Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Audiovox DVD 1500 and regions it can play

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 07:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I need your help in determining a portable dvd's players region playing capabilities. I am interested in purchasing the Audiovox DVD 1500 model for someone in the UK. I am here in USA and bought product here. Does anyone know if this is a code-free player (can play DVDs from all regions) or that the region code can be changed? Some players allow you to do this a limited number of times, others are hard coded and can't be changed.
Any information on this would be most appreciated. Thanks so much.

Ricky
Old 11-14-01, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... you do know that the UK has PAL (not NTSC) TV?!...

The point being that 'code-free' in itself isn't enough, a player also has to be able to play PAL-encoded discs ... since you're buying the player in the USA, wouldn't you run the risk that it will only play (R1, R2/Japan, R0/Hong Kong) NTSC-encoded discs, but NOT (R2/UK/Europe or R4/Australia) PAL-encoded discs?

...just a thought...

. . . . . .
Old 11-16-01, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can change the region code on the player it shouldn't matter. I see a lot of U.K. posters that say their TV's can play discs in PAL or NTSC. My normal Panasonic A-110 can play region 0 PAL discs, but my TV can't covert the picture.
Old 11-16-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a code-free player
I posted the original thread about this model being on clearance at Target in the DVDBargin forum http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=156125. I have searched all over the net and have not found any references to it being code-free or hackable.

a player also has to be able to play PAL-encoded discs ...
Which this monitor could handle because this portable has an NTSC/PAL switch on the unit.

I see a lot of U.K. posters that say their TV's can play discs in PAL or NTSC.
I belive thats because a lot of the tv's produced over there are compatible with both formats. You can buy tv's here that will do both but they are few and far in between. The other option is if your DVD player (like my APEX) will convert PAL>NTSC for you before sending it to the tv.