Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Reviews] Multiple films (HK)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-31-01, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

All Men Are Brothers: Blood of the Leopard (1993)

The Film - 6/10

It was a decent flick - it started off rather slow, but picked up 1/3 of the way through. Elvis Tsui was outstanding in this film - his best work I think. Tony Leung was good too I thought. Lots of flying-fu in this, but it was not as much of the wire kind as it was the trampoline kind and quick cuts. Still it was fun to watch. The male bonding bordered on going beyond "brothers" to being a little bit on the gay side (not that there's anything wrong with that )... I felt they tried a little too hard to illustrate how good of friends these two were.

The Plot - 5/10

It's a period film with flying swordplay. Basically this military general who is honest, loyal and respected meets up with this uncooth monk and they become great friends and constantly fight with each other for fun. They swear brotherhood and then the general guy gets framed and is sentenced to death and the monk comes to the rescue blah blah... it's just good friends vs. evil guys. It's like a buddy-cop film in historical China. Nothing groundbreaking.

The Action - 6.5/10

Decent fights, but nothing too amazing. The beauty of it is that there is so much of it. This film is packed with fighting.

The DVD - 5/10

Colors were well saturated and looked nice. Decent Transfer. Sound was ok. Subtitles were burned-in, but mostly easily readable.

What I Learned -

I learned that two men can love each other and take baths together and it doesn't make them gay.

Extreme Crisis (1998)

The Film - 4.5/10

Die Hard meets The Rock is what I've heard this film amounts to. I think this film shares little with each film individually, but basically you can make general comparisons to these films. Shu Qi is in this and she is a little underused for my taste. After the first 15 minutes you can turn it off and you've seen the best this film has to offer pretty much. The acting is a little stiff and the English is very forced. This film has alot of English spoken in it and they don't know when to pause in their sentences. I think they used English appropriately, but the actors just weren't coached well enough on how to speak it correctly. This movie also suffered from bad foley and a weak score... the score was a typical action movie score that kept repeating throughout - if you watch the film on a small TV with it turned down low, you won't even notice. The foley (sound effects) department couldn't always land all the punches on time with what was going on on screen... a little distracting at times. Not the worst film ever, but it has a few merits.

The Plot - 4/10

The plot was garbage about this terrorist group who gets their hands on some chemicals that can wipe out the entire city of HK and take over a TV station. They demand that their leader is released from prison or the city will be destroyed. Inept SDU officers die left and right and an unlikely pair of rebel police officers take it upon themselves to thwart the evil scheme. It's a silly action film - what do you expect? It's kinda like Shiri, but not nearly as good.

The Action - 5.5/10

Not the worst thing I've ever seen - plenty of explosions and gunfire. Films like this make me think the SDU is worthless - but there's some films out there that say otherwise, so that's ok. Some of the effects were actually good and there was a driving sequence in the beginning that was pretty cool (if you can overlook a few physically impossible moments.

The DVD - 7.5/10

This DVD by Universe had some decent extras - you could even say it's packed almost. The transfer wasn't the best though - you don't notice really until the end credits when you realize the resolution is poor enough that the credits appear blurry like you're watching a VCD. The colors were good though and it's a clean print. I guess I can't complain too much about the transfer - had I not seen the credits problem I wouldn't have noticed. The sound I can't comment on too much cuz I watched it on my small TV and not in my living room theater. For the money - it's a good buy if you like the film.

What I Learned -

I learned that if you put Shu Qi in a movie, I'll keep it in my DVD library - and no matter how bad that movie is, I won't score it below a 4.

Needing You (2000)

The Film - 7/10

This was a cute little romantic comedy with Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng. The acting was great and I just kinda liked everything about it. I don't think Andy Lau is good in roles like this though - I don't really see the appeal - I was gonna give it a 6.5 because of him and the ending, but I don't think I should bring personal feelings into the rating.

The Plot - 7/10

Sammi plays a quirky girl who is looking for Mr. Right (what else is new?). Andy plays her boss who is a womanizer and quite cocky (what else is new again?). Sammi's character kinda gets thrust into Andy's personal life and they end up falling for each other. Or something like that... Things get a little crazy when Sammi is courted by a young good-looking millionare. [gasp] It's kinda dumb - but as romantic comedies go - it's fun.

The Action - N/A

This is a romantic comedy - there is no action. There is a bit of Andy making a scene and throwing things and there's some motorcycles and some people run instead of walk occasionally...

The DVD - 6/10

It's decent - good transfer - good sound. To be honest, I don't recall what extras it had, but being a Mei Ah disc I wouldn't expect any. I can't even recall if the subs were burned in or not. I can look if you care and edit this post... I just get the feeling that nobody gives a rat's arse about my reviews on here.

What I learned -

I learned something that requires spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
I learned that being rich and good-looking won't get Sammi Cheng to marry you - what a drag.
Old 10-31-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reviews probably make a bit more sense in the Asian DVD Guide forum, where Muldoon scrapes them up and files them into their appropriate movie.

As for Needing You, it has one of the better transfers around (for an HK movie that is), so to me 6/10 seems a bit low.
Old 10-31-01, 11:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
The reviews probably make a bit more sense in the Asian DVD Guide forum, where Muldoon scrapes them up and files them into their appropriate movie.

As for Needing You, it has one of the better transfers around (for an HK movie that is), so to me 6/10 seems a bit low.
I agree, Needing You is a 9.5+/10 for me definitely a must for any hk romance comedy fans.
Old 11-01-01, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
Ok. Enough said. I won't pollute this forum with reviews anymore.
Old 11-01-01, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Trigger

Ok. Enough said. I won't pollute this forum with reviews anymore.
I feel I have to throw in my .02-

I hope you're kidding. I think reviews belong in here. I believe that reviews posted here help lead people to films that may interest them (who otherwise may never hear of them, myself included).
The other (less desireable) alternative is to browse thru a zillion titles at a place like AsianDVDguide to find movies that interest you.

Don't get me wrong, I use both methods. (I would venture a guess that I am a part of the minority in this way. Having the patience to sift thru a lot of pages and reviews to find what I think is the 'good stuff'.) I agree that posting them over at the Asiandvdguide forum is a good idea for archival/reference purposes. Post at both places!

okay, that's my .02 (.15 HKD)- which if I remember correctly, when I was there, there were no denominations under $0.10. Everything $5 and less was coin too. I'd like to see that happen here (probably never see it though). Can anybody verify my foggy memories of HKD currency?

cheers,
Gabe
Old 11-01-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick
I hope you're kidding. I think reviews belong in here. I believe that reviews posted here help lead people to films that may interest them (who otherwise may never hear of them, myself included).
Agreed, I appreciate your reviews
Old 11-01-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trigger, I like your reviews, too!

I recently saw "Needing You" -- romcoms are not my genre, but it was kind of charming. Sammi's character was a tad annoying, however!
Old 11-01-01, 03:56 PM

And besides, I was thinking of writing reviews too. You could say I have been 'motivated' by Trigger's reviews.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 11-01-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I just don't want to alienate anyone from this forum... back when there was the One and Only HK DVD thread before HK cinema was added to this forum, some people started getting angry with me for commenting on stuff too much and they stopped visiting the thread. I don't know - I just don't want to be contributing so much that people like YH get annoyed seeing my posts and stops coming here... YH knows a lot more than I do about this stuff. I've liked Asian cinema for a long time, but I really caught the bug when I realized that I could buy DVDs from HK for like 7 bucks each.

On the other hand, I like stating my opinion about stuff and sharing it with others and I type really fast so it's not even a big deal for me to type up a review of a film I just saw. Sometime I'll probably get my website up to speed and start putting reviews on it. Then perhaps I'll just link you guys to my reviews or something if you want. I don't know... Is it just you three that like my reviews? Want to hear my thoughts on Taxi?
Old 11-02-01, 10:21 AM

Want to hear my thoughts on Taxi?
Yes. I keep hearing that I should get it, but I have no clue what it's about.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 11-02-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Me, too! I'm curious what it's about.
Old 11-05-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know... Is it just you three that like my reviews? Want to hear my thoughts on Taxi?
I'm sure there are allot of lurkers how enjoy your reviews. I say keep doing them, and forget about what other people say or think, they do have the choice to read them or not. I like getting different opinions on movies. And, your likes are close to mine, so KEEP IT UP

I saw Taxi, and just loved it. Fast paste. and very fun.... Wish I had a region free player, so that I could see 2...

Has there been a review for Taxi 2? If not, I would love for someone to post one.
Old 11-05-01, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by roseart
Has there been a review for Taxi 2? If not, I would love for someone to post one.
Well, it seems you've already found it, but perhaps this will benefit others:
Here's Trigger's reviews for Taxi 1 & 2.

cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 11-05-01 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 11:32 PM

He was just about gone. *sigh*

Clint
Old 11-05-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bruce Law might be a great stuntman, but he can't direct an action scene worth a damn. Extreme Crisis has all the elements needed for a massively entertaining over-the-top action flick, but his direction just kills every scene. His editing, camerawork, shot selection, etc - They all work mightily to drain the tension, excitment and clarity from the action scenes. With the same stunts, budget, actors, story but directed by Gordon Chan (2000 AD) and you'd have an HK action classic. All you have now is a big waste of time.
Old 11-06-01, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon
He was just about gone. *sigh*

Clint
Ok fine - you get what you want... I won't post reviews anymore. Anyone (all 3 of u ) who found my reviews useful can thank Rocky_Raccoon (aka Clint) for my not doing them anymore. He doesn't post much, but when he does - it seems to be a zinger at me. I don't know why he hates me so much, but it seems like something that won't go away. I probably said I didn't like a film he recommended me or something... Five Element Ninja or something - I don't even know. Anyway - maybe with me not posting to this forum much anymore, he'll come around and post his reviews for you.
Old 11-06-01, 10:20 AM

WhooooOOOOOO. Happy day indeed. Please don't thank me all at once people. LOL. I kinda doubt the great mentor Trigger will be gone tho so don't get all happy yet. mUhahHAHHAHA.

Quit being a crybaby and get over yourself Trigger. I don't care what you do. I quit coming here regularly when this became TriggerTalk instead of DVDTalk. I actually have a life and don't post every few seconds here like some people I know. If that makes you truly happy Trig man go right ahead and post until your fingers bleed .

Clint
Old 11-06-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rocky_Raccoon

Trigger, Who the hell cares what RR (Troll) has to say but you. You are one of a few who takes the time to let us know what you think, and I appreciate it.

Please post your website, once you get it going with reviews, and I will visit. Don't think you should stop posting reviews here though.
Old 11-06-01, 02:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rocky_Raccoon WhooooOOOOOO. Happy day indeed. Please don't thank me all at once people. LOL. I kinda doubt the great mentor Trigger will be gone tho so don't get all happy yet. mUhahHAHHAHA.

Quit being a crybaby and get over yourself Trigger. I don't care what you do. I quit coming here regularly when this became TriggerTalk instead of DVDTalk. I actually have a life and don't post every few seconds here like some people I know. If that makes you truly happy Trig man go right ahead and post until your fingers bleed .Clint
This really isn't the kind of attitude that helps the Forum: if a member doesn't like someone else's threads/reviews etc he/she is free to ignore them or to start his/her own.

Reviews are always welcome in this forum. Well-mannered discussion/debate likewise is to be encouraged: people are going to have different opinions since a lot of this is subjective. There is no reason for thoughtful adults to fall out over such inconsequential differences in opinion.

Rocky_Raccoon, your comments are little more than a personal attack. Personal attacks are not welcome here from you or anyone else. Trolling is also frowned upon. I'll be emailing you shortly.

I'm closing the thread as it seems to have taken a wrong turn. Having taken this step, I really don't wish to see a continuation of the negative side of this argument in this forum. Let it end here, please.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum

Last edited by benedict; 11-06-01 at 02:22 PM.