Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dagon -- anyone heard of it or know DVD status?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-24-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After finding this thread at badmovies.org (http://www.badmovies.org/bbs2/read.p...&i=7975&t=7975), I headed over to the website mentioned: www.fantasticfactory.com (spanish).

more info: http://www.fantasticfactory.com/defa...itol=dagon.cfm (spanish)

The trailer can be found here: http://dagon.fantasticfactory.com/

Looks to be an interesting translation to film of "Shadow over Innsmouth". Has anyone here seen it and if so, any recommendations? Looks like it's only been out in Spain for 2 months, but I don't know how long movies take to shift to DVD there.

At any rate, just wondering about it. Looks pretty good.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-24-02, 08:32 PM

I heard that this movie was in the works several months ago but nothing since. I'd love to buy it on DVD though.
Old 01-27-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, checking out the site again -- babelfish is a great help on the info pages and even the forum. Looks like it's set in some small Spanish town but the general premise is that of "Shadow over Innsmouth" -- wonder if they'll have the surprise ending? Also I'd be interested to know how gory it actually is. I saw some of the screenshots, and personally, I don't mind some graphic moments, but if it's too excessive, I'll probably stay away.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-27-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by codefree
I heard that this movie was in the works several months ago but nothing since. I'd love to buy it on DVD though.
Its actually been a long time coming. Stuart Gordon was supposed to do the film over ten years ago after he made From Beyond, but financing fell through. Actually, it happened a few times, once he was just days/a week away from filming and the bottom fell out. The original project had creature designs by Bernie Wrightson. Now after all these years he's finally made his loose adaptation. Advance reviews I've read said it was pretty good, but its hard to trust advance word from scifi/fantasy/horror conventions.
Old 01-27-02, 07:55 PM

Speaking of From Beyond, it'd be nice to get a nice DVD with an anamorphic transfer of that great movie! I loved it almost as much as Re-Animator.
Old 02-01-02, 10:11 AM

Lion's Gate will be releasing "Dagon" in R1 sometime in 2002. Gordon himself is still not sure what kind of DVD treatment the film will get, but he did say that it will have more features than "Faust".
Old 03-27-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Any news? I want this.
Old 03-27-02, 08:11 AM

I've read some excellent reviews for the movie so far. Some have called the best adaptation of Lovecraft ever. It's currently available in Brazil and you can get the DVD here: www.dvdbrazil.com

Keep in mind that this DVD is fullscreen and a US widescreen DVD is due a little later in the year so I'm waiting.
Old 03-27-02, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by carnifern
I've read some excellent reviews for the movie so far. Some have called the best adaptation of Lovecraft ever. It's currently available in Brazil and you can get the DVD here: www.dvdbrazil.com

Keep in mind that this DVD is fullscreen and a US widescreen DVD is due a little later in the year so I'm waiting.
I just received the Brazilian version in the mail yesterday. Is it for certain that the US release will be widescreen or is that just a guess?
Old 03-27-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone asked me in an e-mail about my thoughts on the Dagon DVD.

First off, it's Region 0 NTSC and I'll paste what I wrote:

Dagon-Sect of the Sea DVD

I saw it last night. I really dig it. I am going to keep a copy right next to my Re-Animator and From Beyond DVDs. I read some mixed reviews, which brought me in with low expectations. I must admit, I really liked it. It is very creepy and immediately gives you that "I am stuck in this strange town and I can't get out" feeling. There was a lot more gore than I expected and although some of the SFX were sorta the stuff you'd see on the SciFi channel, the gore/decapitation/ripping scenes were amazingly well done. The adaptation from the book was pretty much spot on, which I didn't expect. The only downside was that some of the minor characters were unintelligible. The first thing I noticed was that the lead character looked exactly like Jeffery Combs (from the other Stuart Gordon films: Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator. From Beyond, etc). Hmm.. good in-joke. Another great thing that stood out was the sound-mix. Simply amazing the ambient sounds you hear in the town and throughout the film.

Also, this DVD is presented open-matte. I was afraid it was cropped but looking at the "Making-of" featurette you can see that they just opened up the top and bottom without cropping anything out. Oh and yes there is nudity, sacrifices and profane language in this movie.
Old 03-27-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't recall any gore and decapitations and whatnot in the original story. Just how close does this stick to the original: "Shadow over Innsmouth"?

possible:
Spoiler:
does the army come in and bomb the place? Who would be killed by the fish people? The old drunk guy?

Tuan Jim
Old 03-27-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

**Could be a visual spoiler or appetite spoiler**

Anyways, the original story is set in New England. It's kinda a mix between Dagon and Shadow... It was to be made after Re-Animator but people thought it was too "out there" so they took out and dusted that script for the movie. I think, so far, it has the closest feeling of what I expect an HP Lovecraft movie to project. More in line with Shadow. I'll have to re-read the stories again.

I consider the removal of prominent removal and display of skin.. decapitation (also remember the last scene with Barbara)... I consider guts hanging out of someone... gore.. YMMV
Old 03-27-02, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by codefree

I just received the Brazilian version in the mail yesterday. Is it for certain that the US release will be widescreen or is that just a guess?
A guess really. What's virtually certain though is that there will be a great release in Spain with bonus features. This has been the case for other Fantastic Factory films so I'm sure it'll be no different with this one.
Old 03-27-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by axolotls return
**Could be a visual spoiler or appetite spoiler**

Anyways, the original story is set in New England. It's kinda a mix between Dagon and Shadow... It was to be made after Re-Animator but people thought it was too "out there" so they took out and dusted that script for the movie. I think, so far, it has the closest feeling of what I expect an HP Lovecraft movie to project. More in line with Shadow. I'll have to re-read the stories again.

Spoiler:
I consider the removal of prominent removal and display of skin.. decapitation (also remember the last scene with Barbara)... I consider guts hanging out of someone... gore.. YMMV
See, I'm much less likely to buy it for something like that, I mean is it seriously graphic or what? (I don't mind stuff like The Thing, Starship Troopers, Dawn of the Dead, but I'm not sure how much more I could stand). I like Lovecraft (books) because it leaves it to your imagination for the most part, along with this, I'm not sure that a movie version needs to have the gore in it either (it certainly wasn't in any of those stories). I'll admit there were some of his stories where gore would fit in, but not those ones -- these ones were far more macabre/bizarre/inhuman than truly graphic.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-27-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There really is only one scene that I consider "graphic" (the first part of the spoiler and it is the anticipation and length that makes it so). It won't catch you by surprise, so you'll have the option of turning away or FF past it. This definitely is not in the Lovecraftian style but it is in the Stuart Gordon style.
Old 04-26-02, 02:01 PM

Lion's Gate will be releasing Dagon in Region 1 on July 23.

No word yet on special features.
Old 04-27-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info. Think I'll be picking this one up in July.

Tuan Jim
Old 04-27-02, 11:58 PM

"FWIW, here's a review of of the film and the dvd :
http://www.creature-corner.com/reviews/dagon.php3

That review is for the Brazilian version. I haven't seen any reviews yet for the Region 1 release.
Old 04-28-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chococat
"FWIW, here's a review of of the film and the dvd :
http://www.creature-corner.com/reviews/dagon.php3

That review is for the Brazilian version. I haven't seen any reviews yet for the Region 1 release.
dunno if that's a reply to my last comment. I noticed that in the review -- kinda early to be reviewing a July release. Anyhoo, it was a little more on the overall movie quality/sound/video/etc., and less on the individual dvd. Hopefully the LG release will set it up so the subs only appear on parts with different language -- I couldn't tell if the Brazilian one does that.

Course, I woulda expected Portuguese on a Brazilian release.

Tuan Jim
Old 05-01-02, 09:46 PM

I just finished watching a VHS (yes, I know) screener of "Dagon" and I was disappointed. The whole time, I could feel Stuart Gordon wishing that he'd had the money to make the real "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" movie that he wanted. The movie starts out promisingly, and then devolves into one long chase scene. I'm glad that I saw it, but I won't be buying the DVD unless it has a ton of extras.