Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gerry Anderson's UFO on R2 in March

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 06:38 AM
JFM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally.......March 18 sees the first DVD release of UFO, for my money Gerry Anderson's best.

Vol's 1 and 2 will be available seperately on March 18, or as part of a 4 DVD digipack. Vol's 3 and 4 follow on May 13. I suppose that's about 3 episodes per disc.

These releases take us up to episode 13 of the series, with the rest to follow later in the year.

No word of extra's or specs yet.
Old 01-08-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As this deals with a Region 2 DVD release... Moving to the International DVD & Movie forum.

- C
Old 01-08-02, 08:10 AM

I used to love UFO, all those cheesy haircuts and flairs.

If I remember correctly it started out like typical Gerry Anderson Kids-stuff (but with real actors), but ended up a bit of a wierdy Glastonbury prisoner hippy acid trip.
Old 01-08-02, 09:10 AM
JFM

Always the best for me. OK, you can pick huge holes in it - just 3 interceptors with one missile each to defend the Earth from space?

But I still think the effects hold up pretty well, though the fashions are hilarious. I can remember watching it first time round. I also remember the later episodes of the series were a little more adult, and were shown late at night in the UK.

I remember endlessly sketching the vehicles at school - thought they were really cool, especially the Mobiles.

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with the sound - would be awesome with a 5.1 track. And there must be some extra's they can find.
Old 01-08-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extra features will be spread across the discs, and will include commentaries by Edward Bishop and Gerry Anderson, stills galleries, an alternate opening sequence, a deleted scenes gallery, character profiles, "Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organisation (SHAD 0) dossier part 1 & part 2", actor profiles, and "doppelganger illustrated text featurette".

Already up for pre-order at www.play.com. Not a great price though and I’m sure we’ll see better.

There were some beautiful Japanese Laserdisc box sets done for this show that were packed with cool extras. Still turn up on EBay from time to time.
Old 01-08-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool. I remember reading something about this on the Carlton site. Play.com had them for £11.99. Seemed like a good price to me. Is that the price you saw? Its a good price for norway anyway and that is delivered so you can't beat that.

Jim
Old 01-10-02, 07:43 AM

Gotta have the box set.

I remember as a kid getting the UFO game (I think you had to send off 20 Kellogs box lids and 2/6 or something), but it was glow in the dark and great.

I bought the Dinky Interceptor and Mobile, shame they never brought out the UFO itself.

I'm getting old.

Bingo
Old 01-10-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bingo Bongo
Gotta have the box set.

I remember as a kid getting the UFO game (I think you had to send off 20 Kellogs box lids and 2/6 or something), but it was glow in the dark and great.

I bought the Dinky Interceptor and Mobile, shame they never brought out the UFO itself.

I'm getting old.

Bingo
Now if you still had it, i'd be on my knees. Glow in the dark stuff is the coolest.
Old 01-11-02, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the post

http://www.amazon.co.uk has them up for preorder too !
Old 03-26-02, 09:02 PM

Just received this -- the picture looks *incredible* and the show itself is classic 60s. You expect Austin Powers to come walking in any minute, baby!
Old 03-27-02, 03:11 AM

Yeah Baby! My Box Set arrived today!
Very cool packaging for a classic series.
The way things are going, I'm gonna need a Gerry Anderson shelf in my DVD cabinet.
Got UFO Series 1, 8 volumes of Thunderbirds + 2 movies, up-to-date with Space 1999 and thinking seriously of purchasing the Stingray & Captain Scarlet Box Sets!
Anyone have Stingray or Captain Scarlet and care to comment on the quality?

Cyberdemon
Old 03-27-02, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cyberdemon, just curious, where did you order yours? Is it the Carlton zone 2? Or is there zone 4 release of UFO.

I still haven't received mine :-(

Jim
Old 03-27-02, 05:52 AM

Jim, I got it from Amazon UK. - 4 days to Australia!
No R4 release, only had Thunderbirds released locally.

Cyberdemon
Old 03-27-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok great, Im sure the delay for me is with Norway, as is generally the case, and since everything is closing down for easter, if I don't get them today, I'll have to wait til next week.

Enjoy your set!

Jim
Old 03-27-02, 08:53 AM

I received mine in California a couple of days ago. Played the pilot episodes and looked at some of the extras and really like the dic's so far !

Also, it appears that they are actually region 0 PAL, I didn't have to tell my Malata to become region 2 before I could play the first dvd.
Old 03-27-02, 09:10 AM

Anyone have Stingray or Captain Scarlet and care to comment on the quality?
The Captain Scarlet set is great; the episodes look good, have 5.1 and mono sound, and there are a nice variety of extras. They include a couple commentaries by Anderson, the Capt. Scarlet records, publicity material, and a lot more. There's a disc with a special documentary as well. Also, a postcard-like insert is included iwith each disc, which has photos of the various characters and detailed bios for each. Finally, the final case contains a Spectrum button. Very cool, and well worth the money. I highly doubt the US set will match all this stuff, although I guess anything's possible...
Old 03-31-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FaustBos
Ok great, Im sure the delay for me is with Norway, as is generally the case, and since everything is closing down for easter, if I don't get them today, I'll have to wait til next week.

Enjoy your set!

Jim
Oh thats interesting about the zone free. My machine is univeral, it switches automattically so I didnt notice. I got my disc 1!!!! Been having a blast watching it.