Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adventures of Tintin and Snowy (French Series)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-10-02, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to read these books when I was much younger. I'm in the process of buying the books and reading them again as I know they will bring back alot of childhood memories.

I then started wondering if they have the series on DVDs and they sure do. Over at www.tintin.com they have some of them but not all. I found out the complete set consists of 10 dvds.

Well my question is does anyone own this series or know where would be the cheapest place to buy them? and any other thoughts you might have on it

P.S Don't confuse this with Rin tin tin.
Old 02-10-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... TinTin...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=1818

...have you checked the cinestore site?...

http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...age=1&id=10435

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 02-10-02 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-10-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,223 Likes on 814 Posts
Milou is Snowy???
Old 02-10-02, 10:36 PM

thanks for the links Hendrik, now I just need to take a couple of french courses and I'll be ready to order actually I realized today that I won't be able to watch them anyways since they are region 2 dvd's and I'm here in the states (region 1).

isn't that funny eXcentris? I always thought the dog was named Milou too, but the actual story behind it is at first we know the dog as snowy and it's only later that we find out that his real name is Milou.
Old 02-11-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...now I just need to take a couple of french courses..."

...well... actually, you don't !... all discs feature optional English (and Spanish) subtitles - or, for those people who do not like to 'read' movies, optional English (and Spanish) dubs...

...of course, what you do need is an all-region player that will convert PAL to NTSC (e.g. Malata)...

. . . . . .
Old 02-11-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I have nearly the entire series on special edition Indonesian VCD's -- in little tin cases w/ special coasters included inside. Indonesian subtitles, but still pretty good. Especially for approx. $3 each.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-11-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, just did some more digging. www.disctarra.com (indonesian etailer/retailer) carries the VCD's for about $1.50 each given the current crappy exchange rate.

http://www.disctarra.com/tarra/home_...n&select=Video

Can't tell if they come in the tin cases or the foldover cardboard ones.

If you need to translate any pages: http://sangenjaya.arc.net.my/sent/index-e.html

Looking at a closeup of the cover picture it looks as though these are the "special editions" including the coasters, although I don't see anything specifying subtitles, they look EXACTLY the same as the ones I have, which are subbed. If you notice looking at the covers, the Title has the Indonesian translation beneath it.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-11-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tuan Jim: ...the $64000 question: are there any Indonesian movies available on DVD - or even VCD ?

...the reason I ask is that, sometime in the 1980s, I happened to catch a couple of Indonesian films on German TV (dubbed into German, of course!) and they weren't half bad... ever since then I've been curious what other cinematic 'treasures' might be available from that country...

. . . ? ! . . .
Old 02-11-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been looking for awhile -- especially since there are more Thai and other SEAsian flicks coming out on DVD. However, even when I was there summer a year ago, there were no DVD's anywhere (that I could find). The exchange rate and whatnot are so bad, that everything is VCD, VCD, VCD.

I can ask my folks to look around again sometime, but chances are pretty slim, and an Indonesian movie, (dvd produced in Indonesia), w/english subtitles, is virtually nil IMO.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-12-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...oh, welll, it was just a thought...

. . . . . .
Old 02-12-02, 03:00 AM
Cool New Member

Just a warning. Disctarra.com has the worst shipping charges on the face of the earth. They are through the roof, and in most cases will give you second thoughts. Make sure you check the total before you order!
Old 02-12-02, 03:13 AM
Cool New Member

For instance, shipping one VCD to the US (they only ship using Express Mail) will cost you an additional $28.00.

OUCH!
Old 02-12-02, 08:18 AM

DOH! that's not even and arm & a leg, it's more like a whole body...jizzz

I had heard about the tintin series being on indonesian vcd's except my understanding was they are dubbed in english with indonesian or malaysian subs. I see them being sold on ebay alot except people are asking way too much for the vcd's.

thanks for all the info so far glad to know I'm not the only tintin fan our there hehe
Old 02-12-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the cartoon series that was produced by Nelvana, a major Canadian animation house? The series played on Canadian TV for a long time (and perhaps still does), so there is definitely a good English "dub" available. I quoted dub because the mouth movements certainly did not look like they were done for any particular language.

Anyway, I once inquired to Nelvana directly about the series. They didn't have any DVD plans yet, but did offer to professionally transfer the entire series to VHS and sell it to me. Of course, it seemed to be a backdoor type of deal and I happen to be located in the same city as them. I don't remember the price, but it was well under $150 CDN (~$90 USD). Probably closer to $100 CDN.
Old 02-12-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My folks are coming back to the states this summer and I could ask them to bring some more back with them, and/or I could ask them just to buy a bunch and ship them to me, then I can unload them on you guys -- if you really want them that badly. I won't charge you that much for shipping at any rate ;p

email me if you're interested, but I'm only looking for definite orders. I'll check again and see if there's a definite list of them they can pick up at the local store.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-17-02, 01:17 AM
che

I have seen a couple of Tin Tin cartoons on the local PBS station (San Francisco) and thought they were okay.

Tuan Jin: How many VCD's are in the entire series? 20? 30?

I would be interested in buying some if that can be easily arranged. Please PM me about total costs. TIA
Old 02-17-02, 06:16 PM

After a price comparison, I ended up ordering the boxed Tintin 10-volume set from www.dvdzone2.com for 139.99 (that's about $118) plus postage (19.99 express & insured to the USA, 9.99 within europe).
English-language menus, too.

I've bought from them before without problems. Cinestore asks 150 for the same set.

Roelof.

Last edited by Roelof; 02-17-02 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, just heard back from my folks. The local store has the following VCDs:

Black Island
The Calculus Affair
The Broken Ear
7 Crystal Balls
Prisoners of the Sun
Land of Black Gold
Red Sea Sharks
The Castifiore Emerald
Tintin and the Picaros
Destination Moon

About $3 each. They're checking on shipping costs, but for the sake of simplicity, orders would need to be more than a single disk.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-20-02, 01:41 AM

jim... do you know the audio format of these vcd's? and the subtitle, if any etc....?
Old 02-22-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're in some sort of mpeg format since I can play them using windows media player or the PowerDVD. They're subbed (hard obviously) in Indonesian, but all the dialog is the original(?) English dub.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-22-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... the original sound would/should be French!...

. . . . . .
Old 02-23-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they were made by a Canadian company - hence it could go either way, or was it actually recorded in France?

I know the books were written by a Belgian, and that the original text was French (Tintin in the Congo isn't available in any other language - PC reasons I believe).

Tuan Jim
Old 08-21-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news kiddies!

Tintin is being re-released October 14th in UK region 2 by Anchor Bay. There will be 4 stories on each of the two volumes, at a nice price. I expect there will be more coming out later. I wonder if Anchor Bay will do something for region 1?

http://www.playserver3.com/play247.a...2&title=105949
Old 08-22-02, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
I thought they were made by a Canadian company - hence it could go either way, or was it actually recorded in France?

I know the books were written by a Belgian, and that the original text was French (Tintin in the Congo isn't available in any other language - PC reasons I believe).

Tuan Jim
The cartoons were produced by Canal+ a French television.
But I think the cartoons were shot in Canada.
French voices (accent) are definitly French and not French Canadian
English voices (accent) sounds like English from England
The reason being the cartoons are used on cable TV as language lessons.

It is "Tintin au pays des Soviets" which was censored. Indeed the book is pretty anti-communist !
Old 08-22-02, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the cartoon of "Tintin in America" ever shown in the US and Canada? It seemed that the networks always omitted that particular mystery for some reason - did it have questionable content?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.