Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"This Life" - UK TV series

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-02, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a british TV series called "This Life" that's currently only available in the european format... does anyone know if this will ever be released on Region 1 format? I've heard it's amazing, and I'd love to get it, but it won't work!

Kerry
Old 01-06-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hadn't heard of this before, but just added it to my list of "things to check out". Sorry don't know if it will be on zone 1 though. But I found it on zone 2 though its a bit pricey. I've found TV series in the UK tend to be as full price as you can get.

Jim
Old 01-06-02, 12:01 PM

I don't know anything about the DVD but I remember the TV series and it was very good. Unfortunately they only made 2 series of it.
Old 01-10-02, 05:40 AM

THIS LIFE - UK

Several people have told me that this is every bit as good as the British "Queer as Folk" -- just wondering if anyone has heard plans for its release on TV or DVD in the US! Or.... has anyone had luck with any place or website that will alter your DVD player to allow it to pla REgion 2 DVDs?
Old 01-10-02, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh...

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/zone/this_life

...cheaper here (free shipping worldwide!)...

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000062294

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-10-02 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-10-02, 01:36 PM

While you guys are at it, there is a new similarly excellent Australian TV drama, slightly less cynical than 'This Life' as a R4 release, called 'The Secret Life of Us'.
Old 01-10-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, thanks lwdog, looks pretty cool. Question though. There was a TV movie to introduce the show, right? Is that considered episodes 1 and 2 on the first disc? or is the TV pilot not available?

I found the The Secret Life of Us series listed at http://www.chaosmusic.com/ doing a search under the complete title. I suppose its not too expensive, I should pic one up to try it out. Let me know if you have a recommendation. Oh and as for This Life, I think I'm going to pic that up as well.
Old 01-11-02, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't rush to assume that everyone will like the Secret Life of Us. It's about a group of 20 something Australians and their (mostly sexual) relationships. It borrows both the narration aspect and brutal frankess about sex from Sex in the City but has none of the humour and not a great deal of intelligence in the writing or charm from the actors that I could observe. (My flatmates watched it and the pc is near the tv so I have seen most of the series).

You could argue that I'm slightly outside the target audience (i'm 33) but so far as I can tell not that many people got too excited about this show. Nobody I know that's for sure.
Old 01-12-02, 06:14 AM

secret life of us

It looks like the first DVD is only US$14, so I'm going to give this one a try -- you never know. I've heard from a lot of British friends that THIS LIFE was a great series -- very real and down to earth, and a definite "lifestyle" kind of show. Now I just have to wait for my region-free DVD player to come in the mail..... !
Old 01-12-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Westvilliage31, how are you guys handling zone free in the US? Here in Norway you can have your machine modified "unofficially" of course, though I think it is Sony that is trying to crack down on this.

In the US, are you sending your machine out to be "fixed" :-) or are you buying something already zone free?

Jim
Old 01-12-02, 12:20 PM

The Secret Life of Us

Some good points: the show is extremely well made, well written, and have some great performances. It got some amazing reviews and ratings when it was aired in Australia and the UK during the later part of 2001.

Another good thing. These DVDs are coded for Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. So as long as you have a PAL compatible TV or conversion player you can play them.

The show, I think, is more about relationships than Sex. Though it is true that on certain points it is quite frank about sex, I don't think it's a main feature like Sex and the City.

The show is mainly a dramatic show, I suppose the downside could be that while the humour is there, it is darker than the usual sunny Australian productions.

Each episode is one-hour in duration.

I am quite surprised it is already available on DVD, actually. And the transfer was very good too.

Just a brief bit on the DVDs. There are twenty two episodes to the first series, and each disc has three episodes (on a DVD-9, I think), except for the last disc, which has four episodes. There are seven discs in all.

Most of the discs have bonus features like interviews with the actors and some music video.

The 'telemovie', introducing the series, is on the first DVD as the first two episodes.

A great place to buy R4 internationally could be:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/

Enjoy the show! You may find that you like it a lot, especially if you liked This Life.

Last edited by lwdog; 01-12-02 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-12-02, 05:58 PM

THIS LIFE/Region-free players

I just ordered an Apex 3201 from Amazon.com and found the hack code for it on another forum online. So when it comes in, I'll set it to ignore the region coding, and then I can order all kinds of cool TV stuff from around the world! For $120, you can't really go wrong.
Old 01-13-02, 12:54 AM

The show is excellent but hasn't gotten too much traction in the US either because of the subject matter or because BBC wants to keep it for BBC America. I have the R2 set of series one; it's interesting to notice the very small cuts that were made in the broadcasts over here. (They are small, but usually something you immediately notice.)

I doubt we'll see this title issued in Region 1, although I was surprised to see "Bravo Two Zero" recently released. Does anyone know when Series Two is going to be released in R2?
Old 01-14-02, 11:03 AM

Ezydvd does not list The Secret Life Of Us.
Old 01-14-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Robbert
Ezydvd does not list The Secret Life Of Us.
try this link
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/219520/id=SJFNr:MqgVM
Old 01-17-02, 09:23 AM

EzyDVD has a pretty bad (inflexible) search engine.

It has the series under the name "Secret Life of Us", and if you search for "The Secret Life of Us", it will return nothing...

If you search "Secret Life of Us", all seven volumes (comprising the First Season) will be displayed.
Old 01-17-02, 01:46 PM

Thanks guyz.
Old 02-11-02, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by lwdog
While you guys are at it, there is a new similarly excellent Australian TV drama, slightly less cynical than 'This Life' as a R4 release, called 'The Secret Life of Us'.
I just finished watching "This Life" -- what a great show!! The first two episodes were a little uneventful, and I was wondering what the hype was about (see the reviews on amazon.co.uk to see what hype looks like), but by the 3rd ep I was HOOKED. It's very well-written, and you get completely drawn into the lives of these housemates. I loved that each person was complete -- you alternately liked/disliked each person.

So I just started my first 3 eps of the Aussie show "The Secret Life of Us" and it's even BETTER! It's true that it's less cynical than THIS LIFE, and it's even more addictive. I plan on ordering the rest of the series soon. Thanks for the recommendation iwdog!
Old 02-11-02, 05:15 PM

Glad you liked 'The Secret Life of Us' too.

You'll be happy to know that all the best episodes are yet to come (including some major character developments in the middle of the season).
Old 04-02-02, 06:18 AM

Those that are interested in previewing "This Life" before purchasing the DVDs should note that BBC America will be broadcasting the series Monday-Friday at 1:00 p.m. Eastern, beginning Tuesday, April 2, 2002.