Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wasabi- New "Luc Besson Presents" film with Jean Reno

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Wasabi- New "Luc Besson Presents" film with Jean Reno

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by raithen
Totemo kawaii desu ne!

-matt
Naka naka kawaii ja nee ka...shikashi Mochida Kaori yori kawaikunee to omou kedo.
Old 11-02-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just like to speak Japanese when I get the chance.

So in English: "She's pretty cute, but she's no Kaori Mochida."

Kaori Mochida is the singer for Every Little Thing.
Old 11-04-02, 07:20 AM

if anyone cares ..... the French DVD DOES carry subtitles in French for the Hard of Hearing so if you're not fluent in French it will help you big time. It's a nice presentation too.
Old 11-04-02, 08:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This movie got a lot of bad reviews. It looks fun, but it apparently isn't. It'll be on DVD in the U.S. early 2003, so I'll wait and rent it.
Old 11-04-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

how do you know that.....if this is true I WILL most definitely be buying it......

CAN YOU CONFIRM YOUR INFO....????PLEASE!!!!
Old 11-04-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Wasabi. I like Jean Reno. It's cheap R3. Go buy it. It's not anamorphic, but for those who don't need it, the transfer is very nice.
Old 11-04-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

° the Chicago Tribune review (2 out of 4 stars)

° the Chicago Sun-Times review (1,5 out of 4 stars)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-04-02 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-04-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shame on you Hendrik!

Obviously, this is a malevolent plot by you to only focus in on what people in Chicago think about a French/Japanese Movie!

http://us.imdb.com/TUrls?COM+0281364
Old 11-05-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw it, and it is pretty bad. Might be a good buy for people that have J-Fever and think anything japanese is good.. (even though the movie is in french).. Reno has a few funny moments but not enough to carry the film. The action scenes are pertty weak as well. It was a good one-time watch if you're a Besson/Reno fan.. but I don't think I'd ever be inclined to give it a second viewing.
Old 11-05-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by axolotls return
Shame on you Hendrik!

Obviously, this is a malevolent plot by you to only focus in on what people in Chicago think about a French/Japanese Movie!
...alrighty!... here's a Walloon (French-language Belgian) review that,
on a scale going from minus three to plus four gives this movie a resounding minus one...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-05-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-05-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

pixyboi....by the same token we should all be the same and conclude that the movie is average???!!

I for one thing sometimes like to see something I dont have to think too much about.....dont want to get too involved with the plot...simply go with the flow.....(I am not trying to be original here or mean to you...that's how I feel)....

By the way, your statement is exaclty the kind of mentality that most of the US companies(ALL?) have towards international releases....."O, yeah.....I dont think that this movies has too much cinematic merit....why buy it and release it then"?....THAT'S HOW WE MISS ON QUITE A FEW "NON-STANDARD" non-us movies.....AND WE END UP GETTING all kinds of "glitters".

I am sure my analogy will sound very strange to you but...this sort of thinking is more than wrong for the movie lover. Remember we are all different!!

ps
Now I hope that I did not sound like a down-south, bible-belt, conservative.......I AM JUST TO DAMN FRUSTRATED BY THE FACT THAT HALF OF THE STUFF THAT GETS TO BE RELEASE FROM OUVERSEAS IS EITHER CHOPPED off.....or simply never reaches the States!!
Old 11-06-02, 03:49 PM

pro-bassoonist, the film is in theaters now from Columbia Tri-Star. Standard release platform is 4 to 6 months wait for DVD. So there ya go.
Old 11-06-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

not around here....this is the first time i hear there;s a theatrical release!!!
Old 11-06-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
The French can make bad movies too. This is one of them.
Old 11-06-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's still playing here. Maybe three months altogether. Funny, how people who are not into movies, talk about it or actually have seen it.
Old 11-07-02, 10:00 AM

It's in a few cities and will tour around for a few months. It's not getting as large a release as CRIMSON RIVERS, which was, as you all know, a damn good film that received very good reviews.

And it's clear fromthe majority of reviews that this film is not very good, so it's a miracle that it is being released in theaters at all. Ithink it comes down to two things: #1. The well deserved respect high end film goers have for Jean Reno and #2. Luc Besson's name recognition.
Old 11-09-02, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pro-bassoonist,
nothing you said makes sense. this movie is bad, whether it be french, japanese, indonesian.. it's just not a good movie.

if you want a movie you don't have to think about, there are a billion choices better than this. there isn't even enough action in this movie to consider it something you could watch and not think about. it's boring. the plot is hacked. the 2 action scenes in the movie are boring. matt stevens is right, the ONLY thing this movie has going for it are jean reno and luc besson's names. and neither of them remotely live up to fans of either. other than those 2 aspects (which, again, i will state, anybody going to see another reno.besson team up will be saddened).. the only thing i can see people enjoying this movie is because it has some japanese chick in it who probably did some anime voice or is in some j-pop band, and obviously, everything else she's invovled in is good. liek i said before, j-fever, not a pretty thing.

the plot is not interesting. the characters are not interesting. if this was a "popcorn" movie, there would've at least be a little more to offer in the action, but there's not. there's maybe 2.5 action scenes, and none of them are interesthing. the scene in the mall is so laughably bad it hurts. and to makes it worse, they throw an OLD prodigy song over the scene to make it look "HIP EXCITING AND MTV LIKE" and it is way out of place.

you compare my opinions to those of "major us studios".. riiight. obviously i am trashing this movie just because it's foregin..

whatever. this movie is bad.

but i'm just an american slob who obviously doesn't understand that the french invented movies and acting and everything they make is gold. so feel free to ignore me, and just take a look at the real movie critics opinions..

oh wait.. they all said it was bad too..
Old 11-09-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....I never said in my statement that you're slob...if you did get that feeling I apologize.....

However....many on this forum did get the movie.....and seem to enjoy it.....

ps
I dont really want to argue about the rest in your post at this point...esp. the foreign movies issue...I am actually the one guy that thinks that about 85% of the foreign market is pretty bad....we get only the good stuff(not all of it) and then assume that all is good oversaes.
Old 11-09-02, 12:25 PM

J-fever? God that's a pretty ignorant comment. By that line of thinking, I suppose most Americans would have H-Fever or W-Fever as we seem to watch hundreds of bad hollywood films just because we think hollywood makes the best films as their lovely lilly white thespians are the best around and can do no wrong...
Old 11-09-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hahaha, J-fever is kind of a funny-sounding term. But yeah, very, very obnoxious.

And Wasabi is just like his Taxi series. Good for a few chuckles, very low-intensity action, and seeing other directors direct just like Besson.