat within z'n wholly out of worn three DVD's. Strangely enough has you themselves yet not the originele order with the number kept . Solely ranch, remaining it is principle with the heat very nice and thus ready-made who this suitable is until the complete household . The face guard and stock one's thus now and then somewhat nep, though who proper not truly troublesome is and the wholly remaining splender is aangekleed. In conclusion does John Hurt the very ranch when storyteller and is the muzikale support very suitable . Whole-hartedly upon within order!

This review goes within worn the second disc, on which the next three fairy tale standing:
# The Ware Fiancée
# Louder Fear
# The Three Raven

Subjoined treft you with everyone tale the synopsis like beschreven worn the slipcover .

Synopsis: The Ware Fiancée
Anya wax one poverty-stricken orphan girl . They was obliged to the keep house until one devil trol. The enge little man gaf their not possibly mission and strong their rough when they who not might fulfill . Anya wax dreadful unlucky . Until worn one bye bye one stranger, unexpected pal their came support .

Synopsis: Louder Fear
Yonder wax sometimes one kleermakerszoon, who until wide grief with one's parents nowhere until virtue . The tailor besloot one's son the wide worldwide within within transmit to somewhat within teach . The puppies had not one opinion what uneasy one's betekende he had yet not ever gesidderd with terror . He was glad to teach what who betekende, thus went he worn road in search of vicious nature, frightening one moment and enge specimen .

Synopsis: The Three Raven
Yonder wax sometimes one devil witch who queen was willing turn . When they hoorde who the queen with the king overleden wax, spellbound they the king and true with him . The witch wax yet wholly jealous worn the children with the king and without who this the wist veranderde they the three prince within raven. Lucky wist the princess within get away, solely to their three broertjes weather back within sustain mocht they three year, three month and three summon not talk .

Technique
Deze door Bridge Entertainment uitgegeven DVD is uitgevoerd in het standaard 4:3 (1.33:1) beeldformaat en heeft helaas een teleurstellende beeldkwaliteit. Het beeld is nogal onscherp en de kleuren zijn niet bepaald helder en goed gescheiden in deze transfer. Naast de onscherpe weergave is het storendste qua beeldkwaliteit ongetwijfeld de flinke hoeveelheid beeldruis die continu aanwezig is. Kortom: Het beeld van deze DVD is zeker slechter dan een gemiddelde uitzending op televisie. Heel erg jammer, want de sprookjes zijn erg mooi!

The sound with the release is with one reasonable quality and uitgevoerd within the standard Dolby Digital star . The principal with one product when this is normal the dialogue . This is very good understandable, what by John Hurt's splender voice ranch until utterance comes and one prominent scroll vervult within the creation with the separate an atmosphere of "The Storyteller". The wholly latch very yet somewhat warp and go-ahead with true enough little trend, solely one reasonable whole sound reproduction with the pretty muzikale support . Noise is well-being present, solely within restricted measure and sometimes not even truly understandable audible .

Extra Features
The menu with this DVD one's rope when the number uitgevoerd within the standard 4:3 (1.33:1) beeldformaat. The statische representation see yonder relatively out of and shut ranch upon towards the an atmosphere of "The Storyteller". Unfortunately contains the disc yet nobody extra election, very not one promotionele trailers whether spotlight .

Inference
This is the second disc out of the splender heat "The Storyteller" with the handshake with Jim Hands with John Hurt when sore suitable storyteller . The heat is pretty aangekleed and with sore suitable music band provided, what by the lover with fairy tale delightful may receive . Unfortunately is the DVD with Bridge with one very many worse quality . The symbol is worse then one mean transmission worn TV and the sound is reasonable . Next to it contains the target total sum not one extra, what by solitary the truly lover will consider to this heat upon within travel supply until one not yet within high price . "

incidentally, I know I've seen several of these, but the "Giant without a Heart" is the only one I can remember.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-18-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Tuan Jim! All I could find were Dutch to English dictionaries that would only translate one word at a time.

I also got a response from the reviewer about the DVDs:
Rember that Holland uses the PAL television standard. In the US is NTSC the standard. So if you have a multi-standard TV or DVD and/or convertors.. visit one these Dutch webstore when it becomes availaible (Feb 26) and ask them if it's posible to ship to your country. They will understand English, so feel free to ask!

www.rodirect.nl
www.dvdstore.nl
www.dvdshop.nl
www.dvdoutlet.nl

But remember... only 4:3 picture format (because it's a TV series) and DD 2.0 stereo sound. Dutch subtitles are always onscreen! (not optional). Picture quality is less than a normal TV broadcast (sometimes quite unsharp and a lot of noise). Sound is just OK for stereo.

at your service from Holland: www.dvdspecials.nl
That's unfortunate about the picture quality and subtitles. I wonder if this series has a chance of being released anywhere else.
Old 02-19-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, first The Family Guy and Futurama, then Battlestar Galactica, now The Storyteller. Man, these recent overseas TV releases are killing me. I'm happy, but my wallet is screaming for mercy!
Old 02-19-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the third volume. That makes all 9 episodes!

These all street Feb. 26, by the way.

http://www.dvdspecials.nl/recensies/...yteller_3.html

I'm trying to decide if I can deal with the Dutch subtitles...
Old 02-20-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A fine show but I’m not starting to buy discs with locked foreign subtitles. Bide your time, I’m sure they’ll eventually be released in UKR2.
Old 02-20-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by cynthia
Here's the third volume. That makes all 9 episodes!
There were 9 episodes of The Storyteller, but there were an additional 4 episodes produced for The Storyteller: Greek Myths.

I have the entire run on a set of very old Japanese laserdiscs. Picture quality is not so great (sounds about the same as the description of these DVDs), but there are no forced subtitles. The discs contain an alternate Japanese dub track on one of the audio channels instead.