Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm disappointed: what are YOUR experiences with Bensons World?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

I'm disappointed: what are YOUR experiences with Bensons World?

Old 11-02-01, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed with Bensons World

In anticipation of the eventual arrival of my Malata player from AVDeals, I ordered a few HKL discs from Bensons World. When they arrived, 2 of the discs were brand new & still in their plastic wrap.

However, the 3rd title (Drive):
1. Was unsealed.
2. The plastic Amaray case has dirty smudges and sticky residue on it!
3. The disc itself has scratches and fingerprints on the playing surface!!

It was obviously a USED copy, sold at full price & not even "spruced up" before shipping!

What's more, I sent an email to them, informing them of the above, and this is the response I received:

Thanks for your mail - everything we sell is brand new, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

The HKL titles are a problem, as they seem to be prone to come loose during postal transit. HKL also put in cards into the card - when our despatch staff do a shake test, they have to open titles that are rattling to see if it is the disc, or the card. If it is the disc, and it is scratched, then it is rejected - but this is where our handling comes in. But the problem is that if the disc is unscratched, HKL product is still more prone than other companies' product to come loose in the post.

We'll happily replace this DVD if you send it back to us, and we have repeatedly advised HKL (and others) of the problems we have found with their product boxes.
Although it is admirable that they open discs to re-post them, I do not believe that process should cause dirty smudges on the case and fingerprints on the playing surface of the disc itself. They obviously do not want to 'own up' to passing off a USED product as BRAND NEW.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem with them? Their prices are good, and most people seem to have a lot of praise for them in general. I would like to order from them again, but this experience is making me apprehensive.

Last edited by Skorp; 11-02-01 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-02-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...strange... I've been buying R2/UK DVDs from BW regularly for the past couple of years and can truthfully state that I've never had any problem such as you describe... I very much doubt, however, that they would willfully send a 'used' disc, since they're not in the business of selling second-hand stuff!

...strange indeed...

. . . . . .
Old 11-02-01, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's kind of kooky, so far out of about 20 discs from them I have had no problem yet. All of my dvds were sealed and brand new. I have had some loose discs though, but they are usally just a little scuffed up so no big deal.
Old 11-02-01, 12:37 PM

Only one experience with Bensonsworld

Also in anticipation of getting a Malata and making do with a Sampo for now,
I ordered 6 HKL discs last month. Of the 6, Iron Monkey was loose and scuffed.
I was worried because of what I'd read about HKL discs. Fortunately, it played
fine, no problems. One other, Magnificent Butcher was loose but less scuffed, I
haven't checked it yet.
They also sent me an e-mail before shipping to make sure I knew they were R2
discs, since it was my first order with them.
Old 11-02-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must say I've not been at all thrilled with Bensons...I ordered 'Girl on The Bridge' from them in Sept, a few days later they charged by CC...Well a month later, nothing...Politely emailed them (Their CS does seem excellent) and a reply was given that it is backordered and they are working with the distributor. (I've also noticed Blackstar and Amazon UK both have infrequent supply of this). Another month passed with nothing and I sent another email, but, now being November, I've heard nothing since....One, I'm not happy that my CC was charged before it was shipped, Secondly, I've not at all harangued and bullied them in any emails, consequently I've feel as though I've been a little meek and there should have been no reason not to respond to by second email and Third, it would be nice to hear something, christ, its been 2 1/2 months they should have given me the option to cancel or at least give me an update every now and then about its status....I'm not in a hurry for it, but right know that $30 would be real handy for college tuition...(Sigh)

Moral? Should have ordered from Blackstar.
Old 11-02-01, 02:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Skorp, I had a smilar issue with them, though they made good on it.

BLACKSTAR is more expensive, but in two years, I have never EVER had a single problem with them. So I am back to using them.
Old 11-06-01, 08:10 AM

Benson's

I have only ordered from them once, and that was this past July. I would/will order from them again when finances allow. I posted a positive bit of feedback in the Store Forum at that time. Since that post, I have watched all of the movies and all the DVDs were fine. I will reproduce my post here:

Positive Benson's World (UK) experience.
I ordered some DVDs from Bensons World in the UK (bensonsworld.co.uk) about a week and a half ago.

Before I ever ordered I sent an email asking some questions related to international shipping. They suprised me with a very prompt (within less than a day) reply that was detailed, clear and to the point. After a couple days, I sent them a follow-up email asking a couple more questions. Again, I rec'd a very prompt, helpful reply. I was impressed as I wasn't even a paying customer at this point, yet I rec'd prompt, efficient, and curteous replies.

One of the questions I asked dealt with the issue of floaters. They volunteered to take the DVD discs out of their cases and put them in separate sleeves for me. I thought it was nice that they volunteered to do this instead of me having to ask.

I ordered the DVDs and requested that they take the discs out of their packaging and place them in sleeves as they volunteered to do.

It took about a week from the time I placed the order until I got a confirmation email stating that the DVDs had been shipped (their site says that this part generally takes 5-7 days). I got the DVDs about three days after receiving the "shipped" email and I am in the north central/eastern part of the US. Not bad from the UK to the US, especially considering two of the three days were Saturday and Sunday.

The DVDs arrived wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by brown, corrugated wrapping paper/envelope. I immediately checked for the discs. They had taken them out of the package and protected them as they said they would. Two of the three were placed securly inside a 2-cd jewel case while the third was in a plastic sleeve. the discs had been packed at the center of the package between the DVD cases. As far as condition of the discs, it was great, they looked like DVDs, not drink coasters. At first sight, two were apparently flawless and the third had some very slight blemishes that I would attribute more to the handling at the factory. I haven't played all three movies all the way through yet to make sure there are no authoring or other problems like a real small scratch or blemish I missed seeing the first time.

Good prices, good service, and only about a week and a half from order placement to arrival in a different country. Not bad at all.
Old 11-06-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts
I have had nothing but good experiences with Bensonsworld. I've ordered from them about 6 times in the past year and never got a floater.
Old 11-06-01, 07:04 PM

I've ordered from BensonsWorld and have had nothing but a great experience with them. In fact, they're my favorite U.K. etailer.