Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is The Ring Virus any good?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-30-01, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A search turned up that some people have purchased the title, but I haven't been able to find any real reviews of it. I want to see The Ring, but if the Ring Virus is a fairly good adaptation, then I'll go with that until an NTSC version of the Ring becomes available.

So, anyhow: Does it hold up well? Is it terrible?
Old 10-30-01, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm... I thought I did a review of the Ring Virus... apparently not.

Well - it's been a few weeks since I watched it, but I remember it being pretty much the same as The Ring with a few exceptions. When I say it was the same - I mean certain scenes were identical - many actually... however, they weren't done nearly as creepy. I saw The Ring first, so I can't say if I would've been more creeped out seeing this one first, but I can say that I wouldn't have been more creeped out than I was when I saw The Ring. They did change some key aspects of the original that I didn't quite like. The relationship between the 2 main characters is now that they just meet each other through this circumstance wheras in the original the two were estranged spouses of each other. The way it was in the original created a much more interesting dynamic in my opinion. Also - I didn't really feel that the scares were delivered as well in the Ring Virus.

If you really don't plan on getting a region free player or if you don't have plans for a DVD player in your computer, then I'd say go ahead and get the Ring Virus - I mean - it's not as good, but it's still decent. Not even the same impact, but it will at least give you an idea of what the Ring is like if you're never going to see it... Hollywood is probably going to release their version of the Ring before the Ring comes to R0 or R1 with subtitles. However, this is all said with my primary advice being to get yourself a region free player and watch the Ring as it is a better film. Even if you just watch it on your computer - you can certainly pick up a DVD drive and make it region free... The ring sells for like 15 pounds or so on some sites - which is a little over 20 bucks - not bad I say. Plus - if you see The Ring - you might as well see the sequel. Ring Virus doesn't give you a sequel.

edit: I'm not saying the Ring Virus is terrible - it's decent. Just not as good. I'd still suggest picking it up - but you should watch The Ring first. If you want - I can suggest ways to be region free.
Old 10-30-01, 03:43 AM

My biggest problem isn't so much the region free thing (I've got that handled, yep); but I'm not sure how well my Apex would handle anamorphic PAL on a 4:3 NTSC set (it handles non-anamorphic PAL okay, but I'm not a fan of stretched or cropped images).

I was sort of hoping there was a pending NTSC release w/English subs somewhere, but if the odds aren't good, then that's out. Based on your review, I think I'll just have to take a chance with the PAL release.

Thanks a lot for your info!
Old 10-30-01, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My bad - Just checked and the Ring DVD from the UK is a Region 0 disc. So - if you have a DVD player on your PC - that might be something. The biggest hurdle here is the PAL to NTSC transfer. My Malata handled it beautifully, but it is indeed anamorphic. I just popped it in my PC and gave it the stretch and I gotta say - it's not that bad. It's only 1.85:1, so the stretch isn't all that pronounced. I say go for it - I also should encourage you to pick up Ring 2 along with it cuz you're going to want to see em both.
Old 10-31-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to second Trigger's advice. My wife and I watched both Ring and Ring 2 on my Sampo (which stretches anamorphic PAL to 4:3) and it looked fine. I only noticed the stretching in one or two spots, and my wife never realized that anything was wrong.
Old 10-31-01, 01:08 AM

Alright... You've both convinced me. I've wanted to see Ring for a while, anyhow, so now it and the sequel are firmly placed on my 'to buy' list.