Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

fnac order / email - help with french needed

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-07-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Malata player the other day, and placed my first international order last night. I can understand a good deal of the French (5 years in high school), but haven't used it for years. I saw where they listed what they shipped to me, but one of my DVDs (La Haine) was not on the list. So I'm thinking that this paragraph has something to do with that:

En raison d'un retard d'approvisionnement, nous ne serons vraisemblablement pas en mesure de respecter notre promesse. Nous preferons prendre les devants et vous informer des aujourd'hui. Nous regrettons vivement ce retard et vous presentons nos excuses pour le desagrement que nous vous causons.

Des que nous aurons des precisions de la part de notre fournisseur, vous en serez bien sur immediatement informe.
If I'm getting the gist of it right, they seem to be saying they're sorry that they couldn't ship something but they'll either inform me when they get it or they just cancelled the order... I'm not sure - heck I may be way off here.

Any help is much appreciated... Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-02, 07:04 PM

I put your quote in an online translator and got this:

Because of a delay of provisioning, we will not be able probably to respect our promise.

We will preferons to take the initiative and to inform you as of today.

We deeply regret this delay and let us presentons you our excuses for the nuisance that we cause you.

As soon as we have precisions on behalf of our provider, you will be well on immediately formless.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ha... that's pretty good. That's basically what I got from it, although some things obviously weren't translated... Do you have a linkso I can just use that site in the future? I did some searches for translators, but all I found were word-by-word ones and pay sites for full translations like that (rough as it may be).
Old 02-07-02, 11:57 PM

If I'm getting the gist of it right, they seem to be saying they're sorry that they couldn't ship something but they'll either inform me when they get it
That's exactly what they're saying! Here's how I would translate that message (as a native French speaker.) Not that it makes any difference of course, since you fully understood it the first time around...

Due to a delay with our supplier, we will most likely be unable to honor our promise. We wanted to make sure you knew about this immediately. We deeply regret this delay, and wish to express our apologies for any inconveniences we might have caused you.

As soon as we get more information from our supplier, we'll be sure to let you know.
For free translations in many languages, try babelfish.altavista.com... It will even translate entire web sites (although it might have problems with sites using frames or fancy HTML.)

Cheers.

Last edited by Abstrakt; 02-08-02 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-08-02, 03:47 PM

I used the translator at: http://www.systranet.com/systran/net