Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tuntematon Sotilas (Finnish DVD)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-07-01, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was browsing at www.filmifriikki.fi and planning on ordering the new DVD of Talvisota (Winter War) when I noticed that they also have a new DVD for a 1955 film called Tuntematon Sotilas (Unknown Soldier). I'm inclined to order it sight unseen but was wondering if anyone has seen the film and could comment on it. And yes, I realize this is sort of an obscure inquiry.
Old 11-07-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...are you quite sure it's the 1955 version...

http://www.yle.fi/tv2/elokuvat/2b4a.htm

...rather than the 1985 remake?...

http://www.yle.fi/tv2/elokuvat/42fa.htm

. . . ? ? . . .
Old 11-07-01, 08:57 PM

It's the old one, I have it right here on the desk laying on top of Talvisota
Old 11-08-01, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As, Knut states it's the original version. So, any comments on the film itself?
Old 11-09-01, 03:10 AM

Tuntematon Sotilas / Unknown Soldier DVD is the original one. It is not that realistic war movie by todays standards, but it has its place in Finnish movie history. You should also read the book, written by Väinö Linna. Haven't seen DVD yet so I cannot comment it. See IMDB for more information about the movie itself.
Old 11-09-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Any other Finns here?

Anyway, Tuntematon sotilas is indeed a great war movie and perhaps the greatest Finnish film ever made (forget Leningrad Cowboys Go America ). Of course, I'm a Finn (albeit not a very patriotic one), so I can't say how the film will work for "international" audiences.

Rauni Mollberg's 1985 version is not as great as Edvin Laine's 1955 version, but it's still very good. It's less emotionally affecting but more realistic; it portrays war as the violent mess that it is: chaos and mayhem.
Old 11-09-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... the one version may be good, the other version may be great, but does either DVD have optional (French and/or German and/or English) subtitles... for us poor, interested, but unfortunately Finno-Ugric-languages-impaired klutzes?...

. . . . . .
Old 11-09-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hendrik: The 1955 version does have English subs. (Don't know about the 1985 version.) I just checked www.filmifriikki.fi (the site is in Finnish only) and found the following specs:

2 h 49 min
1.33:1
DD Mono in Finnish
Subtitles: Finnish, English, Swedish
R0 PAL

Extras mainly consist of news and radio footage from the era (i.e around 1945).
Old 11-09-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to watching the film.
Old 11-11-01, 11:56 AM

Also there is no text for the extras. However since the extras aren't that much to begin with it's no great loss.

I just finshed watching the DVD less than an hour ago and must say that the image quality is much better than what I was expecting considering the age of the material. There are a few scenes with a skyline background that suffers from quite a bit of grain but overall the quality is good.

Talvisota (a.k.a. The Winter War) also has english and Swedish subtitles. However I'm a bit confused as to what aspect ratio is used on the DVD. Looks a bit like 14:9 or something. Anybody know? Also anybody happen to know the OAR?
Old 11-11-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a widescreen VHS tape of Talvisota and it has very small black bars, less that 1.66:1 if I had to guess. Not sure what the OAR is as my only experience with the film is from that tape.
Old 11-12-01, 05:30 AM

Knut, the back cover really says 14:9. My DVD player thinks it is 4:3. There's narrow black bars at top and bottom on my 4:3 TV. After all 4:3 = 12:9 so 14:9 isn't much different. Some people have been disappointed with the picture quality, I haven't watched it yet.

---

You should also check out www.viihdekauppa.com, they usually have better prices than Filmifriikki do and they also ship abroad.