Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheapest and best place to get Shiri (Special Edition 2-Disc Set) and...

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-24-02, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brotherhood of the wolf DVD's. The chheapest I've foiund for Shiri is 28.99? Help please! Would like to see before it hits US theaters.
Old 01-24-02, 10:10 PM

Check http://www.dvdzone2.com for Brotherhood of the Wolf. They have the 3 disc LE and the 2 disc SE. There are no English subs on either version though.
Old 01-24-02, 10:32 PM

Unlikely to get the shiri 2 disc cheaper than that, although, if you have paypal, you can get it from http://www.yeondvd.com/action.html#shiri for $27 including p+p. (could also get you seriously into korean films aswell )
One thing to add. The 2 disc set had the film edited down by around 5 minutes by the director (although I think the cut scenesare contained as extras, but no subs I would think. heh, I'm on the same boat as you, in that i haven't got the disc, but i've seen the film).

Hope that helps. if you need to know more about korean films, head off to http://www.koreanfilm.org/
Old 01-24-02, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by yangshouwen

One thing to add. The 2 disc set had the film edited down by around 5 minutes by the director (although I think the cut scenesare contained as extras, but no subs I would think. heh, I'm on the same boat as you, in that i haven't got the disc, but i've seen the film).
It's actually only a couple second clip that was cut - and it was a directorial decision. The director cut it because it just made no sense in its placement at that point. It was like it cut away from the main action to show this useless couple second clip. It is there on the disc as an extra and once you watch it, you'll understand exactly why he chose to cut it out.
Old 01-25-02, 12:00 AM
Cool New Member

what scene was it?
Old 01-25-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cut Scene

That scene didn't make sense. It was like some one just pulled a clip from somewhere else in the movie and stuck it after that windows scene and realized it didn't belong there, but forgot about it cuz it was time to go home....

It's is on the 2d disc.
Old 01-25-02, 08:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

A 1 minute scene was pulled by the director that simply didn't make sense. he was correct to do it.

The Columbia/TriStar version comes out in April and will easily best the Asian DVD's in the picture quality department.
Old 01-25-02, 11:42 AM

Thank you all. I guess I'll wait for the Columbia one. As it seems that the others don't have english subs. Boo Hoo.
Old 01-25-02, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by B4Bishop
Thank you all. I guess I'll wait for the Columbia one. As it seems that the others don't have english subs. Boo Hoo.
Erm... the film does include english subs on r3 and r0. The extras don't though. The 2 disc has dts, and i'm not sure whether the r1 will, as it's only a 1 disc 9what extrs included won't be as extensive as the korean 2 disc).

look here for some more views on the US release and some stuff this thread hasn't seen (yet ) http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/mod...430&forum=1&31 (just go towards the end of the thread for those bits of stuff)
Old 01-25-02, 09:56 PM

There is a slight difference between the DTS and DD5.1 soundtracks. Very slight, I think.

However, I did an A-B with my fiancee and some friends and they could not tell the difference between the two.

Add the fact that the compression job on the R1 will be vastly superior to the Asian DVD's (I know this for a fact, because the mastering job is done), this is a must buy. The word I got is that the R1 edition will blow the others away in the quality department.
Old 01-25-02, 10:23 PM

There is nothing wrong with the picture quality of the Shiri Korean SE.
Old 01-25-02, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by codefree
Yes there is http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=416
Old 01-26-02, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by codefree
Sorry, but that's not correct. It may look good on PC monitors and most tube TV's (which are small), but blown up on a RPTV or FP system, it is clear that the MPEG2 mastering is quite poor when compared to even the average low bit rate U.S. DVD.

This image here is an example:
http://www.deceptions.net/captures/shiribad.jpg

This is from Power DVD and cropped to the show just the face. There is little detail, the image is soft, with digital smearing and artifacts. On my 47' HDTV, the flaws are always seen, from start to finish. I played this DVD on a 65" HDTV last year andthe flaws were so distracting, it was hard to enjoy the movie.

Before I had my HDTV, I though the DVD rocked. But I know that, unfortunately, it does not. The Columbia DVD will be a massive improvement.
Old 01-26-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I finally got around to watching this last night. I bought the 2-disc Bitwin anamorphic SE from PokerIndustries a few months ago for $29.

Although I agree with some of the comments in the review (from the link above) about the "less than perfect" video quality (i.e. it's quite good, but not great, with some noteable flaws), this was a totally enjoyable viewing experience. It's certainly not as good in video quality as many other anamorphic DVDs, but I just didn't find it that bad.
I watched it on a 57" Sony widescreen kp57hw40, with a JVC progressive player. I used the DTS audio mode.
In my opinion, the flaws in the video were easily ignored, basically outweighed by the pleasure of being to view this great movie.
I too would hope that the Columbia DVD will have improved video quality, assuming that it's not cut or dubbed.
Old 01-26-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd2001
Well, I finally got around to watching this last night. I bought the 2-disc Bitwin anamorphic SE from PokerIndustries a few months ago for $29.

Although I agree with some of the comments in the review (from the link above) about the "less than perfect" video quality (i.e. it's quite good, but not great, with some noteable flaws), this was a totally enjoyable viewing experience. It's certainly not as good in video quality as many other anamorphic DVDs, but I just didn't find it that bad.
I watched it on a 57" Sony widescreen kp57hw40, with a JVC progressive player. I used the DTS audio mode.
In my opinion, the flaws in the video were easily ignored, basically outweighed by the pleasure of being to view this great movie.
I too would hope that the Columbia DVD will have improved video quality, assuming that it's not cut or dubbed.
Would you recommend shelling out $30 now or waiting 5 months for the Columbia release?
Old 01-26-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cornfed,
Well, that's a tough question since I have no idea what the Coumbia DVD will be like, other than some likely improvements in picture quality (maybe that information is available somewhere).
If you haven't seen it, you could probably buy it now and get all or most of your money back by reselling it on ebay or half, since it's still quite a while before any better version will be available.
If it turns out that the Columbia release will have some major cuts in it, or will only be available dubbed, then this current SE could remain in pretty strong demand.
I like this movie enough that I plan on holding on to this copy until there is confirmation that the Columbia version will be better in all regards.
By the way, I just checked at PokerIndustries, and they still sell it for $28.99, and if you place an order for over $50, you'll get free priority shipping. I've had good experiences with them in the past. I think there's also a 10% off coupon for DVDtalk members on the coupon page.
Old 01-27-02, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

the columbia dvd should be uncut as the theatrical release is also uncut. i believe it will have less extras than the 2 disc Shiri special edition. I'm also hearing that the video quality on the Columbia disc is much better than the other dvds.

Old 01-27-02, 02:33 PM

wait

i would wait if i was you, i was also not to pleased with the transfer of the shiri dvd, i truely doubt it will be cut, and im pretty sure it will have orginal lanuage, columbia tristar have been good in that, ie. drunken master soon to come, and time and tide
Old 01-27-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Columbia can put out a disc of Shiri on par with their release for Time and Tide, I'll be happy.
Old 01-27-02, 03:45 PM

The Columbia SHIRI will be every bit as good as the R1 TIME AND TIDE. It is uncut (confirmed). Wait the few months. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.
Old 01-27-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 217 Posts
Cool, and thanks for the info Matt. I have been contemplating getting it now for quite awhile. I will also wait.
Old 01-27-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
The Columbia SHIRI will be every bit as good as the R1 TIME AND TIDE. It is uncut (confirmed). Wait the few months. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.
Thanks. I bruise easily.