Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Recommendation] "The Secret Life of Us" (Australia)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[Recommendation] "The Secret Life of Us" (Australia)

Old 02-13-02, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Secre Life of Us" (Australia)

Well, I've just finished the first 3 episodes of this Aussie TV series (coproduced with Channel 4 in the UK) and i LOVE it. I find it a lot more engaging, and the characters even more likeable, than "This LIfe," the BBC series.

Anyway, there are 22 episodes out on DVD already (surprising since it was produced in 2001), so I just went to chaosmusic.com and ordered the rest of the series. This one's addictive... if you like television about 20- and 30-somethings finding their way in life and through relationships, I definitely recommend it!

Kerry
Old 02-14-02, 11:19 PM

I also wholeheartedly recommend the series. The depth that was shown at the beginning of the season never went away, and surprisingly becomes even more engaging as the series went on.

And Kerry, it is indeed surprising that the First Season (22 episodes) is already available on DVD (as 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen), seeing that broadcast only finished around last November.

The Second Season commences Broadcast soon, with recent AFI (Australian Film Institute) winner Vince Colosimo joining the cast.

So there's never a better time to start. By the time you finish with the First Season, there probably won't be a very long wait at all for the Second Season to appear on DVD.

Fingers crossed!
Old 02-15-02, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by lwdog
And Kerry, it is indeed surprising that the First Season (22 episodes) is already available on DVD (as 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen), seeing that broadcast only finished around last November.

The Second Season commences Broadcast soon

I have a friend who lives in Sydney, and when I told him I was getting the series on DVD, he raved about it... and mentioned that season 2 is about to start. Watching it makes me want to move to Melbourne, just like watching "Queer as Folk" made me want to move to Manchester. People in other countries seem to lead lives much more interesting than mine!!

Kerry
Old 02-16-02, 05:38 AM

Melbourne is great.
Old 02-16-02, 07:21 AM

heeeeeee...

lwdog: i will be attending University of Melbourne this July...... *in glee*

Last edited by blessthemess; 02-16-02 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-16-02, 09:16 PM

Ok. Getting way off topic, but Melbourne Uni is great: I taught there for the past three years. Now you can see whether all the sunshine and Beaches and trams and nightlife you see in The Secret Life of Us is real.

So all the more reason to buy the DVDs and get yourself ready.

Last edited by lwdog; 02-16-02 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-17-02, 07:27 PM

Even further out...

lwdog: Hey dawg! Thats a fantastic idea... only problem is i(heh) got Geoffrey Wright's ROMPER STOMPER instead. Its on the way from amazon.... i can see ur [IMG]C:/Windows/Desktop/Faces/jawdrop.gif[/IMG]

The Secret Life... not another hormonlly-charged McBeal rite?
Old 02-18-02, 02:57 AM

Hmm... Nothing like Ally McBeal at all.
Old 02-18-02, 07:09 AM

Re: Even further out...

The Secret Life... not another hormonlly-charged McBeal rite? [/B]

Oh, not at all.... it's just really well-acted, well-written, very addictive drama. There's nothing contrived or cliche about it -- it's really down to earth, and the characters are all really likeable. If you go to chaosmusic.com, they have the DVDs (3 eps each) for about US$14 apiece... at least get the first disc just to check it out. By the third episode, you'll be hooked.

I wanna move to Melbourne.
Old 02-18-02, 12:32 PM

By any chance would there be sum gorgeous Screen Shots?
Old 03-26-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got these yesterday, so I haven't had time to watch them all.
Just wanted tio say that according to the back of the DVD case these are formatted for Regions 1-6 (Basically the same as having no Region coding).

This means that these will play in all DVD Rom drives. So, if you can't handle
PAL but have a DVD-ROM drive, you can play these.
FYI, computers can handle PAL or NTSC.

Some people, like me, probably have a multi-region DVD Player which handles PAL, but I know that others do not
Old 03-27-02, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by diesteldorf

This means that these will play in all DVD Rom drives. So, if you can't handle
PAL but have a DVD-ROM drive, you can play these.
FYI, computers can handle PAL or NTSC.

Some people, like me, probably have a multi-region DVD Player which handles PAL, but I know that others do not
I first tried them in my region 1 player and you're right -- i got the NTSC error message. Good thing my Apex has the converter built in.

When you've watched a few episodes, post your comments on here -- would love to know what you think of this show. I've been recommending it to everyone!