Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What International title(s) did you watch this past weekend?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing that we have members from around the globe, I didn't want to exclude anyone by saying 'what did you watch over the holiday?'.

So, I'll start:
Since I had a long weekend, I was able to squeeze in 4 movies. (I know this is like 1 day's worth for some of you, but to me it was a lot of movies for 4 days. )

A Man Called Hero
City on Fire
Option Zero
Bichunmoo

Bichunmoo, wow! I can't believe that I've had this movie since Sept. and just now watched it. Excellent movie! (but of course, the rest of you already know this seeing as you've viewed it already.)

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 11-26-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched:

Gen-X-Cops - (It wasn't a total waste, just don't think I'll ever watch it again)

Legend of Zu - (one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen)

The Blacksheep Affair (HKL) - (found nothing interesting about this title at all)

Jakarta ??? - (It was OK, another one that was fun to see once)

Brother (Hade already seen it, but watched it 2 more times with friends. I just love gangster movies, and this one really does it for me.)

Next in line are Fulltime Killer & Violent Cop.

EDIT: Also saw Purple Storm - (I liked this film, don't know how much replay it will get, but it is a keeper for me.)

Last edited by roseart; 11-26-01 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What International title(s) did you watch this past weekend?

Originally posted by gabegarwick
Option Zero
Bichunmoo

Bichunmoo, wow! I can't believe that I've had this movie since Sept. and just now watched it. Excellent movie! (but of course, the rest of you already know this seeing as you've viewed it already.)
I would have to agree w/ Bichunmoo, I really enjoyed this title.

Could you tell me a little about Option Zero, or maybe give a review?

Last edited by roseart; 11-26-01 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by roseart
I watched:

Gen-X-Cops -

Next in line are Fulltime Killer & Violent Cop.
Hmm, I kinda liked Gen-X-Cops, had a fresh,young feel to it IMO.
I liked Fulltime Killer quite a bit, but Violent Cop easily tops it IMO again.
(Of course, that's not really fair, they are two very different movies.)
I felt Purple Storm was a fairly solid film. Definitely in the top half of my collection.

I'll write up something on Option Zero: G4 in a bit after I get home...

cheers,
Gabe
Old 11-26-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick

I'll write up something on Option Zero: G4 in a bit after I get home..
I was wondering if you needed to watch the first 2 films of the series to get OZ??? Thanks
Old 11-26-01, 03:22 PM
Cool New Member

we watched 'Amelie' (theatre) and 'Delicatessen' (LD). The older one was quite excellent, but the newer one just alot fresher (go fig)

as for dvd, 'Poppoya Railroad Man' and 'Kanzo Sensei', both very emotional Japanese dramas.

oh, also 'Night on Galactic Railroad', very nice work by Miyazawa Kenji, but last year, we enjoyed 'Spring and Chaos' a good deal more. what is it about cats and trains??!? heheh...

yeah, I've had bichunmoo for a long time now (step 1: buy cut/edited release. step 2: never watch. step 3: buy uncut release. step 4: never watch) ...sounds like we should watch it, eh? maybe?
Old 11-26-01, 03:43 PM

A Better Tomorrow (HK)
Happy Together (HK)
Deep Red (Italy)
303 Fear Faith Revenge (Thailand)
Old 11-26-01, 07:10 PM

Come and See.....that film drove me to finish off a bottle of vodka with the friend I watched it with!Jesus that film packs a punch...you could have slapped me around and called me Susan.

And Abres Los Ohos(Open Your Eyes)...just been remade as Vanilla Sky...(who's frightened?).....Awesome film...really original ideas ....and Penelope Cruz's jubblies....a masterpiece!
Old 11-26-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...this was my 'All-Spanish' weekend...

- La Comunidad (Alex de la Iglesia)

- Flores de otro mundo (Iciar Bollain)

- Calle 54 (Fernando Trueba)

- La Niña de tus ojos (Fernando Trueba)

- Muertos de risa (Alex de la Iglesia)

. . . . . .
Old 11-26-01, 08:55 PM

I stayed up late last night to watch Memento Mori. I should have gotten the sleep I needed instead.
Old 11-26-01, 08:57 PM

baraka
license to live - kiyoshi kurosawa
sweet home - kiyoshi kurosawa
sonatine - takeshi kitano
el topo - alexandro jodorowski
Old 11-26-01, 10:41 PM

Full Throttle, Shaolin Soccer, Victim, Spacked Out and Fight Back to School. Got to go to work so can't comment on them. If anybody wants a comment let me know.

Clint
Old 11-27-01, 03:26 AM

The Man Who Cried (R2)
Old 11-27-01, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ju|ian
sonatine - takeshi kitano
What were your thought's on Sonatine???
Old 11-27-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
Victim, Spacked Out . anybody wants a comment let me know.
I wouldn't mind your views on these 2 films.... Thanks
Old 11-27-01, 09:45 AM

We watched Martial Angels. Our review on it is 3 letters and a symbol: "WTF?"

Beeeil
Old 11-27-01, 09:54 AM
Cool New Member

well I can definitely say that 'Victim' is quite good. very spooky and chilling atmosphere throughout. and even if the ending is obvious to you beforehand (which it probably will be) or even afterwards...it's still worth watching again and again as you pick up new and interesting small clues every time.
Old 11-27-01, 09:36 PM

Hey there roseart. I commented on these two films in previous threads but I will copy paste my post on Victim here so you don't have to go looking.

I also just finished watching Victim. Wow what an awesome movie. Ringo Lam's direction is great. Lau Ching Wan gave a bravura performace. Of his movies which I have seen , I think his performance in Victim might be my favorite. Tony Leung Ka Fai also turned in a great performance. Don't go into this movie expecting a action packed film. It is a suspense thriller. The story was very interesting with lots of twists and turns. The movie never bored me. The dvd was pretty good for a Mei Ah dvd as well. Really no complaints about this one.

Spacked Out was a good movie. Basically a film that almost felt like a documentary because of the subject matter and the use of untrained actors. It was a slow moving piece so it may not be to everyone's tastes but I enjoyed it. To me it was more honest than most teen movies here in the US. The acting from the four girls that were the main characters were really good especially from people that had no real training. The more you watch it , the more you will get involved in these young girls lives and wonder what will happen to them. The direction was really interesting in several parts too. The DVD was your basic Mei Ah. The subs were timed incredibly fast and for some reason some parts were not subtitled. It was just mainly background chatter that was not subtitled so you will be able to follow the story. That's really the only fault the dvd had.

Hope that helped ya roseart. Anything else you want to know holler.

Clint
Old 11-27-01, 11:02 PM

We watched Bichunmoo over the weekend... a good film although I found that the melodramatic moments tended to go a little over the top - think Romeo and Juliet to the power of eight (and I mean Shakespeare, not Lurhman).

Also, the stoyline did become a little too easy to predict.

Another DVD I recently picked up and am really looking forward to getting the time to watch is Eric Valli's Himalaya.

regards, Tim...
Old 11-28-01, 01:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by hardtack
Another DVD I recently picked up and am really looking forward to getting the time to watch is Eric Valli's Himalaya.

regards, Tim...
oooh, we saw that in theatre earlier this year. what beautiful cinematography! some friends of ours thought it progressed too slowly, but I think the pace perfectly fits the sort of story being told.

had no idea it would be out on disc so soon, nice!

enjoy, thou lucky stiff...
Old 11-28-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by hardtack
We watched Bichunmoo over the weekend... a good film although I found that the melodramatic moments tended to go a little over the top - think Romeo and Juliet to the power of eight (and I mean Shakespeare, not Lurhman).
Korean cinema tends to be described as "style over substance" - such is the case with most of the Korean films I've seen. Bichunmoo has been accused of this as well. It was the most expensive film ever made in Korea and it shows. It's just a dazzling film to watch, but as far as story goes, there might not be enough there for everyone. I liked it alot, but like many others I felt that it was lacking a little in the plot department. Shiri is the same way. I mean - the plot is complete and it goes from point A to point B and then to point C, but in the end all you really care about is how cool the gunfights were. They are really disciplined filmmakers over there... I haven't seen everything they have to offer, only about a dozen films or so, but the Koreans are consistant in making solid films.
Old 11-28-01, 12:57 PM

Esprit D'amour (1983) - not an Alan Tam fan, but

Ginger Snaps (Canadian - that's international considering all the HK stars from there)

Her Fatal Ways (60 minutes worth.....mailed defective disc to DDD yesterday)

Shinobi No Mono - Believe it's the first in a series. Tried this one out and my next HK order will include another from the group.

Last Hurrah for Chivalry - great sword fighting

Enter the Eagles - action all the way through and Shannon Lee was the sticky that held this movie together....at least for me. Normally enjoy watching Jordan Chan and Anita Yuen, but their characters never took hold. The European actors stunk....maybe they need to import some from Canada).

Bayside Shakedown - Had a made for TV look....makes sense since it's a TV series. I could see myself tuning in every week if it was available where I live. Only problem I had was in the transporting of an injured cop. Geez, don't they have ambulances in Japan? Maybe a flight for life copter would be more appropriate than the back seat of a mini cop car.

Bad news: a cold front moved in. Good news: More viewing time.

Would guess from all the favorable comments about Bichunmoo that I am nearly alone in saying I wasn't enthralled with the movie. Considered it the Ishtar of action movies.
Old 11-28-01, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by roseart

What were your thought's on Sonatine???

i love Sonatine.. it was my second time watching it (i got the french dvd). sublime. stylish. pure Kitano.

julian