Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Celebration aka "DOGME#1 Festen"

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"DOGME#1 Festen" aka "THE CELEBRATION"
Directed by Thomas Vinterberg

i saw a region 0, ntsc dvd on ebay, kind of suspicious about this, but is there a legit release of this movie on dvd any where, with english subs? or is the hong kong dvd the best we have for now?
does any one have the hong kong one or have seen it, is it worth picking up?? i'm talking dvd quality wise here, i already love the movie.

thanks
pants
Old 12-13-01, 11:28 PM

the taiwan version is the only DVD available with english subs. the transfer is crappy and it's full screen. i checked amazon and apparently they're going to release an R1 north american DVD..

julian
Old 12-14-01, 11:19 AM

The Region 0 release is legitimate. Vinterberg shot Festen full-frame in accordance with one of Dogme's tenets, there's no reason for the DVD to be anything other than full-frame. That is its correct aspect ratio.

The transfer is actually pretty good; keep in mind that if it sometimes looks crappy it's because this was filmed on digital video, not film -- the occasional softness and grain (actually pixels that become prominent when digital video is underexposed, which is apt to happen when one of the other tenets of Dogme is the use of only existing light) are present in the original print.

The Region 1 edition that's mentioned on Amazon was cancelled over a year ago, and there are absolutely no plans for it anytime soon. So that leaves the Asian R0 edition as the only DVD version of this movie with English subs and, as I've mentioned, the transfer actually isn't too bad, so don't hesitate to pick up a copy.
Old 12-14-01, 06:40 PM

where to buy besides ebay?

where to buy besides ebay?
any thoughts?

pants
Old 12-17-01, 11:32 PM

Donald, I just won a copy from ebay and I'm very stoked, as this was one of my favorite films from 1998.

But, I'm curious, is the packaging cool? Does it come in a regular amaray case, etc?

sightandsound
Old 12-18-01, 10:15 AM

The packaging is plain but adequate: the case is an Amaray-styled one; there is no insert; the graphic layout on the cover is fine, with info in Chinese and English.

no pants, I'm not sure where you might find one other than eBay. Places like Poker Industries or HK Flix don't carry it for some reason.
Old 02-14-02, 06:04 PM

how are the english subs on this? compared to the us vhs version? same translation or different?

thanks

pants
Old 02-14-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
This probably isn't what you're looking for, but the price isn't bad: http://www.coolashop.com/webapp/comm...rn=7246&lang=1

that is to say, it's a VCD.

Tuan Jim