Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL 2 dvds in USA - HELP

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

PAL 2 dvds in USA - HELP

Old 11-05-01, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAL 2 dvds in USA - HELP

Ok - now I REALLY need help.

I THOUGHT I understood the whole PAL vs NTSC thing. bottom line was that I needed a PAL to NTSC converter to see these movies on my USA NTSC TV. Hence why everyone is so excited about the Maltaya (?) region free player...(and no I can't afford one right now!!)

HOWEVER, I was about to purchase some VCDs and saw they were PAL format! Sent an e-mail to the retailer and she replied

"no problem. If your DVD player can play VCDs you can PAL and see them on your NTSC TV.. You will lose a few lines of resolution at the top and bottom though"

Is this all that happens when playing PAL discs on a NTSC TV? Is this just unique to VCDs?

I am thinking about all those great HKL Region 0 films I could be getting ..

is the few lines of lost resolution that bad? will it prevent me from seeing subtitles at the bottom?

HELP!!!! I am SOOOOO confused.....
Old 11-05-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on the player you're using. My Apex would play back PAL VCDs at their correct ratio w/o cropping. My Panasonic would lop off the bottom half inch or so of the picture. My friend's Sony would take a little off the top and bottom (and wasn't too noticable).

What player do you have?

Oh, and I just noticed your other question. You CANNOT play back PAL DVDs on 95% of the NTSC DVD players.

The reason that you can play back PAL VCDs on NTSC DVD players is that compatibility with PAL and NTSC was built into the VCD spec.

If you have a PC DVD-Rom drive, you can buy those region 0 Hong Kong Legends DVDs and watch them though, but they will not work in your stand-alone DVD player.

Last edited by Electric2k; 11-05-01 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-05-01, 02:14 PM

Panasonic!!

thanks for the info..

I have a panasonic A310.. claims it can play VCDs/

you said I would lose 1/2 inch on bottom...what size screen is that based on? I have a 32in.... 1/2 inch doesn't sound too bad.....

thanks again...
Old 11-05-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an A110, so it should be almost identical.

1/2 an inch is not very accurate. Probably 10% off the bottom is more accurate.

You'll lose some information off the bottom of the screen. It the disc is letterboxed, you're probably OK, because the vast majority of HK VCDs have subtitles on the print.

My copy of 'A Man Called Hero' that had subs in the black bars JUST worked. I could see everything OK (but that film is 2.35:1).

The only type of program you may have problems with are 4x3 material.