Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Review] Lost and Found (HK & Scotland)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[Review] Lost and Found (HK & Scotland)

Old 10-27-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
[Review] Lost and Found (HK & Scottland)

Lost and Found (1996) (Hong Kong)

Running Time: 110 Minutes

DVD - Mei Ah, All Code (R0) NTSC

Picture - Letterbox

Sound - Cantonese & Mandarin Dolby Digital

Subtitles - English, Chinese (Non-Removable Burned-in)

Extras - None - not even a menu.

The Film - 7/10
The DVD - 4/10

Starring - Kelly Chen, Michael Wong, and Kaneshiro Takeshi
Director - Lee Chi Ngai

WAAAAAAHHHHH! This film is so sad... it had me crying like a little schoolgirl. Lost and Found is about a young woman played by Kelly Chen who discovers she has a serious illness and sets out to find someone. The story unfolds in a non-linear fashion in a semi-artsy way that reminds me of a Jim Jarmusch film somewhat. She meets up with a guy named Worm who runs a small business that helps people find lost things. She enlists his help to find a man she felt could make her life more complete.

Not that there's anything mysterious going on in the plot, but I don't really want to spoil anything for you if you intend to watch it, so that's all the plot details I'm going to give at this point. I will say that I wasn't thrilled about the ending, but it certainly didn't ruin the film for me at all. That leaves me to discuss the other aspects of the film. The cinematography seems to be more of a photographer's vision rather than a cinematographer's vision as everything that flashes on screen seems to be a snapshot of life and scenery. The colors were fairly neutral and washed out adding to the tone of the bleak subject material. I especially liked the haunting music tracks - one in particular is called "Dance Me To The End Of Love" and it says it's by Leonard Cohen, but sounds more like a cross between Tom Waits and Concrete Blonde...

The acting is decent - Kelly Chen is pretty much a wooden character no matter what movie she's in, but she manages to squeeze out a bit of emotion and even some sympathy from the audience. Michael Wong seems to speak English like a native of the U.S. yet his character is supposed to be from Scottland. It was a little distracting, but not much. I kinda liked that his character spoke in English and Cantonese back and forth like he was comfortable with either. Kaneshiro was excellent as the guy who tracks down lost items. The rest of the supporting cast did their job as well.

The DVD is nothing special from Mei Ah - actually it's a bit disappointing since there is no menu, not even for chapter stops. The transfer is acceptable albeit a little cut off on the sides. The subs are burned-in but easily read... Often times, subtitles like this get washed out when someone wears a white shirt or the sun is out or it's just a bright background - but perhaps it helped that this film had a gloomy and grey atmosphere to it because I never had trouble reading the subs. They are fairly accurate (as far as I can tell) and there's only a few misspellings ang grammar problems, less mistakes than average even. The sound is fine as well since this is a talking film. All told, this is a perfectly acceptable DVD for this film - but a better one would be nice and this film probably deserves one if In The Mood For Love does (though not as much).

I'd recommend this film to those who like Romance/Dramas that make you weepy. Perhaps it touched me the way it did because my father is ill. It's not completely tragic like Dancer In The Dark, but it's certainly sad. Anyway - from me.

Last edited by Trigger; 10-27-01 at 09:00 PM.