Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My insane GALAXY EXPRESS (both films) R3 DVD reviews

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-14-02, 07:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GE999 was my very first taste of non-U.S. animation, oh so long ago (must be nearly 20 years) and it has a very special place in my heart.

I went a bit nuts and 4 hours later, there ya go...

http://www.deceptions.net/captures/ge999.html

Yeah, it's not a fancy dancy frame ridden site, but it'll do.
Old 02-15-02, 03:46 PM

Supercool Animeg Pop-Philosophy

Thanks for the review, dude!

I remember watching the TV series when I was a kid in Korea around '81 and seeing snippets of it in a '97 rerun.

One of the things that I enjoyed the most was the at-the-end-of-the-episode-commentary/narration. At the end of each episode, there was some third party voice-over which kinda mentioned the philosophical aspects of that episode.

Some of the remarks were corny, but some were really really cool in their depth as I noticed when I was watching for the second time.

Anyone know if these dvds have some sort of narration, too?
Old 02-15-02, 11:12 PM

No, nothing like that. Some of the TV show can be found fan subtitled. I have episodes 1-4.
Old 02-16-02, 08:20 PM

I google'd and ended up ogling over a website (http://www.videogamers.com/ramza/rzp/projects.htm) I found that sells fansubs.

Anyone know if RZ Productions is reputable?
Are their tapes copied from SVHS masters?
Old 02-17-02, 10:17 AM

No idea, but I will email him and ask about how his masters are created.
Old 09-21-02, 08:53 AM

Knowing that both are R3, I still got both Galaxy Express and Adieu, Galaxy Express from Korea.

I was able to play Adieu on my R1 Toshiba 1200 player.

When I try to play GE, however, I get "DISC ERROR" displayed on the player.
Old 09-21-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely adore both Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu! - slightly preferring the sequel to the original, albeit, the ending of the latter does make me feel that I would have appreciated it much more had I watched the entire run of the TV series!

That being said, thanks for the review! Though admittedly, my excitement for this R3 release has diminished quite a bit from reading some of your comments about the framing. Ugh. I think I'll wait for a release that maintains the proper framing - though I wonder if that will happen in R1 anytime soon.

What I'm really dying for though is what I feel is Leiji Matsumoto's masterpiece - Arcadia Of My Youth. You can't beat a story that revolves around Captain Harlock, can you?

For the moment, I'm getting a slight fix with the R1 release of Cosmo Warrior Zero. There's nothing quite like the works of Matsumoto - they're absolutely silly space opera's that are oft ridiculously melodramatic - but there's a goofy charm, and epic-ness to his tales that pull me in so easily.

Anyway, enough with the digression... Thanks again Matt for the review...

-matt
Old 09-21-02, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by raithen
I absolutely adore both Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu! - slightly preferring the sequel to the original, albeit, the ending of the latter does make me feel that I would have appreciated it much more had I watched the entire run of the TV series!

What I'm really dying for though is what I feel is Leiji Matsumoto's masterpiece - Arcadia Of My Youth. You can't beat a story that revolves around Captain Harlock, can you?

For the moment, I'm getting a slight fix with the R1 release of Cosmo Warrior Zero. There's nothing quite like the works of Matsumoto - they're absolutely silly space opera's that are oft ridiculously melodramatic - but there's a goofy charm, and epic-ness to his tales that pull me in so easily.
The good news is Arcadia of My Youth is slated for a March 2003 release from AnimEigo. The Bad newsd is that Arcadia of My Youth is slated for a March 2003 release from AnimEigo. They are notorious for their delays, but for the most part they do take a lot of cafre in their releases.

And yes Cosmo Warrior Zero is actually a great piece of current work from Matsumoto. I've been disssapointed with Haqrlock Saga and Maetel Legend. Cosmo Warrior is a healthy step back into the spirit of the Marsumoto Universe and its themes.
Old 09-25-02, 06:54 PM
Rza
Cool New Member

may i ask where (which online store) you got the dvds from?

thanks.
Old 09-25-02, 09:50 PM
Banned

Do you know if the TV series of GE999 will be made into Korean DVDs?
Old 09-26-02, 04:23 PM

www.dvdasian.com has them. Great place. The sequel is actually R0, but the first film is R3, so that's why it will error in a R1 DVD player.

I doubt if the series will be released anywhere but Japan. A shame. I'd love to have it.
Old 09-27-02, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Now you guys should know that the R3 DVDs of both Galaxy Express are bootlegs, right? The films are indeed authorized, but the English subtitle track is ripped directly from the VIZ videos - and they DIDN'T license those out.

Unfortunately I bought them before I found out that they were boots. Ah well. . . .
Old 09-27-02, 03:12 PM

Bootlegs my a**. Both films were legally licensed from the Japanese studio. However, they copied the English translations from the script used by VIZ, which is widely available on the Internet in script form.

You cannot just "rip" (computer term) a subtitle track off a VHS tape. VHS is not DVD. So no, this ain't a bootleg and no one should hesitate buying it.

And by the way, I have tried to get an answer out of VIZ for THREE YEARS as to any plans they might have for GE999 on DVD and not once did they respond. They flat out ignored me. So to hell with them.
Old 07-24-03, 11:09 PM

Possibly the TV serial in 6 box sets?

It appears that it's only in japanese, though, with no mention of subs.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...770280-0364250

Hopefully somebody make these with English subs, someday.
Old 07-27-03, 03:52 PM

I've seen these. They are exceptionally high quality, but Japanese only. They have been bootlegged to death in China, with subs. So much so that it appears the studios interested in picking up the series of DVD here are no longer interested because of the amount of bootlegs sold. They are of high quality.

That is a bad thing. Very bad. The pirates are doing serious damage to these cult titles.
Old 06-29-04, 07:48 PM

Looks like a new box set is being sold in Korea: it has GE 999, Adieu GE 999, and a special feature disc

Special Features
* 예고편 모음
* 스토리보드 비교
* 자료모음(한국과 일본 은하철도 마니아들의 소장품 사진)
* 김국환 씨의 주제가와 본편의 영상을 편집한 특별 뮤직비디오 두 편(은하철도999, 눈물 실은 은하철도)

Special Features
* Collection of trailers
* Comparison of Storyboards
* Collection of materials (Collectible picture of (by?) Korean and Japanese fans)
* [Some kind of music video by Kim Kuk Hwan]

no information as to whether the special disc is subtitled.

_면 [video]: Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9, Color, NTSC

오디오 [audio]: Dolby Digital 2.0

자막 [subtitle]: English, Korean

더빙 [dubbing]: Korean, Japanese

지역코드 [region code]: Region 3

Last edited by gopeglegs!; 07-01-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 02:50 PM

ive seen the movies listed for sale at www.koreandvds.com : great company and service / prices etc... good for HK dvds to (odd!)... recommended.