Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Children of Paradise ... masterpiece.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-19-02, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't recall the last time I was so overwhelmed by a film as I was with Marcel Carné 's Children of Paradise. The Criterion DVD is amazing and the transfer unbelievably better than the Laser Disc I saw of it years ago... ( please remember it is still from 1945 ! )

I was absolutely blown away by this film on DVD... it comes out Tuesday, and I strongly suggest a purchase... the greatest French Film ever made ?... perhaps.

I hurriedly wrote my graphic review ( good captures ) here:

CLICK HERE

If Criterion had released this prior to Jan 1 then I would say an easy winner for DVD of the Year in my books...

Have any of you seen this film ? and in what format (s) ?
Old 01-19-02, 02:03 PM

Re: Children of Paradise ... masterpiece.

Originally posted by Gary Tooze
...the greatest French Film ever made ?... perhaps.
I wouldn't limit its greatness to French films only. It is quite simply one of the greatest films ever made period.

I've seen it at revival theaters and on video about half a dozen times. I've been waiting for it to be released on DVD for years now, and can hardly believe the wait is almost over. Thank you, Criterion!
Old 01-19-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ebert's writeup

Ebert did a writeup of the movie in his The Great Movies series. Here's the link.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatm...y-ebert06.html
Old 01-20-02, 02:23 AM

I got the zone2 DVD from UK some months ago.
The picture is great and the quality of the dvd is fine, it is 3 hours+ in one dvd without any extras. The minus thing is its subtitle cannot be turned off, as I understand french quite well, the subtitle can be annoying at times.

I already got the Criterion LD years back, and this make me hesitate should I get the 3rd copy of this great film. Umm ....I know I 'll get it anyway....
Old 01-21-02, 09:38 AM
Banned

The minus thing is its subtitle cannot be turned off
Same with the Criterion... but its on 2 discs... with commentaries on both... magnificent !

cheers,
Old 01-21-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Gary Tooze
Same with the Criterion...
That is not true. Criterion discs always have *optional* subtitles.
Old 01-30-02, 09:18 AM
Banned

Subtitles ? burned or no ?

I thought so too Tyler, but here another chap ( from another Forum ) has had the similar problem that I had with these Discs:

I also had some serious problems with Disc 2. I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but do check it out for me. I may have to return the set if I'm the only one. The problem is that even though I select no subtitles on Disc 2, they keep popping up anyway. I tried ejecting the disc to erase the 'memo on' function and try it all over, but the subtitles appear no matter what, even if I press the 'subtitle' key on my DVD remote. On the other hand, the Disc 1 works perfectly. I don't get it.
??

Anyone else have this... I don't consider it a problem, except when I was making screen captures for my review... I require the subtitles... but I suppose others do not...

Cheers,