Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

West Wing on DVD Soon (R2 & R4 news)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

West Wing on DVD Soon (R2 & R4 news)

Old 01-17-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the west wing on dvd?? kinda....

for what it's worth i just read on the digital bits that warners is considering putting the west wing out on dvd.... in region 2. if this happens i guess that will cinch my purchase of a new dvd player.

mods, if this needs to be moved to the international forum feel free. i wasn't sure where this went.
Old 01-17-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As this deals with a Region 2 release, moving to the International DVD & Movie forum.

- C
Old 01-17-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 225 Likes on 131 Posts
From DVD Debate, a site that covers R2:

The hugely popular TV drama The West Wing comes to region 2 DVD courtesy of Warner on March 25th 2002. With an all star cast and tight, slick storylines, the series has proved to be tremendously popular around the world. The triple disc DVD set features the first 11 episodes of the first season for 34.99 along with a trailer, web link and interviews with Martin Sheen, Rob Lowe, John Specnser, Alison Janney, Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Moria Kelly, Writer Aaron Sorkin and Director Thomas Schilamme.

::end quote::

DAMN. Now I want a multiregion player. Between this and Hitchhikers Guide...
Old 01-19-02, 10:19 AM

The Region 4 release has been announced for a release date of 17th April, with the complete series one being released in two parts. Presumably this will be two box sets with three DVDs in each box similar to the way Buffy is released in Region 4. No confirmed details are yet available though.

Ian
Old 03-03-02, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
West Wing on DVD this month (Reg 2)

Hi folks,

Hope this is allowed here but just to let you
know that, for all those with multi-region
dvd players, the West Wing is finally out on
DVD in Region 2.

The first boxset (Volumes 1-3) has 11 episodes
from the first season. Only extra features talked
about are:

- Interviews With: Martin Sheen, Rob Lowe, John Spenser, Allison Janney, Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Moira Kelly, Aaron Sorkin (Creator), Thomas Schlamme (Director)
- Trailer (30")
- Web-link

It is Fullscreen 4:3 with a Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo soundtrack

Due for release on 25/03/2002

Anyway, here are some useful links!

Amazon.co.uk have it for 27.99 sterling.
Also, Blackstar have it for 28.29 sterling.

Check with the sites for shipping. To find the cheapest, you
can use region 2 price checking sites like DVDPriceCheck

At last, it's out!

C.
Old 03-03-02, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Adboy151
As this deals with a Region 2 release, moving to the International DVD & Movie forum.

- C
Except for the fact that this was in the "wrong" forum, I would not now have hope of this coming out in DVD in region 1. Is there an average time that it takes before a typical region 2 shows up in region 1?
Old 03-04-02, 08:30 AM

Unfortunately, for most syndicated TV shows, the answer tends to range from 'takes forever' to 'never'...
Old 03-04-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lwdog
Unfortunately, for most syndicated TV shows, the answer tends to range from 'takes forever' to 'never'...
Exactly. I wouldn't consider an R2 release of a TV show any sign of hope for a R1 release. TV product releases are VERY different between regions...
Old 03-04-02, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by lwdog

Thanks, anyway.....
Old 03-07-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got this in the mail:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

Regarding your order for "The West Wing - Series 1 Part 1[1999]", I wanted to give you an update on the status of this title.

We have contacted the studio, and they have informed us that the release date of this title has been delayed. They now expect this DVD will be available in April, 2002, however please know this may be subject to further delays.

Looks like at least a small delay on this set...
Old 03-07-02, 08:43 PM

Although I am obsessed like the rest of you with purchasing dvds and the like, I am an amateur when it comes to the technical details. Could someone please help me out and tell me what the difference is between Region 1 2 and 4??? Does this mean if I live in the U.S. I cannot buy this West Wing dvd set? Is this like PAL and NTSC videos? And how do i know if my dvd player is "multi-regional"? I'd appreciate any info I can get. Thank you so much.
Old 03-08-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LouRavioli
Is this like PAL and NTSC videos?
No, Region Coding is a different thing altogether.

Most DVDs are encoded to only play in the region where they were purchased. USA/Canada is Region 1. So most DVD players purchased in the USA will only play DVDs made for the USA (reg 1).

There's a map and some info at this link:

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

PAL and NTSC issues remain the same as they were for VHS and other formats. That is, England (which is Region 2) is still PAL, while Japan (which is also Region 2) is still NTSC.

Do you have a multi-region player? If you don't know, the odds are that you don't. Most players have to be "hacked" to do this, although there are some cheap players available to play all regions. If you do a search in this forum, I'm sure there are quite a few threads dealing with this.

So, to play either the R2 or R4 West Wing set, you would need a DVD player that can play multi-regions and also play PAL DVDs.
Old 03-08-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert

So, to play either the R2 or R4 West Wing set, you would need a DVD player that can play multi-regions and also play PAL DVDs.
i have the malata n996 which works great. there are lots of threads about it around the forum.
Old 03-11-02, 08:10 AM
Cool New Member

West Wing now seems to have an April 8, 2002 release date at Amazon.co.uk