Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

RCE, US DVD players and foreign DVDs

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-14-01, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of movies from Spanish-speaking countries never come out in the US and the only way to get them is to buy them in a Spanish-speaking country.

I'd like to be able to buy movies on DVD in the US, Latin America and Europe and play them in a DVD player in the US. I would prefer a Sony w/ S-link because that's what our other equipment is, though I might buy a different brand/model if that's the only solution. What I don't want is a player made for South America or Europe because I don't want to mess with adapters and convertors.

With videos, there was always the NTSC vs. PAL conflict.
I understand there's something similar w/ DVDs?

What is RCE? Is it just on DVDs for the US? Is there something that makes it difficult or impossible to play DVDs from South America/Europe in DVD players meant for the US?

How can I play DVDs bought for use in Argentina, Chile and Spain in a player bought for use in the US?

With so many bilingual people in the US and so many Americans whose work takes them abroad, it seems crazy to have regional formats.

A moderator adds: it looks as if you posted a similar article in two forums and that one of them was moved here. Your original post to this forum is now to be found in a pre-existing thread on the subject where is has received a reply: link

Last edited by benedict; 11-14-01 at 06:19 PM.