Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now Playing In Asian Cinemas....

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-29-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to start this thread as a means to get and disseminate information on Asian movies that are currently playing in theatres throughout Asia. HKMDB seems to lag behind with this, and even Kowloonside is sometimes not up to date with this. I wind up having to wade through Asian sites, which are not only slow to pop up on my screen, but my reading comprehension is mitigated quite a bit (my English reading comprehension is so much better). I only know about the HK movies mostly, so I apologize for my ignorance on other Asian countries. If people can provide more information, links, etc. it would be great!

Upcoming movies are ok as well...

Here is what is playing in HK right now as of October 29, 2001:

La Brassiere - a Lau Ching Wan and Louis Koo comedy about these two as bra architect/designers. It has done quite well at the box office, and will wind up being one of the top 10 movies box-office wise at the end of the year.

Love Me, Love My Money - Tony Leung Chui-Wai/Hsu Chi rich guy meets ordinary girl romantic movie.

Beijing Rocks - realism-type movie about the Beijing underground music scene. With Daniel Wu, Hsu Chi
Old 10-29-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love Me Love My Money review:
http://www.totallyhk.com/TimeOff/Ent...5025441300.asp

La Brassiere Review:
http://www.totallyhk.com/TimeOff/Ent...2005629704.asp

Beijing Rocks:
http://www.totallyhk.com/TimeOff/Ent...5022143704.asp
Old 10-29-01, 01:33 PM

Cool, thanks for posting these.
La Brassiere & Love Me Love My $ sound good. I'll have to watch for the dvds.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-29-01, 07:06 PM

I guess one recent one that should also be noted would be Jan Dara, a film from Thailand with HK model/actress Christie Chung(from Stephen Chiau's Love on Delivery)and produced by Peter Chan Ho-Sum. With it's catagory III rating when it played in Hong Kong, it had a surprisingly good box office take of near 7 million dollars. I think one main reason for people to watch it was because of how far Christie went for this role, which included several nude scenes. But the buzz I've heard about this movie is that it's pretty arty and moves too slow to really appeal to mainstream audience, especially with its plot that deals with incest.
Old 10-29-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Coming Soon
Friend

Cast: Jang Dong-Gun, Yoo Oh-Sung, Suh Tae-Hwa
Director: Kwak Kyung-taek
Release Date: Early November
Sypnosis: FRIEND is based on real events and characters from Director Kwak, Kyung-taek's days of youth. Kwak, who was born and raised in Pusan, projects his life story and the friends who he grew up with onto the silver screen. In spite of weaving imagination and insignificant feelings into fiction, he presents real situations and characters, which makes this film ever more appealing.

Out Now (Oct 25)
Beijing Rocks

Official Website
Cast: Shu Qi, Daniel Wu, Geng Le
Director: Mabel Cheung
Release Date: 25 Oct 2001
Sypnosis: From the dusty streets of the poor quarters of Beijing to the ultra-modern east side of town, Beijing Rocks chronicles an amazing musical and spiritual journey into the lives, hopes and dreams of a new generation of Chinese youngsters who have given themselves to music.
Hard rock music --
with a Chinese touch.

Coming Soon
Princess-D

Official Website
Cast: Daniel Wu, Edison Chen, Lee Sin Je
Director: Sylvia Chang
Release Date: In Post Production
Sypnosis: In Princess D, a pair of young computer designers create the world's first digital pop diva. Their success means they have to find a human counterpart for their creation and this leads to a bitter-sweet tale of love and loss Director Sylvia Chang explores the way human emotion remains the same in the wake of the flood of information technology.
Old 11-16-01, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought more people might contribute to this, but I guess not. Here's what's playing currently in HK as of November 15, 2001 (local HK movies):

OL MOTHER aka DUMMY MUMMY WITHOUT A BABY - A comedy starring Miriam Yeung Chin-Wah, Edison Chen Kwoon-Hei and Wyman Wong Wai-Man.
http://www.mov3.com/trailer/dummy_mu...baby/photo.htm (Stills)

Advertising agency employee Fong Lai Guen during a company interview insults the son of the company owner, then had a dispute with Monica, a superior, and almost lost her job due to a mishap. At this time she suddenly announces that she is with child and the company according to labor regulations cannot terminate her. As everyone suspects the identity of the father, model maker Ching Ka King was willing to help. She worked hard to play pregnant while her colleagues did more than taking care of her. Guen feels more and more guilty, but because of a basketball sneaker contract she cannot reveal her secret yet. Yet Guen during the commercial shoot is mistaken of having her water bag broken......

This movie is doing quite well in the box office and could break into the top 10 box office for 2001.

Two other films:

KILLING END - A drama starring Andy Hui Chi-On and Loletta Lee Lai-Chun. Loletta is in the hole with gangsters, owing a large sum of money. Herman Yau Lai-To directs.
http://www.mov3.com/trailer/killing_end/photo.htm (Stills)

Nam Dik is a plain clothes cop. One night while on duty he discovers colleague Ah Shuen's involvement in corruption. Actually Shuen's girlfriend owes a huge debt. Dik represents Shuen to negotiate with but accidentally kills Fai Siu, son of Hong Kong mob boss Jesus. Dik's case is ruled as self defense, but Jesus wants him falling to his death in three days. Everyone around Dik becomes a victim. Shuen is beaten to death; Shuen's girlfriend is sexually assault; Uncle Tak on this way to negotiate is run over and became a cripple; Dik's mother is forced to run half naked on the street; June, the woman who Dik loves the most, cannot escape her fate either. Dik finally understands what Jesus wants is an eye for an eye...

THE LOSER'S CLUB starts November 15. Eric Tsang, Francis Ng, Michael Tse, Maggie Siu, Ruby Wong.
http://www.mov3.com/trailer/the_lose...b/losers02.jpg

No matter how talented television station producer Nam is he cannot succeed, as his future is in the hands of executive Yiu's hands. Nam creates a new crazy image for Ken, a singer past his prime, and instantly makes him the focus of the press. Yiu wants to invite Ken to appear on a television series to increase ratings. Nam wants to become the producer of a major variety show in exchange. Yiu agrees. As Nam is working hard, Yiu announces that Ken's image has negative effect on the television station's reputation and wants Nam to turn on him. Nam seeing months of his own effort possibly going to waste actually agrees......

(Who writes these reviews?)

Last edited by Yellow Hammer; 11-16-01 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-16-01, 12:42 PM

FYI, you can see what movies are currently showing by visiting:
But they are all in traditional or simplified Chinese, so you'll need to know how to read Chinese.

Beeeil
Old 11-16-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Beeeil
FYI, you can see what movies are currently showing by visiting:
But they are all in traditional or simplified Chinese, so you'll need to know how to read Chinese.

Beeeil
oh cool, a good synopsis. The HK one looks like a couple of days behind, but still...
Old 11-16-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dummy Mummy review:
http://www.totallyhk.com/TimeOff/Ent...4180303578.asp
Old 11-20-01, 11:45 AM

YH, do you know how Harry Potter is doing in HK and TW? It's breaking records all over the US but I haven't heard anything about how it's doing in the Asian countries.

Beeeil
Old 11-20-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Beeeil
YH, do you know how Harry Potter is doing in HK and TW? It's breaking records all over the US but I haven't heard anything about how it's doing in the Asian countries.

Beeeil
Not out yet in HK, and I'm not sure when.
Old 11-20-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if director Dante Lam (Hit Team) has a new movie coming out? I saw some clips of a SDU team shooting and diving and what not and it seemed to be related to Dante.
Old 11-20-01, 08:13 PM

From what I've read, Dante Lam is currently shooting the sequel to "Running out of Time" with Ekin Cheng and Lau CHing Wan. Apprently, Johnnie To is only the producer this time around.
Old 11-20-01, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Kevin8284
From what I've read, Dante Lam is currently shooting the sequel to "Running out of Time" with Ekin Cheng and Lau CHing Wan. Apprently, Johnnie To is only the producer this time around.
Dante Lam's left the directors seat though, and To's had to take over.

Heroes had a shift aswell. Tung Wai and his team have left, but been replaced by wire work legend Tony Ching Siu Tung

Last edited by yangshouwen; 11-20-01 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-22-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lan Yu, the movie with 10 Golden Horse nominations and sure to be one of the favorites for HKFA Best movie for 2001, came out this week. Here's a review.

http://www.totallyhk.com/TimeOff/Ent...1232221704.asp
Old 11-23-01, 02:33 AM

I've read in one of those entertainment magazines(probably the same article about Lam leaving the director's seat)that Johnnie To decided to cut Ekin Cheng's role significantly because To dislikes Ekin's professionalism. I guess we won't know what happened until the movie makes it to theaters.

Meanwhile, the sequel to the Lau Ching Wan comedy hit La Brassiere is now in the works. It will hit theaters next Summer and the two male leads will return as desginers for a baby product manufactuer.
Old 11-23-01, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't notice that Running Out of Time 2 was also mentioned in this thread. I can't wait for Princess-D, Love Me Love My Money, La Brassiere, and Beijing Rocks. La Brassiere especially, but Princess-D looks like it's got CG characters in it like Final Fantasy - perhaps it'll be good.

Beijing Rocks is available on DVD through DDDHouse.

Also interested to hear about Dummy Mommy, Every Dog Has His Date, and Nightmare.

Last edited by Trigger; 11-23-01 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-25-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The romantic comedy Every Dog Has His Date came out a couple of days ago (Nov 22 to be exact). Stars Nick Cheung and Michelle Reis. Looking at the first day's box office, this one's not particularly can't-miss material.

Here's a early review:

http://www.cantonkid.com/EveryDog.htm
Old 11-25-01, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh - that's the review I read that made me interested. I know it only gave it 2 and a half out of 5, but it did say it was "fun" despite being stupid... and sometimes I like films like that.
Old 12-12-01, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Week of Dec 7

well 3 new films are out in HK. One of them, Avenging Fist aka In The Name of Heroes, is doing very well at the box office and looks to be a hit. All star cast with Alexander Lee Wang Hom, Stephen Fung, Roy Cheung, Yuen Biao, etc.

two others are out, with mixed results. Let's Sing Along had a lot of billboard advertising when I was out in HK, but doesn't seem like it's catching on. I certainly would have thought it would given that it stars Anita Mui and funnyman Dayo Wong. Finally, Stolen Love, a romance movie is also out. More on these later...
Old 12-13-01, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good reviews of Avenging Fist, Let's Sing Along, and Stolen Love:

http://www.cantonkid.com/AvengingFist.htm
http://www.cantonkid.com/Letssing.htm
http://www.cantonkid.com/Stolen.htm
Old 12-13-01, 02:00 AM
Cool New Member

about time the Tekken movie came out...
Old 12-13-01, 10:24 AM

the views at mov3.com seem positive for Ken Sun (tekken/avenging fist....)(link) and also Wilson Yip's "2002" (link) from Golden Harvest.
Starring Nicholas Tse, Stephen Fung and Sam Lee in a Hong Kong twist on Ghostbusters (from the trailer. A range of gadgets, guns, martial arts and coolness).
Old 12-13-01, 10:37 AM

a movie called hwa san go just came out in korea(i think the english spelling is a little bit different)....i just watched it tonite..definitely a movie based on special effects(matrix type effects)..if you're into these types of movies you'll probably like it..the only bad part is that even if you understand korean, they use alot of old dialect so at some points i got lost..
Old 12-13-01, 05:39 PM
MiK
Cool New Member

I was in Korea last week and on my last day my gf and I decided to either watch this or Dusabuilche (closest English translation: "Gang boss/Teacher/Father are one and the same").

A friend of hers had seen both at the premieres and recommended Dusabuilche slightly more, so we decided on that. While I thought it was quite good and funny (think a mix of Fight Back to School/Nowhere to Hide/No.3 brimming with outrage against the corrupt side of Korean education and school system) I must admit I was really looking forward to Hwasango from that absolutely badass movie trailer that reminded me of Japanese High School Fighting comics mixed with the Matrix. Alas, I'll have to wait for the DVD when it becomes available here in the States.

For the record, the reason my gf's friend didn't enjoy Hwasango as much was due to the "overly long final fight" between the hero and the teacher. She said she got bored.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.