Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong 1941 - Megastar or Universe version?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-05-01, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to make my first order with DDDHouse, and noticed that there are two versions (Megastar and Universe) of both Hong Kong 1941 and City on Fire. Which one do I get? I did check Asiandvdguide.com, but there were no reviews for the Megastar versions. Both Megastar DVDs are almost double the price of the Universe versions. Is this because of their better quality?

I remember I read somewhere that Megastar DVDs have very high quality as far as HK disks go. However, AsianDVDguide.com reviews talk about very good transfers for both the Universe disks. So, which version do I get?

Finally, some Wong Kar-Wai disks have been re-released with anamorphic transfers. Is there any chance that more movies will be given anamorphic treatment?
Old 11-05-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Megastar tends to be more expensive than Universe, though I think the're usually better, but not always. One title I hear which is available by both companies where the Universe is better than the Megastar is "The Killer". Anyway, I have the Universe version of Hong Kong 1941, and I used to own the Megastar version. I thinkt he only difference is that the Universe version defaults to Cantonese (HK) while the Megastar version defaults to Mandarin (Taiwan). Also, I think the Megastar version is a bit shorter because it came from a PAL master.
Old 11-05-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WAIT!

Wait for the Hong Kong Legends Version of 1941 to be released 12/27/2001