Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Review] Para Para Sakura (& Master Q 2001)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-25-01, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Para Para Sakura

Odd little film. It has Cecilia in it - must be a Cecilia marathon for me cuz I watched Polaris before this and after this I started watching Master Q. I like her raspy voice when she gets excited and talks loud. Anyway - on to the film...

It's not really about a dance - it's a little romance flick. Aaron Kwok plays a guy who teaches dance aerobics and is colorblind. He meets this rich girl played by Cecilia and falls for her. They meet a few times in akward circumstances and then they spend a few days together and fall in love. Oh - another piece of important backstory is that Aaron Kwok's character has been cursed by one of his father's girlfriends who cursed them both by saying if they ever said "I love you" to a woman, they would go away. So Aaron is a little shy about those three little words when it comes to Cecilia. Anyway - mixed in now and then is a little choreographed dance bit - kinda like how older Michael Jackson videos used to be all this movie and then a dance number and then more movie... Well you'll start hearing pounding like Stomp and then they'll do the dance/singing thing. I don't know, there's not really enough of it to call it a musical and there's too much of it to ignore. I don't think they balanced this very well. It's kinda cute though. The plot is pretty simple and pretty much predictable, but it's still cute. It's also pretty dumb, but ignoring that - it's a fairly pleasant experience.

The acting is ok - Cecilia is charming as always and she even makes a funny reference to her role in Polaris. Aaron Kwok is kinda fruity in this, but he's tolerable. The DVD is good. The production values are fine. It's just a cutesy little film. There are certainly better films out there - but this one has the dancing distinction going for it. So I guess if you're into music and dancing and you like cutesy little romantic comedies - then I'd get it. It's not horrible. I have to give this two scores... 7.5/10 for what it is - a cutesy little rom/com. 5/10 as a movie - it just isn't for everyone. My overall feeling on it would be somewhere in the 6.5 range.

Master Q 2001

I'm sorry - I can't sit through this piece of garbage. I don't know how far into it I am, but it's boring and stupid. It's their version of that Bullwinkle movie that we did here in the US. I hated that one just as much, but I used to love the cartoon when I was a kid. I think the history of the Master Q comics probably dates back a little farther than Rocky and Bullwinkle, but even so - I didn't grow up with it and even if I had I don't think I would get much out of this. It's for children who grew up with those characters... I don't see anything here for intelligent adults. The live characters are incredibly stupid and the CGI characters are even worse. Lots of 3rd grade bathroom humor and some of the subtitles will display "!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!" for something and then will allow words like "shit" to be displayed so I have no idea what they are masking with the !@!@, but it doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's something they used to do in the Comic Books?

As for the CGI - it's on par with the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. Some of the live actors missed their marks (or was it the CG renderers missing theirs?) and there were a few spots where something just didn't look quite right, but it seemed to be ok for the most part.

Anyway - I'd suggest passing on this one, but maybe there's an audience for it. If you liked the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie - perhaps you'll like this. Or if you grew up on heavy doses of the Master Q cartoons and whatnot - maybe this will agree with you, but if that's the case - I imagine you would've already seen it.

It's unfair of me to give it an actual score cuz I haven't sat through the whole thing, but I won't be doing that - so just assume the worst for this one as far as my opinion of it goes.
Old 11-25-01, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was rather enjoyable, but then again, I like everything Cecilia Cheung does. She could make a movie where she reads the phone book aloud and I would get it.
Old 11-25-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
I thought it was rather enjoyable, but then again, I like everything Cecilia Cheung does. She could make a movie where she reads the phone book aloud and I would get it.
HAHA...

That struck me as really funny... don't know why.

Anyway - which film were you talking about? Master Q or Para Para?

Basically - I thought Para Para was enjoyable, but I didn't think it achieved what it could've been and possibly what it set out to be.
Old 11-25-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking about Para Para Sakura. I haven't seen Master Q, but I heard it was animated, and based on a long comic series which I have no knopwledge of, so I think I'll pass.

So far of Cecilia's I have: King of Comedy, Fly Me to Polaris, Help, 12 Nights, Tokyo Raiders (though she just has a cameo), Wu Yen and maybe more but I forget.