International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Star Trek TNG: Weirdest DVD Case Ever (Region 2)

Old 11-14-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Trek TNG: Wierdest DVD Case Ever

I really hope the region 1 case doesn't look like this:

http://www.cinemabilia.de/detail/katnr/245988/picxl

Last edited by Maliboo; 11-19-01 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-14-01, 01:00 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Neato
Old 11-14-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please make it so:

Old 11-14-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So from the pic it would seem that each season is in a mini-cd holder, type case (possibly metal or hard plastic). Not bad.
Old 11-14-01, 01:24 PM

I like it!

If it were only one or two of these that would make up a collection, I’d have a problem “fitting” this is with my current shelving system, but since I’d be buying all seven of these and presumably the other series, they could be stored/displayed elsewhere away from my current DVDs.

Although I like the idea of metal, I think it would be more cost-effective to do this in plastic. It would also make it lighter and probably less likely to scratch up both the case and the wooden shelves I would put these on.

As long as the price is good….
Old 11-14-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the record: 269.99 DM is worth about $121.60. Seems a bit steep for just one season. But Star Trek: TOS was overpriced so I guess it figures that Star Trek: TNG would be also.
Old 11-14-01, 01:53 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it a lot.

I hope we see it cheaper. Maybe this German site offers no discount. If that is MSRP (ish) then we could expect maybe a 25% discount on-line plus possible coupon which would certainly bring it under $100.

I would love it if we can get it down to a Sopranos level of about 75, at least.

Very very cool case......
Old 11-14-01, 01:57 PM

Kinda reminds me of the T2 Ultimate Edition Case.
Old 11-14-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not too sound like too much of Trekkie or anything, but I don't think that is going to be the real case, unless Paramount isn't paying attention to details at all. That particular logo on the case was never used on ST:TNG and was used only in the movies, Voyager, and later seasons of DS9.
Old 11-14-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lizard
For the record: 269.99 DM is worth about $121.60. Seems a bit steep for just one season. But Star Trek: TOS was overpriced so I guess it figures that Star Trek: TNG would be also.
Well, if that is MSRP, than I don't see $125 as being too steep or out of whack with other shows. X-Files is $150 MSRP per season and The Sopranos is $100 for 13 episodes. $125 actually seems like a pretty decent deal (again, if we're talking full retail price).

But, I believe that Paramount was strongly hinting during their recently online survey that the season sets were going to be $99.99, so there's definitely hope that we'll see them pretty cheap.

Not sure what I think about those cases... I think I'd prefer a more standard "box"... maybe one that has a picture of 1 crew member on the side (one for each season) and forms a picture of the crew w/the Enterprise when you line all seven boxes up together.
Old 11-14-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that comm badge was used on TNG. There were some future episodes where the crew had those badges on.
Old 11-14-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, the comm badge on the display case was never seen in any episode of TNG. It was designed for Star Trek Generations, but was first seen in the 3rd season premiere of DS9. There was a comm badge that was used for alternate future episodes that looked very similar at a quick glance, but it wasn't the same.
Old 11-14-01, 05:13 PM

I'm not a Star Trek fan but if I were I'd grab that sucker in a jippy! Looks sweet!
Old 11-14-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't care if they were in a jewel case (ok, so I'm lying). I'm just glad I'll have these on dvd finaly.
Old 11-14-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is gonna be great!

whats the rls date for the region 1 eps?

i am so buying this
Old 11-14-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that is very clever packaging...too bad I'm not a Star Trek fan.
Old 11-14-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is freaking cool...
Old 11-14-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks good but I like the idea of it making a picture like the original VHS (I know the great evil) movies did.
Old 11-15-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, strange. I think I'm indifferent to it though. I'd rather if have a normal case, but I do like the new idea... but.. it looks like tupperware... There's no title on the side either, 10 points off right there.

And as said before, that combage was NEVER used on TNG. It first appeared in DS9's 'The Search' DS9's thrid season opener. TNG had ended the previous season. The combage did show up in the next TNG film though... as it was kind of designed for the new film (which started production as soon as TNG ended).
Old 11-15-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i really like that design. i "think" that i am anxiously awaiting this to be released. i really really enjoyed TNG but i am still trying to decide if i want to purchase entire seasons.
Old 11-15-01, 10:33 AM

Looking at the price, I can only say please paramount, it must be a DTS or 51. DD mix, Twin Peaks got DTS, IF next generation was in DTS, then that would be so tempting to get......
Case looks cool, but its the DVD sound and picture, extras that matter yes))
Old 11-15-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SeanValen
Looking at the price, I can only say please paramount, it must be a DTS or 51. DD mix, Twin Peaks got DTS, IF next generation was in DTS, then that would be so tempting to get......
Case looks cool, but its the DVD sound and picture, extras that matter yes))
I think we're going to get a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix at least. The remixed the original series for 5.1, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with TNG -- especially since they have better source to work with.
Old 11-15-01, 12:52 PM

bboisvert
DVD Talk Mentor

I think we're going to get a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix at least. The remixed the original series for 5.1, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with TNG -- especially since they have better source to work with.

Yes!!!!!Make it so.

I wonder though, Next Gen and Orignal a much older show, why X files, Buffy, Angel no 5.1 or DTS sound? Some people prefer hearing sound like it was done, other people want to see and hear a new experience, having seen every episode of Next Gen, a new experience in sound especially would be very cool.
Old 11-15-01, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
There’s no title on the side either, 10 points off right there.
Ah, but did you notice that each spine has a different shade of blue? I imagine they line up from light to dark (or vice versa). Once that’s done, it’s a snap to keep them in that order. From there, it’s not too hard to tell which season you want -- you only have to count to seven.

Plus if there are no words on the packaging, that keeps the cost down, and the outside packaging never has to be retooled for each region.

Cost is my only concern. $100 MSRP per season is fine with me. Any more than that and I’d have to pass on them.
Old 11-15-01, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still like my titles on the side...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.