Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Amazon Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amazon Japan?

Anyone tried Amazon.co.jp ? Any coupons? Any issues with them?

I'm thinking of ordering Porco Rosso through them.
Old 12-24-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've done a lot of ordering from them in Japan and have had no problems.
Doesn't help you on the international side but I've had more problems with Amazon.com.
Old 12-24-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a US resident, I've ordered from them a few times and found them to be excellent, on par with such good retailers as cdjapn...
Old 12-25-01, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you guys order with them? I tried once and could not log in with my usual password and name.
Old 12-26-01, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have to create a new account - your existing ID won’t work. Also it is pretty much essential to pass the site through an on-line translator such as www.altavista.com. Be warned though that it’s almost impossible to effectively use the search function: Be prepared to flick through lots of pages to get to what you want.

However they are excellent and very efficient and cheaper than CDJapan, especially their shipping costs.
Old 12-26-01, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As he said. You need a new account with Amazon Japan. They are a different animal than Amazon.com. They do not accept regular Amazon coupons and rarely have any of their own. When they do it's usually for just a couple of hundred yen(a few dollars).

However, they have the same problems keeping track of their inventory as Amazon in the US. They sometimes list items as "out of print" when they are not. Sometimes an item will slip out their inventory and your order will be held up while they wait for a restock.

If you don't have the capability to deal with Japanese, it helps a great deal if you can dig up the ISBN of the item you want. Then you can use that for your search and go straight to the item. Customer service is harder to get because of the language barrier. If you can whip off an email to them in Japanese, it helps a lot if you have any problems.

That said, if you can find your items and they are in-stock and ready to go, they are pretty good, especially in terms of shipping costs for smaller DVD/music orders and they are great for books.

Last edited by nekobus; 12-26-01 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-26-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info!

If anyone DOES know of an Amazon Japan coupon code, please post it.... even 200 yen or so helps!
Old 12-26-01, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I'll try it out soon.
Old 12-26-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
Thanks for the info!

If anyone DOES know of an Amazon Japan coupon code, please post it.... even 200 yen or so helps!
IIRC, there currently are none. They had a couple of small ones when they first started up, but that's been about it. Retailing is a different animal in Japan, so you will not find coupon-o-rama like there is here.

Bear in mind that using a coupon, even a small one(200yen=1.52) complicates your order, just like it does with Amazon.com. Yes, every little bit helps, but it also increases the chance of something going wrong. Then you will have to try and deal with their CS.
Old 12-27-01, 04:28 AM
Cool New Member

Also, please note that Amazon Japan allows you to make changes on your order after it is placed. CD Japan and HMV Japan won't accept the modification to the order, so it's sometimes troublesome because of it. For this reason, I primary use Amazon Japan rather than the other two.
Old 12-27-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by silenzio
Also, please note that Amazon Japan allows you to make changes on your order after it is placed. CD Japan and HMV Japan won't accept the modification to the order, so it's sometimes troublesome because of it. For this reason, I primary use Amazon Japan rather than the other two.
This is also one of the reasons that I use www.amotokyo.com. They are a small outfit and are willing to make order changes, hunt down hard to find discs and do other things that some of the other outfits won't do.
Old 12-29-01, 10:17 AM

which films are exclusive to the JAP region?

i mean-- wic DVDs contain any extras that are not found in R[1/2/4]???

what would u guys recommend????