Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel season one, explanation for no widescreen in regions, but good news season 2 WD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Angel season one, explanation for no widescreen in regions, but good news season 2 WD

Old 11-12-01, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the article is based in the uk, it's info is important to all regions:

Given the Ho-Ha over the release of "Angel" in full frame rather than widescreen we thought we should go to the top and ask the U.K product manager why this release isn't widescreen. The bottom line is that no widescreen masters exist for "Angel" Season 1. Clair (the product manager) says:

"It was picked up everywhere for TV in full frame, so when we came to do the VHS it was done in full frame and when L.A came to do the DVD they also did that in full frame."

So the bottom line is that as far as we can see there is no widescreen master available for the show. Note, I'm not saying that there are no widescreen material for the show only that there is no DLT master available at this time.

However Clair tells me given the amount of interest in the show work has started on Season 2 and that has been transferred widescreen. There are no current plans to re-release season 1 and Clair imagines that the U.S release, when it comes, will be full frame as they will be using the same DLT's (the digital master tapes) as us. However it's ratio is not confirmed at this time and we could have a long wait, perhaps 2 years.

However there is more good news for fans of "Buffy" and "Angel" , Clair tells us that "Buffy" Season 4 will be widescreen, expect a release to be around the 6th of May. As for "Angel" season 2, expect it around the end of March / beginning of April

Well Angel season 2 will be great in widescreen, plus Buffy in WD too.
Now I guess we could always ask for DTS tracks))))
Dolby 2.0 of Angel and Buffy is nothing compared to when Twin Peaks, a much older show, is getting DTS

But pleased for future widescreen releases, and well, I feel a little better now a explanation has been given to why Angel season one is not in WD, just they could of said it earlier!
Old 11-12-01, 08:17 PM

Re: Angel season one, explanation for no widescreen in regions, but good news season 2 WD

There are no current plans to re-release season 1 and Clair imagines that the U.S release, when it comes, will be full frame
Well that at least makes me feel more comfortable about ordering the R4 version of Angel Season 1.

However there is more good news for fans of "Buffy" and "Angel" , Clair tells us that "Buffy" Season 4 will be widescreen, expect a release to be around the 6th of May. As for "Angel" season 2, expect it around the end of March / beginning of April
Excellent!
Old 11-12-01, 08:36 PM

codefreeWell that at least makes me feel more comfortable about ordering the R4 version of Angel Season 1.

So Chad, what does the R4 version of Angel season 1 have?

Last edited by SeanValen; 11-12-01 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-12-01, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by SeanValen
So Chad, what does the R4 version of Angel season 1 have?
To the best of my knowledge, the R2 and R4 versions of Angel Season 1 are identical except that the R4 is a tad cheaper. I can't believe they're planning season 2 of Angel for only four months later - that's sweet!
Old 11-12-01, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds fine to me. Angel was made under the impression it would be shown 4:3 so I'm cool with it being released 4:3

I'm going to have to wait a while as I'd like to keep things all to one region...