Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming R2 Withnail & I - better than the Criterion!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-03-01, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read from several web sites that Anchor Bay is releasing "Withnail & I" in the UK on 11/12. From what I've read, I understand the disc will be much better than the existing Criterion release. Here are the extra features (from www.play.com):
  • The splendid array of extra features on the disc are accesed via menus designed by Ralph Steadman and include a fantastic gallery of photographs by Steadman of Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann larking around ‘in character' in the grotty bathroom of the Camden house before shooting began.
  • A brilliant documentary, ‘Withnail and Us' (made in 1999) featuring writer/director Bruce Robinson talking about his debut feature, Bruce's former flatmates with whom he shared the Withnail lifestyle while writing the film, the casting director recounting the hilarious auditions for the film, and of course the stars including Ralph Brown without his ‘aerials' ("All hairdressers are in the employment of the government...") The ‘real Withnail' and the source of the name are discussed and fans of the film tell us exactly why it's their favourite film of all time. If you don't know already you'll discover the secret of Richard E. Grant's superb portrayal of the permanently drunk/stoned Withnail... and it's not what you would think!
  • Paul McGann and Ralph Brown recall the ups and downs shooting the film in a hilarious and insightful new commentary which has been recorded especially for the UK release.
I'm not sure whether the disc will have an anamorphic transfer, but it will have DD 5.1 sound. In addition to the all-new commentary track, the documentary will be 53 mins long - that's about half an hour longer than on the Criterion disc!

Since I don't own the Criterion, I'll certainly buy this version. For once, R2 does it better!

(This also raises the interesting question, will Anchor Bay release this disc in R1 as well? I don't think Criterion owns any of the extras, but maybe the transfer...?)

Here's the cover art:

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 11-03-01 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-03-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you get this, please post an update on the transfer. Would love to know if this is anamorphic.

I have been reading lots of posts about this movie lately, usually with a "worst film" reference. So im pretty sure I will like it based on the "best movies of all time" from the same posters. :-)

This one has slipped by me. Never heard of it before.

Jim
Old 11-04-01, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FaustBos
If you get this, please post an update on the transfer. Would love to know if this is anamorphic.
Nope.
Old 11-04-01, 03:23 PM

Josh Martin: what's your source? Is it the same transfer as on the Criterion disc?
Old 11-04-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Josh Martin: what's your source? Is it the same transfer as on the Criterion disc?
I recently blasted VCI for labeling a DVD 16:9 when it in fact was simply widescreen. I thought 16:9 was a designation for Anamorphic, as in enhanced for 16:9. I noticed that play.com had 16:9 listed as a spec, but i've become suspect of that designation.

Also, I have picked up a few items from the UK that were anamorphic but were not labeled as such.

Jim
Old 11-13-01, 08:52 AM

[bump] since the disc is now out.

If anybody has this, please post your comments.
Old 11-13-01, 05:35 PM

There's a review of the disc on the BBC website. Non-anamorphic
I'm afraid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/11/1...d_review.shtml
Old 11-13-01, 09:37 PM

Click here for a comparison review.
Old 11-14-01, 02:42 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely buy this disc soon.